Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. Lay it on me. What are your favorite solutions for cleaning small pistol primer pockets?

I'm kidding. :rofl:

Here is my real question:

I've not thought too much about primer pockets (swaging, uniforming, etc.). But all of the sudden, I find myself thinking a good deal about primer pockets. I have two issues. Hoping for one solution to both.

One, I am moving to load a bunch more 223 for the AR. I have not had to deal with a lot of crimped pockets to date. Those I have had, I've just knocked out with a deburring tool. Looking at a better solution.

Issue 2: More than half of my .40 brass is Winchester. I also am stocked up on CCI 500 primers. The problem is that the two don't love each other well. Seating CCI primers into Win cases is tough. So thinking of a tool that may help expand the Win primer pockets.

I've been looking at the Dillon Super Swage 600, and the RCBS bench mount swaging tool (the Dillon looks nice. How much nicer than the less expensive RCBS?). I know those will both deal with primer pocket crimps. Will they do anything for the Win 40 brass to help those CCI primers seat better? Or will I need some sort of other tool.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
The Super Swager should help clean up the primer pocket diameter, at least enough to get the primer started. Oddly, I have been using Tula primers for .40 and .223 and haven't had much of a problem.

Although the Dillon Super Swager works well, it is terribly slow.

There are primer pocket reamers here:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=11892

Once YOUR brass is swaged, all you have to do is be certain you don't pick up somebody else's brass. BTW, even Wally World Federal .223 brass seems to be swaged.

Richard

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Super Swager should help clean up the primer pocket diameter, at least enough to get the primer started. Oddly, I have been using Tula primers for .40 and .223 and haven't had much of a problem.

Although the Dillon Super Swager works well, it is terribly slow.

There are primer pocket reamers here:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=11892

Once YOUR brass is swaged, all you have to do is be certain you don't pick up somebody else's brass. BTW, even Wally World Federal .223 brass seems to be swaged.

Richard
Thanks Richard. I was watching a vid from RCBS, and the guy said that all Fed 223 brass has primer pocket crimp.

·
Crusty Member
10,915 Posts
Not necessarily relevant, but I bought the SS600 for doing .223 and found it's also useful for .30 carbine. My Aguilla .30 carbine brass does not have crimped primer pockets, but they did seem to be awfully tight for CCI primers, and hitting them with the SS600 did help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have and use the RCBS Trim mate case prep center. It has accessory tools for removing crimps and uniforming the pocket, as well as deburring tools, etc. i love mine. I retired all of my hand tools for these jobs.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Thanks Richard. I was watching a vid from RCBS, and the guy said that all Fed 223 brass has primer pocket crimp.
That is my experience. A number of folks swear up and down that civilian brass isn't crimped and, I'll admit, the Federal crimp doesn't look like a military crimp but it is a crimp nevertheless. I actually think Federal is swaging the pocket to tighten it up, not to retain the primer.

Richard

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Ok. Lay it on me. What are your favorite solutions for cleaning small pistol primer pockets?
Darn, I answered the wrong question...

My favorite way to deal with .223 pockets is by loading them on my 1050. The swaging station takes care of all the details on the way by.

Richard

·
Registered
936 Posts
That is my experience. A number of folks swear up and down that civilian brass isn't crimped and, I'll admit, the Federal crimp doesn't look like a military crimp but it is a crimp nevertheless. I actually think Federal is swaging the pocket to tighten it up, not to retain the primer.

Richard
It's not unusual for Federal primer pockets to be crimped as they are one of the larger suppliers of military ammo.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-11-11/business/35503604_1_bae-systems-ammunition-sales-atk

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have and use the RCBS Trim mate case prep center. It has accessory tools for removing crimps and uniforming the pocket, as well as deburring tools, etc. i love mine. I retired all of my hand tools for these jobs.

That's an interesting angle too. It looks like it costs only $10-15 more than a SS600, and it does more jobs.

Do the accessories switch out pretty quickly?

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
That's an interesting angle too. It looks like it costs only $10-15 more than a SS600, and it does more jobs.

I have the Hornady Case Prep Station and it will also clean up the primer pockets as well as chamfer the crimp.

The thing is, I prefer to not remove metal from the primer pocket. I would rather swage it back into position. So, before I started using the 1050, I used the Super Swager.

I think the SS is a little faster as well.

Richard

·
local trouble maker
9,139 Posts
As far as I am concerned reloading 223 is just a big pain in the ***. But being I am to much of a CRB to buy new I use a super swage 600. Other than using a 1050 I think it is the fastest way to deal with primer pockets.

Look on youtube for a few mods to make them a lot faster.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Just a matter of screwing out one and another back in. Pretty simple.

·
Banned
32,813 Posts
I have been using the RCBS swager on my mostly crimped brass, works pretty good for me.
I think the handle layout looks better on the Dillon unit though.

I'm surprised with the win 40S&W case and CCI500 primers are giving you issues:dunno:

I have about 4000 40S&W cases with about 80% being Winchester and ALL I use anymore is CCI500's in them and no issues at all for me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts