close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lets talk motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dabigguns357, Sep 30, 2012.

1. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

No offense intended.

I couldn't tell scale from your avatar. I was at a local motorcycle shop this weekend and saw huge motor scooters there - among them, the Honda SilverWing and the Yamaha Majesty. The salesman said that not only were they fast, but also that they were technological marvels.

They look pretty cool, but I'm not riding anything that sports a modesty panel.
    ;)

[​IMG]

I hope Erik Buell makes it this time.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Those are racing bikes though. I think that his street motos are going to be maybe in the mid to high teens.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I don't get the point of maxi scooters either. The whole point of riding a scooter is that it's small and tend to be less expensive than a regular motorcycle. These maxi scooters are just as big and heavy if not heavier than a moto, yet have crappier handling.

However, apparently there's some value in it because BMW and Aprilia had just joined the Japanese in the maxi scooter field.

4. Bflying

Bflying

5. berto62

berto62

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yep, sounds like he has three different designs for the street: sport, naked and adventure/touring (something like that).

Hopefully they would come out OK without any glaring issues and if the prices are reasonable (mid to high teens), I'd love to snap up a naked bike. I thought about the 1125CR before Harley-Davidson ditched the whole shebang, but then I couldn't bring myself to be seen at an H-D dealership for purchasing or servicing. The thought of having to wear assless chaps and leatherette vests was simply too frightening for me to overcome.

7. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

I resisted buying a Harley for a long time because I didn't want everybody to think I was an accountant or a lawyer.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I am a lawyer, so it doesn't bother me.

Since I was 5 or 6 I've never been interested in anything but a Harley and other stuff in the same subculture (Indian, custom choppers and bobbers, etc.), even though I have owned Hondas. By the time I was in first grade I had chopper models, magazines and trading cards, Evel Knievel toys, etc. I would be embarrassed to be seen on a sport bike - not meant as an insult, just the literal truth. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit to people that my little brother used to ride sport bikes.

9. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Motorcycles are not comfortable. If I am going to tolerate the uncomfortableness of a motorcycle it better do something a car wont.

Therefore a harley makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

Of the recent crop of bikes, the only ones that make sense to me are S1000RR, ZX14, GSX13, K1300S, and a Duc 1199 Panigale.

10. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

:whistling:

11. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

At this point I would be happy just ride a scooter. It's been a while since I been on anything and have that desire again. Y'all make me jealous in a good way

12. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

A racing scooter! Hahahah! :rofl:

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

People whose bikes are ridden for short distances in warm dry weather tend to make fun of the gear worn for many years by those who spend full days riding hundreds of miles across the country. Hit the highway for 11-12 hours on a 45 degree day and you'll quickly understand what the chaps are for. A leather superhero suit is only practical for guys who are going home to change in a few hours, so chaps give you protection that you can take off and put in a saddlebag when you get where you are going. I've left home in the rain at below 40 degrees for a 700 miles ride - a whole different thing than zipping around town on a sport bike.

Vest? Gives me pockets, holds my gun/phone/wallet/knife/magazines/etc. and gives me a good shield against the wind on a long ride. Not to mention being a good place for club patches.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's something that you geezer glide riders don't understand:
    taking tight radius corners at breakneck speed.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Riders who actually ride long distances (i.e. myself) have gears dedicated for that and it doesn't involve chaps and vests.

An Aerostitch suit is perfect for long or short ride, gives plenty of protection from the elements and decent protection in crashes. A full face helmet gives protection from the elements, crashes, bug strikes, gravel strikes, and a host of other nasty things that true long riders have to endure.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Speed is what motorcycling is all about. Unless you're a typical American rider then it's geezer glide all the way because you wanna look like SAMCRO.

17. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE

I find the I won't ride certain brands or types of bikes attitude confusing, I can't think of a single bike I have rode and got off of unhappy.

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

go back to the beginning of the thread...try a rebel 250 and come back saying that..

19. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

How could I be so silly as to forget that patches are one of the important motorcycle accessories?

20. Sharkey

Sharkey

They race Yamaha TMax in Europe all the time. If you put an after market variator on it, they haul a**. I use to leave the line on my Burgman 650 a lot quicker than other motorcyclists.

The fairing is great for the weather. The under seat storage is great. You just have to get over the stigma of riding a "scooter" ........................ that can go over 100mph.