close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lets talk motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dabigguns357, Sep 30, 2012.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

They're there to sell things legally and not to be nursemaids.

The customer is always right, especially the ones that don't listen to advice.

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Now you've done it!!!

<<Hyosung GT-250 whore...

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You didn't even have the decency to go Japanese...:steamed:

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Korea never bombed Pearl Harbor! HH

5. Halojumper

Halojumper

Touché!

6. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

It was the Germans.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

7. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

I decided that it was time to get something that was made in America into my garage.

[​IMG]

What is that in your avatar and what advantages did it bring to the table to cause you to bring it home?

8. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

Couple of things. First, definitely take a class. Especially because, at least here in IN, the ABATE course was only $75. Saved that much on two months of insurance payments, so just get it over with. Also, if you fail the ABATE course, you honestly shouldn't be allowed within 100 yds of a motorcycle. It was pretty much the absolute basics.

Second thing. Do not be afraid to spend money on gear once you've decided you want to get on the road. I bought an $80 Fulmer helmet for the ABATE course since you need one to take it and I wasn't sure I'd even like it, having never ridden a motorcycle before. Considering that I know we didn't break 30 and maybe didn't even break 20, I feel safe recommending an entry level helmet for that. But definitely go up a step or two before heading out on the road. The noise reduction and comfort are astounding. In the same vein, you can do the ABATE course with minimal gear. A light jacket, gloves, jeans, and boots are all you need; stuff you can probably scavenge from your existing wardrobe. NONE of that stuff is good enough for actual road use. Buy a good armored jacket, buy armored pants, buy better gloves and boots with proper support and protection.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It better be a lot different than the other roads around there. Last year I volunteered to help out a JROTC competition south of Huntington and I probably averaged 25 MPH in my truck on those roads. Made "the Dragon" look like an expressway.

You might try taking MSF basic, then getting a bike, then taking MSF ERC (like basic, but on your own motorcycle). That's what my wife did. The ERC only cost us $25 for a 1-day class, all on the track.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  10. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

We are getting some gear first, then I'm going to sign us both up for classes. We have decided to wait for springe to buy bikes

11. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

It isn't about the engine size, rather it's about seat height. I learned to ride at age 10. When stopping, I had to lean the bike over very far just so I could put a foot down. Small women handle big bikes fine, they just can't hold them up if having to lean to put down a foot.

12. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

I took the MSF course.

I have to say - I thought it was going to be extremely stupid (and the first 20 minutes or so on the track is. "Touch the horn button. Now press the horn for 2 seconds BEEEEEEP. Okay people, now that you've used the horn, touch the high beam switch etc etc"

But the 2nd half of day 1 and all of day 2 were great. The quick braking, swerving, etc. Its not an INCREDIBLE course, but its great with the fundamentals.

Now would be a good time of year to take it. I took it in early July. It was only about 95 but the humidity was over 90%...it jumped up to 100% when it rained but at least the temp dropped to 85. It felt great in jeans, a long sleeve shirt, gloves, full face helmet, boots, etc.

13. Halojumper

Halojumper

LOL, I still have to do that! :)

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Yeah, but Pusan gave plenty of American sailors the clap.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The MSF course usually lends out helmets as well as motorcycles. All you have to do is come with long sleeve shirt, some sort of gloves and boots.

Before you commit to buying gears and spending money, I'd suggest for the old lady to: a) pass the course first, and b) WANTS to ride.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

First of all, it's a joke between me and HollowHead.

Secondly, the thing in my avatar is the Aprilia SR50 Factory - 50-cc of killer two-strokes racing scooter. The advantages did it bring to the tables are: a) it's an Aprilia, b) it's a scooter, c) it's a cool scooter that can take some mean corners, d) it's economical to run about town when I don't have to get on the freeway, e) chicks dig it. And that's why I bought it.

PS Erik Buell Racing (EBR) may just give me a reason to buy American. We shall see how his street motos are going to turn out.

17. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

Oh yea she wants to ride which is real strange because we never really talked about till last summer and now again this year but with more intensity

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'd still suggest to see if she wants to ride after the MSF course. Some people change their minds because they can't master the mechanics of multi-tasking (manipulating various levers and things at the same time, paying attention to the front, the rear, the left and the right at the same time).

I've seen people who quit in the middle of the course, or after the course, said too much hassle.

19. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Excellent advice!!

:thumbsup:

20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

He's going to have to do something about the price. At $45K...it's twice the price of a Panigale S. HH