close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lets talk motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dabigguns357, Sep 30, 2012.

1. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

MSF Course is a great idea, not just for the obvious reasons. I dropped by a course in my area to see one of the instructors new Harley. While I was there, a girl taking the course decided that this riding a motorcycle stuff just wasn't for her and walked over to her car, threw her helmet in the back and drove off.

2. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

:upeyes:

3. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

Check your local community college for courses (that's where they're offered around here).

Mr.C started with a Virago, with the idea that it was low enough that I could put both feet down flat without a problem (at 5'3" there were a number of bikes I couldn't do that on), and he would trade up and give me that one when he wants to move up. I'm good with that.

And contrary to a few other posts, I would actually prefer to start with a dirt bike, because I could use it all over the property we live on. Also, my daughters both want one. I'd let them take the dirt bike around here before I'd let them anywhere near the highway on a motorcycle. I'm happy on the backroads tooling along at 55, but 70 mph down the interstate doesn't thrill me. Too many looney and distracted drivers, and too much wind. Call me chicken if you want. I'd rather take a horse over a picnic table than a bike down the interstate. it just means we have to take the scenic route to anywhere.

4. Sharkey

Sharkey

Have her take the MSF class as others have said. If you haven't been, it might be a good idea to go too.

As for what cycle, let her decide for herself what she likes.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I am 6' tall and started out on a Yamaha 250 street bike 30 years ago. Yeah, I outgrew it quick and went to a 550 Seca, but I really think a woman should start on a small bike.

Buy a used one, let her learn, then sell it and buy her a larger one if she feels comfortable.

You said "Highway use", but I wouldn't have her on an interstate on it. In fact, I'd stick to backstreets with 45MPH limit as much as possible, or country roads with less traffic.

I learned in a parking lot.

If she's never ridden a bicycle with front/rear brakes... she has a lot to learn. Learning how to manipulate those is the hardest part of being safe.

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

$2000 for a 250? Nah, I wouldn't do it. I spent 700 bucks on my first bike, it was a 750. But it was also really old. A 250 is a very slow and underpowered cruiser. Almost to the point of being dangerous. I'd get her something a little bigger. Great to take your riding test on but no good if you've got highway riding to do.

7. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE

[ame]http://youtu.be/YDR856eBy1c[/ame]

MSF class than a used Rebel is a great start into the world of motorcycling.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. John43

John43

250 is to small for the highway. Need to get up in the 500 class. MSf classes are good but may be too much for a new rider.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

To belabor the obvious and to reinforce others have said:

A. Have her take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider course.

B. Start small, light AND well used/cheap.

C. Don't choose the bike for her, she'll know what she wants after the course.

D. Riding gear is your friend. It won't stop you from getting hurt but it will help quite a bit with the severity of the incurred injury.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Not every 250 is a "cruiser".

11. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

Definitely buy a used one for her first bike. She will drop it, it is a simple fact. Most new riders wind up dropping their bikes while doing low speed maneuvering like tight turning in a parking lot. I've seen new riders (and experienced ones) drop their bikes at a stop sign because they forgot to put their feet down.

I would look at the 500cc bikes, because she will quickly outgrow the 250.

12. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

I completely agree with these statements, especially D. I walked away from a 60mph lowside with only a small spot of road rash on my wrist where my jacket rode up slightly.

13. Jim B in CO

Jim B in CO

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

What about a lady of certain maturity?

[​IMG]

15. RC-RAMIE

RC-RAMIE

[ame]http://youtu.be/UZ6_2VqSHBw[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/I5k4Uj3YTnY[/ame]

Small enough?

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm willing to bet that those two skinny chicks are actually body building camouflaged to look female and dainty. :whistling:

It takes a real man to lift those big, heavy manly motorcycles. Techniques don't got nuthin' to do with it, it's all pure muscle strength...So them itty bitty wimmin need to stick to them itty bitty bikes and leave the big bikes to the real men.

17. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

Lifting a bike on a flat surface is one thing, doing it in gravel, on a uneven roadside is another. Females in distress do have some advantages

[​IMG]

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

18. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

A Yamaha XT225 dualsport is what many MSF classes use for class-bikes.. They can be found cheap, have a low seat height, are not intimidating, and can be sold quickly when/if she outgrows it..

We did this a few years back...a DR350 for me, XT226 for her (both plated dualsports)..

She might have ridden with me 5-6 times in 3 years...always had an excuse why she didn't want to...I think she just wasn't that interested in riding..

Finally she told me: "I'd love to hop on the back of yours and go for a ride, but I just don't really have a whole lot of interest in driving myself..it's not really fun for me"..."

So....the idea of his/hers bikes didn't work for us...

As far as gear, get her a good fullface helmet (a flip up will help with claustrophobia if she doesn't like the full face confinement) and a very good biking jacket with armored elbows and back, and good gloves..

19. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

Is the blonde the deputy chick from longmire...?

20. Zukoda

Zukoda

Not to beat a horse to death - but a safety course is your best bet.

If that is not an option though, a big question is can she drive a manual transmission car? Knowing how a clutch and gear shift works will greatly aid in learning how to ride a motorcycle. Yes, there are some automatics out there, but not many and that would limit your choices, especially when looking at used bikes.

Zukoda