close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lets talk motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dabigguns357, Sep 30, 2012.

1. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

Were you wearing any protective gear? If so what kind so we know to avoid it.

2. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Just a half-helmet, but my head never hit the pavement. It's really hot down here so leathers on the arms are almost impossible. I just had a short-sleeve shirt on. Had I been wearing winter gear I could have avoided all the road rash on my forearm, but like I said it's just not doable right now until winter comes.

I'll admit, I took the chance with no leather over my arms, and I paid for it.

3. Java Junky

Java Junky

'Trix, I share your need for leather to feel right on'a bike. And summer up here's brutal in leathers, I can't imagine what it's like down there.
    Some years back I tripped on these mesh jackets and pants by Vanson. (I'm sure by now everybody's godd'em.)
    It might not be just wearing a tee, but it's damn close.
    Summer nights in one'a these Victoria's Secret outfits will have you shivering.
    As for their usefulness in'a tank-slapper . . I can only go by what I've read about them.
    But, they might be worth checkin' out.
    (Yeah, yeah. I know. Why couldn't I've mentioned that yesterday.)
    Think healing thoughts.

Not to be totally cold . . but what's the damage to your ride? (Hey. Rides don't heal's why I ask.)

4. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

That was actually my first reaction after I picked my bike up, I headed towards his vehicle to yank him out and whip his ass but a state trooper a few cars behind us witnessed the entire thing and calmed me down. I'm kind of glad for the adrenaline though, as the pain from my injuries didn't kick in until later. Now, I'm hurting pretty good.

I know, not the best reaction but I was beyond pissed.

Not bad...clutch lever was straightened completely out, rash on the exhaust, grip, and footpeg. The bike actually took less damage than I did. No worries though, his insurance is going to pay for it anyway. I lived, the bike survived, all is well.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  5. LippCJ7

LippCJ7

Ok on Gear, that kinda goes with the style riding, I have always worn leather, didn't matter if I was racing a sport bike in Dainese Leathers or my Harley acting all johnny bada** Weekend Warrior in Black Leathers, my Wife has her own set as well as a passenger, just because she is not operating means nothing. Helmets and Leathers is one area where I believe you get what you pay for but anything is better then nothing, I have gone down at well over 100 MPH and I can tell you its not fun but amazing that after skipping for a hundred feet the first thing you do is stand up to go check your bike, which is when you suddenly realize your still sliding at 20 MPH and do your own rendition of a Lawn Dart.

Leather has become something of a fashion statement but I cannot tell you the value of mitigating road rash.

Just ask Tantrix....

BTW Tantrix, Sorry about the bad luck.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  6. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Oh, no doubt if I had had leather on my arms today I wouldn't be in the shape I'm in. Oh well...like they say...it's not if, it's when.

7. Java Junky

Java Junky

Amen to that.
    But beware crap leather that isn't up to a snag on'a nail, let alone protection for'yuh while yer becomin' one with the roadside scenery.
    I'm not gonna embarrass myself by tryin'a remember what mil was the good stuff. But, trust me on this: there's leather that'll save'yer a . . ahem . . hide and there's a whole lodda thinner, wannabee leather out there that's good for Halloween'n not much else.
    Like the ol' knight said: choose wisely.

8. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

Mesh gear in my area of the country (I'm in a Scorpion Master Mesh right now) works year round. I switch to solid textile during the full blown winter months but I've ridden in well vented textile gear during 100+ days also. You sweat a bit but honestly you are much better off core temp wise if you are sweating a little and having it stay around for a bit then you are ridding without and having the sweat evaporate instantly.

I also wear long sleeve sweat wicking shirts under my riding gear.

9. Java Junky

Java Junky

I'd also tried some of those ballistic-material suits (don't ask how many years ago that was) and, I'd suspect that they've improved, but after having worn only leather . . they were "dirty".
    The air smoothly slips around leather.
    The wind grabs hold'a those ballistic suits'n tries to drag you off the back end'a the bike.
    Lots'a touring'n cruiser guys are very happy with the ballistic suits, but to a sportbike rider . . kind'a like screen-doors on'a submarine.
    Y'know?

Good leather gives me that snug, secure feelin' tha'cha get from'a good pair'a lace-up boots . . all over.

10. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

I rode a CBR600RR for a while and never had that issue in a one piece textile and one piece mesh suit.

11. sappy13

sappy13

Iv never had any issues at with the wind catching me and pulling me off my bike when iv ridden with my mesh suit.

12. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Now to be serious. I started riding as a teenager and raced on the dirt until my twenties. Then I started riding street and it was on a Harley Low Rider. I found the Harleys to be very forgiving motorcycles. I then rode some rice rockets and they were very fast and fun. Now that traffic is very bad I make these suggestions...

the Rebel is fine for class and they do provide the bikes at the classes. I would suggest a Harley for you and probably the Fat Boy types with the large tires as they are easier to ride slowly. The wife could get a small 883 Sportster or larger depending on how well she learns. Also check your pocketbook and what you have to take care of...like kids, dogs etc. That will sway your decision.

Also, be extra cautious when people are making left turns in front of you and don't drink and ride and watch out at intersections. Good luck in your decisions.

13. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

We don't drink so drinking and driving is out,car,bike or anything else.For the first 3 -4 months we will spend burning up old country road,with lots of stops at Hillbilly hotdogs along the way.:supergrin:

Once she gets up to speed after the class,we'll look for something.

Now I have decided to go ahead and get geared up,her and I both.I'm passing that class and i'm riding,she'll either ride behind me or beside to me.

Oh and who ever said to call about insurance,great idea.With the class(passing)my insurance,full coverage will only be a $135.62 a year (for both bikes hopefully)

ride sally ride :motorcycle:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  14. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Insurance on cruisers was always cheaper for me so check those first. Good luck and have fun and stay safe.

:cool:

15. Java Junky

Java Junky

'Sorry if I wasn't clear Jeep.
    I was not referring to the Victoria's Secret summer mesh.
    The stuff that grabbed the wind very noticeably was (come on memory . . you can do it) . . 'think that it was one of the early First Gear suits.
    I'll admit to taking some "artistic license" with my drag'yuh off the back'a the bike, but facts is facts: rapidly-passin'-air grabs you considerably more with anything other than leather.
    And a side note closely related to all of this (though later tests may have been done, and considering that man-made fibres may've improved some . . I'd go with the later tests) but leather came out on top of all the other contenders in the early hit-the-pavement tests. (If nothin' else . . it'll best keep all your body parts in one bag, y'know?)

16. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

I'll be the first to admit that leather is superior to most textile and mesh garments in the area of abrasion resistance. Most textile and mesh gear is going to be one time use with very few exceptions.

And I wouldn't qualify most mesh gear as "Victoria's Secret Mesh". This is the Mesh jacket I wear for most of the year with exception of full on "winter" (I'm in Texas it's subjective lol).

[​IMG]

I think my next gear purchase will be a 2 piece Aerostitch.

17. Java Junky

Java Junky

Methinks the Jeep's just a mite cantankerous today.
    Okay, okay . . it's not Victoria's Secret.
    Yer jus' not gonna let me get away with anything, are'yuh?

('Curious: di'juh get the matching purse? Joke! Joke! Easy big fella!)

Whoa!
    Aerostitch!
    That was it! That suit was an Aerostitch, not First Gear.
    'S'up in'a attic someplace.

18. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You do know that many track day organizations allow for the use of Aerostitch suit in lieu of leather suit?

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm glad to hear that the bike will be OK.:embarassed: