close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lets talk motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dabigguns357, Sep 30, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I would suggest the little Rebel is fine for classes and riding around the neighborhood but it will be too small for road trips other than the 7 eleven. But in reality cycles are very deadly and you should stick with four wheels. I have ridden for years but not as much recently because of an eye injury. Cars are si much easier and they have metal around them for protection. Good luck in your decision.

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I usually don't wear a helmet, but I still have 4 - full-face, half, 3/4 and novelty half. The 3/4 is a good all around helmet, for riding into a helmet state, or for riding in a big group ride where somebody might run over me or for riding when on military duty status and a helmet is required. But the full face is by far the best for rain, cold and distance without a windshield. Going to South Dakota next summer I have a route through non-helmet states, but I'll take the full-face along, just for bad weather.

For after dark, I have chrome sogftail toolboxes on both sides of my bike and I keep clear safety glasses in one (also good for locking up my gun if I need to).

My 3/4 Bell 500 helmet and the toolbox where I keep clear glasses.
    [​IMG]

3. Halojumper

Halojumper

That's like the guys who say they only carry when they're going to need it, as though it's something you can predict.

4. Java Junky

Java Junky

It's kind'a like the rationale of keeping a loaded gun in the house because keeping an unloaded one ain't gonna do'yuh'a hell'uv'a lodda good in the kind of situation that requires such measures.
    I've found that goin' down, while it thankfully doesn't happen but once in'a blue moon, never gives me time to blink, let alone put on'a helmet.
    But, that said, I am in total agreement with one's right to exercise their right to wear, or, not to wear a helmet.

Inconvenient at times? 'Sure is.
    But, all it takes is the once.
    'Don't wanna wear a helmet'n still be protected?
    Sportscar.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  5. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

We both found some really nice full face helmets last night along with 2 pair of riding gloves and jackets, even got her some riding glassed that have 3 different tint shades.

Even is doesn't take up riding after the course she will still need them when she rides with me

6. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I think the helmet with a clear visor is best. This allows you to put on shades in the day and ride at night.

I also like to carry clear riding glasses, because sometimes when it gets foggy I pop the visor.

My first helmet had tinted lens, that sucked at night!

I had to wear a 3/4 helmet for a little bit once. I've also ridden a few times with no helmet to see what it was like.

Not my cup of tea. Don't know why everyone is so into that, I took bugs to the face, got hit by a stone in the interstate and it hurt like hell, and over 80 I just kept thinking about my head hitting the pavement and blowing my brains over the highway like a watermelon.:wow:

7. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

Helmet with internal drop down sun visor is where it's at. Some helmets don't really allow for sun glasses. And the internal shield is a half second flick of a switch and you have it either down or up out of the way.

8. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Full face helmet.

Tinted visor.

Scala G9.

/now that we can end this conversation about helmets...what kind of jackets do you guys wear for high 50s-60s temps?

9. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

Leather bomber jackets and chaps over jeans

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

They do clean the helmets if hygiene is what you and the missus worry about.

I'm not going to debate helmet versus no helmet. That's an individual decision, at least in states with no helmet laws.

Full face is best for protection and comfort.

3/4" is less. Half is even less. Turtle shell is nearlhy worthless.

Then there's the flip-up that gives full face comfort with near full face protection (still have a joint that is a weakness instead of a true solid design).

It's all about degrees of comfort versus convenience.

Whenever I toot around town, I'd wear the 3/4" helmet. Whenever I hit the freeway, I'd go full face. But that's me. Everybody has to weigh their needs and desires. We're all big boys and big girls.

11. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

You can also use a hood (balaclava) if you worry about that.

It is also nice to switch them out one hot days. Keeps your own helmet much cleaner.

12. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

Same one I wear in temps from 40s to 100+. Just throw in a windblocking layer for Temps under 60ish. Any temps below 40 or 50 and I switch to my "winter" jacket which has a better liner system and maybe even break out the electric heated jacket for longer trips.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Let's not get too crazy about gear configuration. Let the lady pass the MSF course first.

14. Java Junky

Java Junky

'Godda go with clear visors.
    Sooner or later you're gonna get caught out after dark.
    Tinted visors and dark don't mix. (Okay, okay. So they mix once.)

[​IMG]

15. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

Again internal visors are where it's at. Decent low cost helmet with an internal visor........Scorpion EXO 500.

16. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Ironically, today I got mowed down by an SUV on my bike...I was getting into a turning lane and some ass**** decides he wants in too at the last minute. Only problem is, he didn't see me whatsoever until he had already hit me and damn near run me over.

Road rash on left forearm and broken pinky finger was the result. I'll ride again (tomorrow probably). I'm just glad he didn't run me over or it could have been a lot worse.

17. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

I understand,but even if she doesn't drive a motorcycle she will be riding with me and she will still need all the gear.So pass or not she will have it and enjoy the ride one way or another.

18. Java Junky

Java Junky

That he stopped is unusual, 'leastwize, it is here in 'Joizey.
    'Glad yer alright 'trix.

19. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I'm ok...the road rash on my left forearm is deep, but is burning a little less now. But, my left knee and pinky are still throbbing (pinky is broken, knee they're not sure yet). When he hit me I low-sided and slid about 5 feet.

I'm going to be laying up for the rest of the day/night for sure.

20. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

And your response to his idiocy?

Did you beat his ass?