close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Let's talk fishing reels hypercast vrs snapcast

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jan 28, 2003.

1. noway

noway

I currently have the quantum 1st generation hypercast reel that has work relatively great over a 3 year period but recently the hands-free cast lever will not pull the wire barb all the way back.

How does the quantum newer snapcast holds up with extended use?

I'm debating buying the newer generation of easy cast spinning reel that they have vrs sending my hypercast back in for maintenance. I'm looking for feedback on the snapcast before I drop any dough on it. At first impress it seems alot harder to work the casting lever. It feels like my fingers aren't long enough or too long and get's in the way.

2. dead eye

dead eye

I've had those kind and something always
    goes wrong with them. I got tired of being out
    fishing and the reel tear up and have to quit
    fishing to work on a reel. So I went back
    to the old fathful manual spinner and have
    one of the diawa 500 t or x for 5 years
    and not one problem. So if you still
    want a trigger spin be sure to pick up one of
    those tiny tool kits and keep it in your pocket...;I

3. Case

Case Cthulhu fhtagn!

I've got one of those Quantum reels - I think it's a "Hypercast II" maybe? I got it Wal-Mart for about $40 two years ago.
    For my two bits, it's been a good reel. I haven't had any problems out of it. I'm sure that, like most things mechanical, it will eventually wear out, but so far, after two fishin seasons, it's showing no signs of being near that point. I like the convenience of one-handed casting with a spinning reel, and this one has been solid so far - no stopping to piddle and fiddle with it.

YMMV.

Scott

4. noway

noway

Have you had to ever take it apart to relube it? The control lever on mine started sticking on the 2nd year of ownership. Other than that it has been solid.I did a full detail strip down with no clue as to what's worn or need replacement. I just recently replace all line on the unit and regrease the moving items with car axle grease, it help just a littlebit.

My Bass Pro outlet has the next generation snapcast that looks pretty cool but I'm very hesitate to buy one without some kind or review or positive feedback from others.

5. Case

Case Cthulhu fhtagn!

No, I never have had to take it apart for any reason. Thank God, too, because while I don't mind stripping my guns down all the way, fishing reels drive me nuts with all those tiny parts. I haven't lubed it either, unless you count dunking it in the water to wet the line good upon arrival at my fishing spot.
    The only thing I have had to do was replace the line on it once, because it had developed "memory" and was too spirally. That didn't keep the reel from working, mind you, but it made it harder to get any sort of distance out of it. New line fixed that problem.
    For what it's worth, my advice is if it's not more than $50, go for it. My impression of the reel is that while it's not one of those "keep forever and pass down to your grandchildren" type items, it will last a good few years and you'll get your money's worth out of it as long as you don't go out of your way to beat it up. Mine has been a pleasure to use.

Scott