close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lets talk doors and windows

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Feb 14, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

My wife and I have been looking at new homes for a while now. We may have finally found one that is all brick and beautifully done inside but it needs new doors and windows. So I'm looking for some insight on what types/brands/models are going to be the most energy efficient and secure. Now I'm not looking to go cheap but lets not get carried away either. I know I could buy vault doors for a few grand but that would just be silly.

I asked about fire/steel core doors at Lowes tonight but they said they are around $500, only special order, them and that took 3-4 weeks until they'd be in stock. Now $500 is doable but I know the mounting hardware/screws/etc. is important to.

As far as window, what about good energy efficient ones and then just put that film over them to strengthen them?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Windows: check out Pella (sp?)

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah they're supposed to be nice. But then again you can get them at HD/Lowes and 9 times out of 10 if you can buy it there...it's not the best of the best.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

5. n2extrm

n2extrm

Pella and anderson are great windows. they make different lines and different quality items. Anything you find at a Lowes or Homedepot is built to a lower spec then the OE product. I would go to a local lumber yard and look or go on line and look at their web sites. You will see the actual part numbers are only listed at Lowes or homedepot but not on the OE site.

I have replaced all the windows in our house a little at a time with Anderson 400 series tilt wash windows. My doors are replacement thermatru or thermotru. I went with a fiberglass wood look alike door. Secure and energy efficent, cheaper then wood. My local lumber yard is very helpful and usually will beat any homedepot or lowes price on a better quality item.

6. pac201

pac201

can't go wrong with the Andersens...just remember you do get what you pay for.

7. SpaceGlocker

SpaceGlocker

Don't know what part of the US you live in but Gorell Double pane windows have been rated the #1 energy star window in the US for the past 6 years. If you live in a hurricane area the hurricane Armour Impact Plus series are the best window made today....these aren't cheap but how many windows do you want to buy....I like to buy things once and right. Yes......I am in the business! Take a look at their website very imformative.

http://www.gorell.com

8. ShamGlock

ShamGlock

Andersens are great. If you want the best of the best and aren't afraid of sticker shock check out Marvin windows and doors.

9. n2extrm

n2extrm

Yeah marvin deffinetly beat Anderson and Pella. Like you said talk about sticker shock!

10. mselvio

mselvio

Check out Marvin Windows & Doors. I bought a house built in 1910, and I put new Marvin
    Windows & Doors. They are great, not a problem with them. Saving on heating cost and reduced noise from outside. Easy to clean, they tilt in. I had 28 windows to replace, 2 doors, and a set of french doors, installed $18000.00.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  11. RenoF250

RenoF250

Pella are very good the Pellas you get at Lowes are from them buying Viking windows. I used them in my house and some are Viking some are Pella. Anyway, the Viking/Lowes line are not top of the line but still good. The high end Pellas I have seen have been very nice.

12. dac1204

dac1204

Alittle off topic but I see so many people putting $2000 steel doors in. If you have ever really thought about it all a thief would have to do is break a window or cut through the vinyl and sheating to gain access.

I would put up a good solid wood door with a good casing and good locks and call it done.

To stay on topic I would go Pella. As others have said though get the good ones not the contractor line.

My mother and step father had theirs done awhile back and paid around $225 a window for double pane with a tilt sash for easy cleaning. They were vinyl and not wood. The guys came out and took out the old and put the new in, in a day. There were only like 18 windows.

I don't remember the brand they used, I do know they were not top of the line because they were going in a soon to be rental house.

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks!

-Emt1581

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I used a fiberglass door and it's great. No dings/nicks/etc. no matter what we throw at it. Plus I heard they flex instead of bend/crease when there's an impact such as a tool or shoe applied.

I was thinking a solid steel core door, with the right hindges/screws/frame would be the best bet. Not sure which brands to look at door/hindge/screw/frame/etc.-wise though. :dunno:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Don't always assume you're getting the best price at Lowes/HD.

I had to special order some doors and found them 50% cheaper at my local lumber yard/home improvement center and I got them in 2 days vs 10.

The kicker was "special order"

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oh I know. This is pretty much the first day of my search. I'll probably research models/prices/etc. for a month or so before making a decision.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

17. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

I have always used casement windows. No meeting rails to leak air. Mine has latches on both sides, two on each side. I really don't like the looks of double or single hung. Mine are Big windows (18 lite) so they need the extra latches.
    Make sure that the installers flash them correctly, or you WILL have water problems. I have seen enough rotten walls and floors, and most is due to improper flashing.
    Doors are only as good as the hardware. Unless the door has sidelites, I always use 3 or 4" screws for the hinges and keeper. If the BG wants in, good hardware will slow him down a little.

18. PBCounty

PBCounty

For doors, check out Master Security Doors. Cool stuff.

19. PBCounty

PBCounty

Toys. Those are decorations, not windows or doors.

20. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

http://www.mastersecuritydoors.com/?tpage=home

Any clue where to find pricing?

Without knowing, I'm guessing we're talking 4 figures. That's just an observation from seeing the locking mechanisms, claims of security, construction, etc.

Thanks!

-Emt1581