close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lets talk barrel length(shotgun)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Blah!, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Blah!

Blah! Guest

Hey guys I was just wondering what length barrels you guys prefer on your shotgun. Personally I like 28” as most of the hunting I do is over decoys. I know lots of guys that like 30” or longer they say it makes all the difference on those reach out and touch em shots.:)

2. noway

noway

Depends on what game your are hunting for and what type of enviroments.

for me,my hunting shotgun has bbls from 20 to 28" , I even sported a 34" barrel at one time for turkeys.

for closed brushs, heavy thick vegatation, 20-24" have been fine. As you move towards more open area and over water, 26" and longer have worked fine for me. For general purpose 26-28 is what normally stays on my Benelli. I find the heavy barrels good on decoy and passing shots and the wide rib of the benellis helps in sighting down the barrel.

3. Blah!

Blah! Guest

holy cow 34"!!!! man that must have been awkward:)
    I have a mossberg ulti-mag for turkey 24" with extended choke that effectivly smokes em out to about 40 yards. :cool:

4. noway

noway

{holy cow 34"!!!! man that must have been awkward}

No not really but it did make it hard at best to walk under low brush cover with the shotgun sling over your back and like 18"of bbl is sticking past up & over your head. ;z

I sold that barrel to a fellow GT'er about a year ago. One nice patterning bbl for turkeys with the std hasting full choke, It easily could and have taken turkeys at 40yrds with like 10-20 pellets in the head and neck kill area from my typical turkey load. Not bad .

FYI: Alot of the older and early 1900 shotguns typically sports 30" plus bbl and anything under 30" was pretty rare.

5. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

21" barrel on my 1100 Special Field; 22" barrel on my Browning A5; also have 26" skeet barrel for the Browning.

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

26" on 4 different O/U's\ all used for upland birds over dogs.

Standard Remington rifled barrel on my 11-87, whatever they are. I think 20-22".

7. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

All of mine have 24" barrels with the exception of the 16 guage and .410. I like the 24" barrels especially for turkey hunting. Kinda of a best of both worlds, short but not too short. Especially when you put an extended choke tube on it. I wouldn't mind have a 28" barrel for waterfowl though.

8. muddydog

muddydog

depends on the guns..
    i hunt everything that flies and walks..

i shoot alot of 28 inch guns..but also 26.

i grew up quail hunting so a 26 is almost 2nd nature.

my new pintail is a 26, but the receiver is longer..and with extended chokes.its a 27.

my bread and butter gun growing up was a winchester 1200, 20 ga with a 24inch fixed IC.

the ducks i killed in timber along with the dozens of quail, dove and rabbits should be immortalized with a monument.

9. USPcompact

USPcompact

Benelli SBE - 28"
    Benelli Nova - 28"
    Citori 525 Sporting - 30"

10. mudfootball

mudfootball

i first had a 28 inch on my remington 870, when i bought a beretta semi all they had was 30's so 30 i got. gotta say it wasnt that big a difference, a friend of mine recently got a benelli with only 26" it handles quicker but the gun also seems lighter. He smokes geese out near 60 just as much as i do, I believe it has been established that 18" is all it takes to burn the powder charge of the heaviest magnums, beyond that IT IS ALL IN THE CHOKE and the shooter as far as reaching out.
    kt

11. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Any well-designed shotgun barrel 18 inches & over is sufficient enough ballisticly (in other words you don’t gain much of anything (velocity, patterning or etc.) going from a 24” barrel to a 28” barrel)… barrel length has more to do with one’s brain/eyes then anything. General rule is the longer the barrel the more accurate one will be while sighting/tracking down its length.

I tried a 24” barrel on my Beretta 390 for a while, but ended up going back to the 28” barrel… I don’t know why I ever “messed with success”…

12. Blah!

Blah! Guest

Looks like the 28" is favored so far.:)

13. AJE

AJE GSSF & USPSA Shooter

Both of my shotguns have 28" barrels... 1187 and 870.

14. USPcompact

USPcompact

I've been a believer in my 28" SBE ever since I bought it, but right now I'm looking for a 24" barrel to replace the original. We were hunting out of 36" holes augered about 4 feet into the ground last week in Saskatchewan and that long barrel was a bear to lug up and out of my hole when it was time to shoot. I may be atypical, however, as my shotgun's length of pull is about 2" longer than standard (I have monkey arms), and I also have an extended choke tube which brings the total length of the shotgun to about 53". The shorter barrel should be more snappy in the duck blind or layout blind for the remainder of the season.

15. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I like shorter barrels. IMO, there's no need for anything more than 26" for wing shooting. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I don't "aim" a shotgun like I "aim" rifles and handguns (except for turkey), so sight radius is a moot point. After 40+ years of bird hunting, I just point and shoot... I don't even think about the "aim" nor the sights. Some of my shotguns used for grouse in heavy cover don't even have a bead on the barrel... it just snags brush.

I have in my "arsenal" several shotguns for which I have multiple barrels, and I always use the shortest ones for upland birds such as grouse, woodcock, dove, quail, and pheasant. In fact, my favorite grouse/quail gun is a Winchester model 12 riot gun w/ a 18" cyl bore barrel. Occasionally I use a 20" barreled 870 or my 22" barreled Browning BPS Upland Special. My Ithaca 37 Featherlight 20ga has a 26"... if I could find a 20-22" barrel for it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. When I inherited it from my dad, it had a 28" mod on it. I bought a 26" imp/cyl at a gun show, and promptly removed the front sight.

For waterfowl, when using one of my 870s, I pick the 24" Hastings barrel (and I leave the 28" Rem-Choke barrel at home... I don't think I've ever used it), and both my Beretta Pintail and Rem 1100 are 26" barrels.

16. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

So from the above statements you would have no problem hitting with a 15" or a 10" or even a 5" barrel on your shotgun(s)?

There comes a point with shotgunning that one doesn't even notice anymore that they are STILL sighting down the barrel... it becomes so natural.

I have no doubt that you are good with the shorter shotgun barrels rfb45colt, but you should know that this takes practice & that “sight radius” is a term that is around for a good reason.

I usually can’t miss with my Beretta 390 shotguns (I don’t “aim”, per say, either.) when they sport their 28” barrels… change out that 28” barrel for a 24” barrel however & watch me unravel! I REALLY wish the 24 incher would have worked out for me, which I’m sure it would have if I kept practicing, but life’s too short & there’s stuff that needs kill’in today! ^c

17. Blah!

Blah! Guest

I think I prefer the 28" for the balance as I tend to follow through alot better with the longer barrel. I agree with rfb45colt about not aiming when wing shooting, if the shooter shoulders the weapon the same way everytime there is no need to acctually aim...the shot is going where he/she is looking. Never take your eyes off the target!

18. USPcompact

USPcompact

One of the hardest things to learn for a new shotgunner is the concept of pointing versus aiming the gun. I had a heck of a time learning to keep both eyes open when I first began shooting clays, but after about 6 months of practice it became second nature. Not suprisingly, my scores shot way up, no pun intended. I think in any type of heavy cover or blind, a shorter barrel is just more comfortable and handy to have.

19. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

As long as the muzzle is past my front hand, no, I wouldn't mind it at all. Shorter than that, and it would be a handgun. And if it were legal to have a smoothbore barrel less than 18", I'd probably have started hunting birds with a shotgun/pistol a long time ago. ;)

I suppose that's true... I say "I suppose", because I've never done it any other way. I started shooting shotguns in 1960 (when I was 10), and my grandfather was my primary teacher. Before I fired my first shot with the J.C. Higgens 20ga bolt action he gave me, he removed the front bead... so I wouldn't "get in the bad habit of trying to aim it".

I started shooting behind grandpa's barn, trying to knock an ear of corn from a fence post at 25 yds. After I could do that every time with no front bead, he started throwing them in the air ("real" trap shooting was a "luxury", that we could not afford). Before I was allowed to pheasant hunt with him, my dad, and my uncles, I had to hit 10 thrown ears of corn in a row. Some he'd throw high, some were straight away... some left, some right. That required quick, snap shooting... there was no time to aim.

I haven't "aimed" a shotgun, ever. But, yep, I do "sight" down the barrel to some extent, but not enough so that it's length makes much of a differance. I "sight" down the barrel totally subconsiously... just enough so that my brain knows I'm "pointing" the gun properly. If I try to "think" about it, and to "aim".... I usually blow the shot. :(

So barrel length and sight radius doesn't mean a thing to me. Choke (and the pattern thrown by a barrel) is more important. I understand that not everybody has been so fortunate to learn wing shooting in this manner, at such an early age... but it certainly worked for me. And because this is how I've done it for more than 40 years, barrel length (especially any "advantage" gained by a longer one) is a moot point. The shorter the barrel, the lighter the gun is. The lighter the gun is, the quicker I'm on target.;)

20. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

How long was the barrel on the 20-guage?