Let's talk about reloading kits

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GlockinStihl, Sep 17, 2019.

1. GlockinStihl

GlockinStihl A bullet is forever

I sold all my stuff with the divorce, years back. I'm ready to start loading again. I had all Lee stuff before, and never had any trouble. I'm considering a RCBS or a Hornady kit this time around. Do those kits do anything better than the Lee ?

Also, is the 50th Lyman a good manual to have?

Thanks guys!

cbetts1 and FullClip like this.
  2. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

Depends on your budget. However, Dillon should be your first choice. Hornady makes a good press as well, but after owning both I would choose Dillon hands down.

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

How many rounds do you want to load each month?
    How much time do you want to spend per month?
    How many calibers?
    Rifle blasting ammo?
    Rifle precision ammo?
    Pistol ammo?
    Budget?
    More realistic budget?

4. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I got the RCBS Rockchucker kit. It’s great. Since then, I’ve supplemented.

5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

[​IMG]

This is when I first got it all set up, in the old house. I built that table, just for reloading. Now, it has a computer on it and a ton of crap. I haven’t reloaded since ammo went back to reasonable pricing. Still have a bit of stuff, should it become necessary.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Better, maybe. Lee is cheap for a reason, qc is often lacking & fit & finish are always less impressive. I own stuff from all the manuf but I tend to favor quality in any tool I will use often. So no, not buying a Lee SS press kit.

orangejeep06 and GlockinStihl like this.
  7. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

F106 laid out some good questions.

A Rocker Supreme sits on my bench, as do 4 Uniflow powder measures. So I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the RCBS Master kit. It was better a few years ago when it had the Ohaus made 5-0-5 scale and Speer manual. Nosler is a decent manual, but I have no experience with the M500 scale.

In the long run, if there is any reasonably high volume involved, a progressive is recommended. Really, is it about the smartest path to 2 presses. I wouldn't want to live without a progressive AND my Rock Chucker.

fredj338 likes this.
  8. Lagamor

Lagamor

What calibers and how much are you shooting?
    I recommend a progressive if shooing any semi-automatic pistol.
    Time you want to invest is the other factor. I know guys that save money using Lee progressives, but the prime off press. That’s not worth it to me. Each to their own.
    Bench space almost forgot about that...

GlockinStihl likes this.
  9. GlockinStihl

Rifle Precision. I'm setting up a .300 Win Mag to shoot a 8" plate at 500 yards. I also need blasting ammo for my son to get in time behind a rifle trigger. Probably some pistol ammo too, but I generally shoot my pistols too much to make it worth the trouble.

This all started when I got it in my head to try and shoot to 500 yards and hold 1 MOA with a sporter barrel. Later I want to try it farther too.

I don't want to spend more than $500 for the base kit.

10. OXMYX

OXMYX

$500 is just the beginning.

Lagamor and fredj338 like this.
  11. fredj338

fredj338

You might consider piecing it together. For 300wm, I want a beefier press with good leverage for r sizing bigger rifle cases. A hood scale & powder measure are a must, also lacking in the cheap lee stuff. Precision bolt gun, the Lee neck dies are actually decent, but I would go Redding for that. You might squeeze in under $500. Rifle brass can be hand cleaned or ultrasonic later. Calipers, loading block, about does it.

OXMYX likes this.
  12. usnret

usnret

13. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper

RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Reloading kit (whew, what a name:rolleyes:) gets my vote. IMO, the press has better leverage, and is quite frankly, just made better and stronger than Lee. I like Lee dies; just not much else.

GlockinStihl and Taterhead like this.
  14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Let's talk about the precision rifle: Done properly, you won't be resizing your cases, you will simply use a neck die to restore neck tension. It doesn't take a heavy duty press to do neck sizing. It does take a precision die like the Redding Competition series with interchangeable neck bushings.

For precision rifle, I like the Redding T-7 press. It has 7 stations and that seems about right:
    1. Universal decapping die
    2. Full length die
    3. Neck die
    4. Power drop (funnel and Dillon powder die) Powder dispensed with an RCBS ChargeMaster and trickled. Measured with a Dillon D'Terminator scale to verify the ChargeMaster which isn't particularly accurate.
    5. Seating die
    6. Redding Comparator (for checking OAL and shoulder location)
    7. Collet style bullet puller
    I have two toolheads, one for .308 and one for 6.5x284 Norma

The T7 would be grim for making .223 blasting ammo or any serious amount of pistol ammo. For those I would recommend, at least, a Dillon 550.

For the more budget constrained: The Lee Classic Turret gets a lot of positive comments around here. The thing is, there is only one shop that repackages the kit to include something you want (I forget what it is) and omits the balance scale which isn't highly regarded. I forget which shop sells the configuration but you can search the forum or maybe somebody will jump in. There's an optional upgrade for the powder mechanism that is probably worthwhile. I'm getting old and memory is the 2nd thing to go. I forget what is first... And you have to buy a separate scale. The Dillon Elminator is a good example of a balance beam scale and the Dillon D'Terminator is a pretty decent electronic scale. You also need check weights - see MidwayUSA.

Found it!

https://kempfgunshop.com/Kempf_Kit_w/_Lee_Classic_Turret_Press_-90064Kit-6575.html

orangejeep06 and GlockinStihl like this.
  15. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

It wasn't that long ago that pistol ammo and .223 ammo simply wasn't available - period. .22 LR was off the shelf for years. A local agency was paying nearly $2 per round for .223 and I was reloading it for $0.26/round.

One election screw-up and we'll be back in the same boat.

16. Lil

Lil

Buy once, cry once. 500+ yds demands higher-end equipment. I load 7mm Rem Mag and 375 HH on a T-7 with Redding dies that serves me well. Changing-out dies, verifying dimensions, etc. is time-consuming. A rock-solid turret is hard to beat for your precision needs.

fredj338 and orangejeep06 like this.
  17. GlockinStihl

Also a reason I'm wanting to get back into it.

I appreciate all the input I've gotten here. $500, was just a number I had in mind, to help me sort through it all. I wasn't ever planning to buy the Lee Anniversary kit again.

The powder measure that came with the Lee that I had, I just couldn't trust. I hand weighed every charge. I would love to have one that I could trust.

I ordered a Redding full catalog. I want to get familiar with what they have. Dillon as well.

18. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Dillon 550B if you still want the single stage feature.

GlockinStihl likes this.
  19. GlockinStihl

I think I will probably start with your suggestion. Then swap out pieces to perfect it. Still debating on single stage vs turret.

Is the RCSM press better than the press that comes in the Explorer Plus kit?

Attached Files:

20. GlockinStihl

I was just looking at the RCBS Turret press. It can be operated in single stage or progressive.
    http://rcbs.com/Products/Presses-and-Kits/Turret/Turret-Press.aspx

I believe someone already suggested this, but I'm thinking buying it one piece at a time, might be my best bet, to get what I want.