close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lets talk about beer

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by 97guns, Sep 28, 2006.

1. 97guns

97guns

since i deliver for budweiser for a living it is a topic often brought up. i have been reccomended wheat beer such as widmere hefeweizen or gordon beirsch hefeweizen but i am hesitant because "wheat" beer sounds like its thick and chewey and im not into the thick beers. just wondering if anyones tried it and what others can you reccomend for a beer conosuer?

2. noway

noway

I not a fan of wheat beers of aka weizen in germany IIRC. Even tho went I went to germany I drink a few weizen that where base on a supposely 500year receipe that hasn't change since the early days and it was quite good.

Shiner has a good weizen style beer that goes good that's call a hefe weizen. Which iirc is a yeast/wheat brewed beer.

Another good weizen would be hacker-pschorr hefeweizen have few sitting in the frig that I should drink soon.

You have to get out and experiment for your self. My self I'm a friend of any pale ales of dunkel style larger beers which means dark for the most part. So I perfer any of the two over most of anything else but will drink anything outside of budweiser or Miller for the most part ;)

Right now for domestic is Michelob Amber Bock or for import I have to select Warstiner Dunkel which the latter is a dark wheat lager. My all time favorites are Bass Ale , Smithwick and Negra Modelo.

3. 97guns

97guns

ive had amber bock and negra and liked both of them, my favorate import is tsingtao and for domestic i like sierra nevada pale ale, sam adams boston lager, and redhook esb. my favorate cheap beer is natural ice but have been reccomended pabst blue ribbon and the draft. i used to be a big fan of miller genuine draft and henry weinhards ale but drank so much of the stuff that i cant stand them anymore. im gonna pick up a 6er of gordon beirsch hefeweizen tomorrow to give it a shot - ive heard that lime goes well with wheat beer. i also want to try pilsner urquel, probably next on my list to try's.....

4. neeko

neeko

blue moon is a good wheat beer, just leave the stupid orange out of it.

5. MillerTime

MillerTime

I like a Boulevard with a lemon slice for wheat beer

6. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Purple Haze is a great wheat beer as well.

7. BrushyBill

BrushyBill

Definitely give the Widmer Hefeweisen a try... It's unfiltered, so it's cloudy, but it's not "thick" per se. Actually has a fair amout of hoppiness to it, too. Good stuff.

Oh, and while I wouldn't put any orange in it, a nice small slice of lemon is actually pretty good in a hefeweisen.

8. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

That Colorado brewery- the one that Ralph Steadman does the illustrations for... what the heck are they called- dangit it's not coming to me..... anyway, they make a nice one called "In Heat Wheat".
    And my wife LOVES Hoegarten. I like it OK too.

Wheat, in addition to altering the flavor and color, is a natural heading agent- ie a wheat beer should hold a thicker head longer than an all barley beer.

9. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

Flying Dog

Hoegaarten is actually a Belgian White (hence the wit) and not a wheat (weiss). That doesn't mean it's not a great beer, though.

10. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

I don't think the OP's employer would like him drinking a Coors beer. :)

11. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

+1 for Boulevard Wheat. I'm not a great fan of wheat beer, but the Boulevard version is a good one.

12. PMY

PMY

Wheat beers can actually be pretty crisp and light. (Not Bud Light, but far from oatmeal stout.) A great summer beer!

We're not talking about getting a tatoo here, so there's no real downside to giving it a try. Most places that will have fancy beer on tap, will probably give you a sample taste for free. Especially for the guy who drives the beer truck! If not, you don't have to finish it if you don't like it. Someone will probably be willing to help you out!

13. Remander

Remander

Most wheat beers are like lagers, light and crisp, just a bit cloudy because they are unfiltered. They are not dark.

Try squeezing a bit of lemon (yes lemon, not lime) and it is a very crisp, refreshing summer-time beer. Euros frown on it, but I like it.

Paulaner makes a very good hefeweizen.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hefeweizen

Hefeweizen, is a variety of wheat beer in which the yeast is not filtered out. Though Kristallweizen (clear), Dunkelweizen (dark) and Weizenstarkbier (higher alcohol content) varieties are available, they are not considered true hefeweizen unless left unfiltered. The filtration which takes the yeast out of Kristallweizen also strips the wheat proteins which make Hefeweizen cloudy. Bavarian weizen beers are fermented with a special strain of top-fermenting yeast, which is largely responsible for the distinctive flavor.

Hefeweizen is the most popular variety of wheat beer in the United States, though most American hefeweizen has a lower wheat content (the difference being made up by the inclusion of barley malt). Hefeweizens are frequently served with a slice of lemon or orange in the U.S., but this practice is frowned upon in Germany, where the lemon slice is common only for Kristallweizen. The addition of a lemon or orange wedge is also frowned upon by beer connoisseurs because it eliminates the head. American Hefeweizen is usually lighter in color than the parent variety.

[​IMG]

14. G31Steve

G31Steve LiveFreeOrDie

Bluemoon is somehow related with coors ?

I agree the orange is for women,beer does not need garnish.

15. Remander

Remander

Yes. Coors makes Blue Moon Belgian Ale.

16. wallyglock

wallyglock

drink bud in 16 oz. cans regurarly.

my special off the shelf beers are lienenkuguls dark and creamy, and sam adams octorfest.

south of here, in bloomington, indiana is upland brewery.

they just won best beer, in the wheat ale catagory. there 12 catagories in the best in the midwest beer festival , with 129 breweries competing, with a total of 358 beers entered.

their maibock won honorable mention in its catagory.

of all the beers i have tried at upland my personel favorites were choclate stout and saison, a citricy belgian style brew.

if any of you good beer drinkers ever pass thru bloomington, the " pub grub" there is very good also. try the hand breaded tenderlion, is is the best i have eaten in any restruant OR bar !

17. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

ala Harp and Guiness, then don't hesitate if you run into some Tetley's English Ale.:) I'm NOT a drinker, by any stretch. Many would call me a tee-totaler. However, this is one s m o o t h creamy ale, without the bitter after-taste many find with Harp or Guiness.

I bought this at a close-out store, chilled it, and drank the remaining three pints after sampling the first.:shocked:

18. Sam White

Sam White I miss you bud Silver Member

All of the info above is good, but I'll chime in.

Boulevard Wheat is one of my favorite beers but I'll drink Widmer if that's what the bar has (bars around here usually have B/M/C and one or two "specialty beers"-usually a hefeweizen). I'm a big fan of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss or Berry Weiss if you can find them; they're only sold in the upper midwest. Blue Moon is o.k. "In Heat Wheat" is a good one- I had it in Denver a few months ago. Paulaner is good if you can find some that's not too stale (I can't around here).

You said you like Sierra Nevada- I do too. Sierra Nevada makes a nice American style wheat. American style wheat is a light bodied, and light colored ale made with a neutral yeast- just like Sierra Nevada's.

19. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

I sitll have a headache from last night.

20. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man