close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Let's Roll!

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by sjfrellc, Jan 18, 2007.

1. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Very difficult focus. My son's in focus second from right in white.
    1/200 second, f2.2 ISO 800 Nikon D200, Nikkor 1.8 50mm lens.

[​IMG]

2. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

Im no expert but your shutter speed was too slow?

3. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

when shooting indoor sports in low light gyms, without flash, you don't have much range in shutter speed selection. ;)

ISO 800
    1/160
    [​IMG]

ISO 1600
    1/200
    [​IMG]

sjfrellc, have you ever tried using pre-set white balance when shooting basketball?

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Good job! Hard shot!

5. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Not necessarily, its more that the lens is wide open with no depth of field. Shot at f2.0 in a 1.8 lens. It's the focus and depth of field that's the problem.
    At 5 frames per second, the camera does the best it can. The autofocus mode can be one of five types: center focus, closest object, etc.
    Five frames per second=:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Yeah I tried based on your recommendations last year, but all I had with me was a 92 brightness printer paper, which is probably too blue.Also some gyms have a mixture of two different flourescent lights and depending on the
    You would think if I could afford my camera, I can afford that grey/white thingy that you recommended--I'll get one next time I order some lens filters.
    I was not that impressed with the auto white balance on the D70, but the auto white balance on the D200 seems quite good. The viewing screen on the D200 (battery hog) is also able to discern colors fairly accurately.

I've also been taking pictures of competitive cheerleading in school gyms and I can use the auto or just dial in a Color temperature around 3600.

Posting pictures here depends on monitor colors, mine seem fine.

6. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

the shot looks fine on my monitor, also. I just noticed in your EXIF data that it was auto white balance. ;)

:supergrin:

7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    ....also, while the D200 has a great auto focus system, it's still limited by the lens attached. The Nikkor 1.8 lens, while capable of amazing performance (sharpness/DOF), isn't a speed demon at focusing. Fast sports isn't its forte.

8. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Do you know if the Nikkor f1.4D AF is better?

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Both are fine lenses, and both are capable of fantastic photos. Neither has AF-S focusing, which is Nikon's best.

I would make sure that you have your camera's Auto-fucous set on Continuous Focus, and then I'd be tracking the kids as they approach with the shutter button held down 1/2 way, activating the auto-focus and tracking the subject. Then squeeze the rest of the way when ready.
    If you're not doing this now, this may be all you need. I've shot some sports with the 50mm 1.8 and made it work. It's still not a sports lens, but keep working with it and you'll learn how to use it.

Good luck

10. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

11. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Thanks,
    I actually found that same link and read it last week.

As stated in the link, I found this to happen to my basketball pictures when taking a series of shots (such as 5 per second):

"Auto White Balance works well in the D200. As the camera’s RGB meter senses colors, it does its best to balance to any white or mid-range grays it can find in the image. However, the color will vary a little on each shot. If you shoot only in Auto WB mode, your camera considers each image a new white balance problem, and solves it without reference to the last image taken. Therefore, there may be variance in the color balance of each image with Auto WB.

If you are concerned with a series of images having the same color settings so that they look similar and require no extra postprocessing, it is best to actually adjust the white balance to one of the preset or measured values. Then, each image taken will have the same color balance.

If I’m at a party, shooting images of friends for small snapshot prints, I’ll often put my camera in Auto White Balance and Program “P” exposure mode. Then, I’ll just take lots of pictures without worrying about a thing. However, if I’m shooting for commercial reasons, or am concerned with maximum image quality, I use a gray or white card and balance my camera to the available light. I only rebalance if the light source changes. Use Auto for when you are not overly concerned about absolutely correct white balance. It’ll be close enough for normal use."