close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Let's make sausages a tutorial

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by noway, Feb 3, 2006.

1. noway

noway

Here's a tutorial on sausages. Once you make your own sausages you will never buy store bought sauages again. These are Italian sweet links done with 21mm collagen casings stuff with Curly Parsley, dried oregano & basil, shreded asiago cheese, crack black pepper, a little salt and fennel season.

[​IMG]

The key things with making sausage is getting or grounding the pork or whatever meat you are using. I had my local store provide me 8lbs of ground pork ( 80/20 ) and seasonings all of the ingredients mention above. I like to let the meat sit wrapped in the fresh food section over night before handling the meat.

[​IMG]

make sure the meat is mix good and the correct ratio of seasoning. You will have to experiement to find out what you like ;)

Next, clean all parts of the sausage mixer. I have a stainless steel LEM that I bought to replace my older model. I wash it down with hot soappy water and then for added measures boil a pot of hot water and pour it over the body and discharge nozzle.Once you are satified on your cleaness, prepre your casing. The collagen are nice but cost more than natural casing which btw are made from hog/sheep/lamb/goat intestines and are washed salted and dried.

The key difference after the price;

>The collagen can be store at room temp,

> No re-freezing of unless casing

> no need to rinse them ( no water is need or reccommend by the mfg )

> are more consistent in size and shape vrs natural

> are edible and safe

( casing and casing pre started on the nozzle )

[​IMG]

Next after you have the case prep, just push the meat in after tying off the end and getting most trap air out. The task is quite easy and depending on the model will not require alot of force but you can't be a weakling either. Push the sausage full trying to keep the follow steady and don't pop the casing. Natural Casing have an advantage in that they can stretch more than collagen before bursting but you don't want to over fill the casing. Hint tight casing will pop more when cooking on the grill. So if you get a little pushing crazy, ***** the sausage before cooking.

( the output )

[​IMG]

( the wrapped final product )

[​IMG]

( the cooked product )

[​IMG]

You can get some of the classic receipe online or buy numerous books on the art of seasoning making. Get the appropiate casing for what you want. Casing for Dried/Cured sausages would be different than let's say a Hot Italian. Also the correct size casing. 21mm is the normal for your jimmy dean link breakfast links and the bigger 30mms are for brats link links.

Experiement with meats and tryto avoid lean meats. If you have a dehyrdator ( see thread above ), try adding dried tomatoes or other goodies. You don't have to follow receipes to the T but can make/add/changes stuff based on you tongue and nose and what they like.

enjoy ;)

2. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

That saying that one should never watch how laws nor sausages are made, as you'll lose respect for both.

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Before anybody asked, I went ahead and made this a sticky :)

4. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Here's my try...

[​IMG]

I have a recipe for roast pork, roast turkey, and roast lamb, that I thought might make good pork sausages...

I mixed my secret paste marinade into the meat and let it mingle overnight.
    The next day I made the sausages using casings that the local Italian grocery sold me...

They turned out good, but 'good' ain't something I can live with...

My wife LOVED them, but I was too conservative on the amount of marinade/seasoning I used, and made a note to double it next time...

;c

5. noway

noway

Man that looks good ;) I was just about to try to stab the sausage on my computer screen.

6. grahamw

grahamw

Great Pictures

Thanks for the info and tips

7. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

noway,

Thanks for the thread! That looks delicious. Out of curiousity, is English your second language? I am just curious because most Americans couldn't make sausage if their lives depended on it - and, I Had a bit of trouble making sense of your sentence structure.

For what its worth, I'd trade my grammar skills for the ability to cook a great meal in a heartbeat!!!:)

Out of curiosity again.. What the hell were you thinking, making a pork menorah?!?!?:shocked: :alex: ;)

8. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

What diameter collagne and where do you order them?

Thanks!

9. Passafist

Passafist

Thanks this is going to come in handy with the hogs or deer from my next bow hunt for hogs or deer.

10. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

It's almost deer (gun) season here. Why the problem with lean meat? I was thinking that lean venison sausage was my ticket to avoiding cholesterol without avoiding sausage.

Has anyone tried the sausage grinder attachment for a Kitchenaid mixer?