Let's hear your range's stupid rules.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by gadgetnut259, Oct 21, 2015.

1. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259

Ok...I don't mean that all range rules are stupid. Obviously the basic safety stuff is important. I'm talking about really strange or super restrictive rules that some places have. I have a few examples of my own to share:
    From where I live, I only have two options for shooting (unless I drive over an hour away).

Option 1 is a local Fish & Game club which is only 10 minutes from my house. This place has two rules that drive me nuts. First, they close the shooting range for all of deer season except on Sundays. So this means that all members who want to shoot, all show up on the same day...for about 3 months out of the year. Another rule is No silhouettes or targets in the shape or image of people. Bullseye targets only.

Option 2 is a range owned and run by the PA State Game Commission. This place is a nice range, but it's a 40 minute drive. They have a limit of no more than 6 rounds in any handgun at a time, and no more than 3 rounds in a rifle!! Needless to say, it detracts from the experience with an AR!

Honestly, I am beginning to think my local ranges are run by Clinton and Pelosi. Anyone else have odd restrictions at your ranges?

2. JAS104

JAS104 City cop, etc

I'm similarly annoyed by the game commissions rules for outdoor ranges. That being said, I do find it a little annoying trying to sight in a rifle when there's a guy one lane away from me blasting away with his AK like its Somalia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Thread like this remind me of how fortunate I am to have my own range.

Paul53 likes this.
  4. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259

I would LOVE to have land that I could shoot on.

Paul53 likes this.
  5. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259

LOL...yeah, that could be annoying. I try to be considerate of others when I have the AR out. I rarely rapid-fire anyway. But 3 rounds in the gun limit? Seriously?

6. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Ours just doesn't allow rapid fire, which I understand is pretty common. I also understand that it would be impossible to enforce on a case by case basis based on the competence of the individual shooter. Still, it's annoying to not be able to practice accurate double-taps.

Wishoot likes this.
  7. Turn4811

Turn4811

There are three ranges within 15 minutes of the house. The first is a short range that I find is pretty useless for long guns and it is always crowded. The second is a very nice 100 yard range but it is a club and pricey. The third has a rule where you cannot police your brass and does not allow steel or aluminum cased ammo.

I drive 40 miles to a WMA outdoor range. About half of the range officials are firearm instructors and this is a part-time gig for them so they will offer shooting tips. It is a friendlier atmosphere and the shooters tend to be more responsible than the indoor ranges near the house.

Many years ago I had a house that backed up to a pond and had woods on the other side. There was an 8 foot levee that made a good backstop and I had a 175 yard line of shooting. I am planning to move soon and having a range again is one of my priorities.

gadgetnut259 likes this.
  8. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Range near me only lets you shoot with thier ammo. Not allowed to bring any in.

NewWaveGuy and Paul53 like this.
  9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I have my own ranges where I teach new shooters and allow friends and some others to shoot.

Since even a pistol round will travel far enough to possibly hit a house or livestock, I have two safety rules.
    Other than the usual gun handling and gun safety rules we all (should) abide by, my two safety rules are........

You can do whatever you are able to do safely, for instance moving while shooting, shooting handguns at distance, quick draw, etc. but the two unbreakable rules are............
    Under no circumstances will you miss the berm, or shoot me.
    Not necessarily in that order.

The other range rules I have is I won't allow on the range or will I teach Democrats/liberals to shoot.

Some say I shouldn't do this because they possibly may be converted to our side. I've found over the years that they mostly aren't worth fooling with. Their heads are too full of that liberal crap.

KWalrad, Ahmid, CarryTexas and 2 others like this.
  10. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Mostly indoor shooting for me as outdoor ranges tend to be relatively inconvenient (but have heard they are DNR ranges and only allow 3 rounds max, slow fire, no human silhouettes, etc.) but a couple ranges nearby make you purchase their ammo at very inflated prices and even have a "if the brass hits the ground, its ours" rule. Needless to say, I don't frequent them.

11. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

M2......
    Up until this president I was very liberal (but pro 2A). I think a LOT of democrats are learning from the last 8 years.

hogship likes this.
  12. Wishoot

Wishoot

Rapid fire.

It's a private, outdoor shooting range for both pistol and rifle. High dirt berms protect pretty much every side of the range. Even a slow double-tap is discouraged.

I think it disturbs the fudds that come out to shoot the one or two reloads they do for their rifles and spend the rest of the time shooting the breeze with their fudd buddies.

GlockPride likes this.
  13. Tvov

Tvov

A gun club near me also closes it range except for Sundays during deer season... My understanding is that the club is on the edge of State land available for hunting, so a safety concern is hunters accidentally being downrange. Connecticut does not allow Sunday hunting.

What confuses me is the "do not police your own brass" rules?!?! I've never been to a range like that. It's my brass, if I want to pick it up, I'll pick it up! Or the range can reimburse me the cost of the brass. The ranges I've been to all have the rule that you DO police your brass - your shooting area should be clean, neat, and picked up when you leave.

I haven't been to a large variety of ranges, so I don't have a lot of different experiences.

Oh, I just remembered... a local indoor public range instituted a new rule a couple years ago (remember, this is Connecticut): To shoot there, you NEED a carry permit. It is not a CT requirement that a permit is required to just shoot at a range. This means someone with a valid permit cannot bring a friend to introduce to him to shooting, or bring a friend from out of state, or whatever. Last time I went there (I have a carry permit) I brought my brother-in-law and his brother who are from New Zealand. The owner hemmed and hawed, but we were polite, and the brother is actually a retired New Zealand army Bren machine gunner, so after "shooting the breeze" a little the owner let us shoot. Maybe the range owner is getting more business for his carry permit course, but I am not planning on going back there.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  14. colin1230

colin1230

Wow, I am very lucky to live only a couple of miles from the indoor range that I frequent. It is more or less a pistol range because of 25 yard limit and no bottle neck cartridges, they tear up the traps. Their range rules are very agreeable, all of them for the safety of the shooters. The one round per second rate of fire limit is understandable when you see how many rounds have hit the ceiling. :wow: So, I guess I have no stupid rules to ***** about. .:dancing:

Oh, as far as brass is concerned, it is a matter of cleaning up after yourself. If you want your fired brass fine. If not, then sweep it up and dump it in the barrel marked 'Brass Only'. Now once it is in the barrel it belongs to the range. That's as fair as it gets.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  15. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Ranges like that tend not to stay in business very long. I shot at a range like that. I bought 1, 20rd box of 5.56 for my Bushy. 2 hours later, the rangemaster did not notice all the mag changes we did, and all the brass on the floor.........

:supergrin:

16. lifesizepotato

lifesizepotato TatersGonnaTate

One range by me forbids aluminum and steel cased ammo, obviously for brass scavenging/reselling purposes.

GlockPride likes this.
  17. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259

I heard an "explanation" about that once, but I have no idea if there is any truth to it. I was told that the average indoor range gets an accumulation of unburnt gunpowder on the floor, and that steel cases could possibly spark when they hit the concrete. I guess that could be true, but what about the big ball of fire coming out of the gun? I know it's up higher, but still.

18. lifesizepotato

lifesizepotato TatersGonnaTate

I've heard that too. Banning aluminum cases is what gives it away to me. Also, I've been at other indoor ranges that don't have that prohibition.

19. rotorwind

rotorwind

No steel or aluminum at my indoor range too. But they are cool and allow rapid fire and you can pick up brass. Not allowed to draw from a holster either.

20. DonD

DonD

Wow, an outdoor range that makes you forfeit your own brass to give them an extra profit. What sleazebags and a massive ripoff for those who reload. Glad I've never had to contend with garbage like that. Don