Let's hear it for good local gun shops!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by pairof44sp, Jul 1, 2020.

1. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

I went to my local gun store a couple hours ago to pick up my latest pile of FFL orders.

Now, I had spent the afternoon looking online for my first Glock. They are sold out across the country! The used ones online are asking over MSRP. No way!

My local gun store is swamped with customers, and I know that they could be charging just about whatever they like right now. But I took a look and they had Glock 48s for $449, and Century AKs for $799, same as ever. Limit 1 per customer.

Now THAT is a decent gun shop owner.

BTW, the shop is Lawful Defense in Gainesville, FL. Owner Glenn Jones is a good man, and I will be buying my first Glock there soon.

2. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Hear Hear!

I prefer to do business with local gun stores.

snowbird.40, Intolerant and redrick like this.

3. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    If I had a good local gunship, I would give them my business; unfortunately, I do not.

4. Earl B

Earl B

The local shops have really demonstrated how valuable they are over the past few months. In the Greenville, SC area I love South Carolina Gun Company and Mauldin Arms.

snowbird.40 and Kentucky Shooter like this.
  5. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

My local shop low balls buds and sells alot of guns doing it. East ky gun and pawn great shop but always busy so if you go be prepared to wait lol.

6. dbuck47

dbuck47

I live in a fairly small town area ( total county under 30K) and blessed to have 3 independent gun shops and 2 pawn shops that sell guns. The three dedicated gun shops have maintained their prices at the normal street price, and one of the pawn shops at their normal which is only about $10 over street price. The other pawn shop generally doesn’t stock new guns, but has always been very negotiable on their used ones. Two of the gun shops have ranges; one is indoor.

7. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

My local store is Florida Gun Exchange; been a customer there for 20+years.

This view is only HALF of the gun display.

:alex:

fge_1.jpg

Gfive45, Intolerant, TexFarm and 2 others like this.
  8. Para-bellum

Para-bellum

In Florida I like a small shop called “ol’ Time gun shop”. Sells right at street price and is a blue label dealer. He’s generally great on trades esp if you’re buying another gun from him.

9. Orive 8

Orive 8

I've lived in the greater Pittsburgh area for the past 18 years now. I have visited just over 40 FFL in that time (all within a radius of 90 miles or so). Over the last 4 years or so I have bought guns from 8 different FFLs. So I can say that I have been to "a few" LGS.

Over the last 3 months - I have placed three of them on my "never buy or enter them again" list.

Two of them refused to handle face-to-face private handgun sales. I am a believer that the business owner can do what they want, after all it is their store. But in this state (not like the past two that I lived at) an individual handgun sale must go through an FFL. By the store not doing private transfers - they are forcing me to go somewhere else to transfer my handgun sale, so if that is the case; after this Chi Com Flu fiasco is over - you can rest assured that I will continue to go somewhere else when I want to buy my next handgun.

The third store story is this: I went into the store a couple of days ago looking to see if they had a box of Hornady Critical Defense Lite .38 ammo. The clerk said no, I said "yeah I just figured that I would check". He then said "Even if we had it, I couldn't sell it to you." I replied "Why not?"

His statement: "We are only selling carry ammo to people who purchase a gun here."
    I looked at him with a WTF expression and said - "yeah, OK I won't be coming back" He replied "well its been hard for us to get it right now"

Seriously? You try to help the local gun store by spending $$$$ with them and this is what you get?

Oh well - still have a few stores to purchase from... oh yeah, then there's that new thing called the internet too.

Current Resident and Intolerant like this.
  10. NewYorker

NewYorker

If I had a solid gun store to purchase from, I would. However, not the case. I do have an FFL that goes above and beyond to help. Hes close by with great prices.

11. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

That's great to hear. I only have one LGS and they are way overpriced on guns and ammo even before all this started. They also refuse to do transfers. I have no idea why people continue to go there.

There is a friendly pawn shop on the other side of town that does transfers and has a few guns in stock. They always treat me right so I will continue doing my transfers with them. The last time I bought a gun at a store was 2006 I think.

12. jmohme

jmohme

Crosshairs Texas in Bastrop.
    Great folks. Always helpful, and give me a substantial discount for cash purchases.
    It is a small shop with a fairly small inventory, but anytime I have wanted or needed something, they had it for me quickly and at a fair price.

Intolerant likes this.
  13. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

I have delt with Midwest Gun And Range in Elkhart for many moons, they have a larger store in Mishawaka that stocks a lot more guns.

Intolerant likes this.
  14. TexFarm

TexFarm

I’m very fortunate here in Central Texas. I have GT Distributors in North Austin and The Gun Warehouse in Cedar Park. Both are fantastic gun shops. The different models of CZ firearms at the Gun Warehouse for sale is very impressive.

cbetts1 and jmohme like this.
  15. gamecocks

gamecocks

Probably should have kept that to himself, but I think it is ok for a shop to hold some ammo to go with guns, should someone buy one. I bought my 1st handgun a few months after Sandy Hook. My LGS found me a Glock 19 at a fair price, when they were nowhere to be found in my area at any reasonable price. He also had 2 boxes of 9mm ammo for me to buy, when 9mm was very hard to find. He had a little stash in the back for customers just like me...so at least when I bought my gun, I could go shoot it a little bit. I always appreciated that.

MikeV., Ted Smith and R*E like this.
  16. rcems2000

rcems2000

I drive about 45 minutes from home to Kathys Gun and PAWN in Reidsville N.C. Its a father and son team and they are great. The son is a glock armor and does suoer work. They give leo discounts. They are my go too. They have always treated me with respect.

17. Current Resident

Current Resident

Identical incident here, I asked the guy are you in business to be profitable?

18. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun

There are no new OTC Glocks available anywhere within a 50 mile radius of where I live.

I expect Peak GLOCK hereby Halloween. GLOCK Glut coming next year.

If you've a surplus of GLOCKs, sell 2 by October roll them over and pick up a free GLOCK next salad spring.

Everybody will be happy!

19. Glock17193643

Glock17193643

Nichols Outfitters Pelham Alabama. Awesome store and people. Picking up P320 M18 this morning.

20. dre23

dre23

My favorite also, was in yesterday getting some .45

willie_pete likes this.