Lets have a dog thread

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bennwj, Aug 2, 2017.

1. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

Awesome. It is worth it. My current 3 yo GSD had issues, like wanting to attack/destroy everything that moved (yes everything). We worked through them, and now she is a great dog. Always on guard though, but now she just alerts instead of attacks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

See, that's the one and only plus to 'tween' dachshunds :)

3. Dynactus

Dynactus

How old was she when you got her? Do you know anything about her history? I'm seeking some direction in rehabilitating this great GSD.

Maine likes this.
  4. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

2 months when we got her. Wife got her while I was out of town and surprised me (previous GSD passed away a few months earlier after 17 great years). Found out she came from a working dog breed line as opposed to a family pet line, hence her aggressiveness.

Her bad qualities (focus on threats, attack them, chase bad guys off, trust nobody but your owner and even then have a plan to kill him, when in doubt, bite/chew it) are good things for police/mil dog, but not for a family dog.

We worked with a retired MIL K9 trainer who had trained MIL dogs into family pets. She showed us what to do, and we worked on it, taking a few months. She did have us use a shock collar, but only pressed it a few times at low voltage, dog learned quick, I was really hesitant about this, but the results worked, and the problem needed correcting (chasing moving car tires, attacking livestock, and people who came to house.

I am happy with results, it was a combination of training and the dog maturing. And yes, there was a time when we thought she could not be fixed, and would need to be put down. But I did not give up on her. So I am glad to see you are doing the same.

5. elsolo

elsolo

Then they just use your lap as the chair.
    http://i.imgur.com/OMTSLlT.jpg[/ing]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

NewWaveGuy, janice6, Maine and 2 others like this.
  6. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

janice6, Maine and Dynactus like this.
  7. Hartford

Hartford

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my boy Buckly. He's almost four months old. Great Dane and a mastiff, not sure if bull or English, mix. Those picture are week or two old. Going through a growth spurt right now. Had to let his collar out today.

He can be very stubborn when he wants to do something but his feelings get hurt very easily if you speak harshly or physically stop him from doing something he really wants to do. There was a two week rough spot with him that seems to be over for now.

Turning into a good dog. Finally learning what he can do with his mouth and how to not bite when playing with toys. Sometimes now he feels bad when he accidentally bites while playing, other times he's so wound up I don't think he realizes. He's a smart little guy too. Picks up on commands quickly and figures out dog puzzles fast.

8. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

That picture could be a Norman Rockwell painting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

moeman, NewWaveGuy, janice6 and 3 others like this.
  9. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

10. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Image-1.jpg IMG_0075.JPG My boy Ryder and my girl Shadow. I've had Shadow for 10 years or so, border collie/lab mix, super smart with a huge vocabulary and knows what you are saying. If you want her to do something just ask...she will figure it out. Ryder was supposed to be a Jack Russell that my wife was rescuing. He was 8-9 lbs and the vet and everyone else said 20/25 ish, smaller house dog sized. Well, he isn't a Jack Russell and weighs 110. He just turned 3 so I assume he isn't growing anymore but it wouldn't surprise me. Sweet natured but not necessarily needing a lot of human contact. He is happy to sit and stare at you from across the room some days, but will cuddle and be as sweet as can be others. He is very protective of my family and sounds like a dinosaur if someone rings the doorbell. Definately a good boy! The thumbnail image is Ryder when we got him, you see how we fell for the "Jack Russell" story. IMG_0147.JPG

11. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus

It's full throttle Derpathon in my house with these two idiots:

Akira (yellow Lab, although he's really red, just like his mother)

IMG_0850.jpg

17039081_1208852582563580_4455489877075566085_o.jpg

Bonsai (Chihuahua, the terror of the household as she allows no fun from Aki)

IMG_9510.jpg

19955979_10209792179457571_672091642186137160_o.jpg

12. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

No, MDI (mistaken dog identity). Lola has never been to a horse show. She is just your run of the mill black and tan minpin. No doubt there are others out there with the same name. She's flattered you asked, though.

13. 1L26

1L26

That's a security issue. They can get into a place that nothing can sneak up on them. Sometimes a crate will work if you want them to sleep in another location of the house.
    Black Shepherds Matter.

14. clancy

clancy

Jim's pics 001.JPG

My son was maybe 7 when I took this picture. He will be 16 in 2 weeks.

15. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

every time I see a Pyr I miss our big girl we lost at 12( a long full life for a great Pyr)

janice6, huskerbuttons, Maine and 3 others like this.
  16. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0033.JPG These are mine. The Boxer is Bella, the diva. Then is the mountain, Laredo. He's 125 pounds of protector the realm, half Belgian Trevuryen and half Aussie. The the distinguished gentleman my 17 year old lab/heeler.

Attached Files:

17. newglocker10mm

Sorry. Just finding out how to attach pic

Maine likes this.
  18. clancy

clancy

He passed a few years back, from complications of Lyme disease. By the time we knew what was wrong, it was too late. Our vet never told us there was a vaccine for it. I have been around dogs all my life, Dobermans, Akitas, Kuvasz, and never felt as safe as I did when we had him. He had a Baby Huey personality, until it was time to not, and he could be pure hell on 4 feet, as an intruder, 2 coyotes, and the local thug's pitts learned the hard way. He was also my companion in the woods, and I think of him every day.

Jim's pics 002.JPG

19. newglocker10mm

Beautiful big boy.

Nestor and Maine like this.
  20. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Dogs are inherently dangerous and unpredictable. You'd have to be crazy to own one.

:rofl: opps, wrong thread. :wavey:

Sadly, I'm currently dogless. So I'll post pics of my last couple.

Kirby. Aussie/Heeler. Loveable to family but dumb as a post. And aggressive to strangers. Eventually ended up on a sheep farm where he did better. :dog:
    [​IMG]

Nia. Pit/Boxer. Best dog in the world. Stolen from my lot. :crying:
    [​IMG]

There's a couple more that were short term rescues while we found them homes... but can't find the pics right now. Pippen the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel... OMG the hair. :faint: And Copper the Beagle... OMG the baying. Both in happy homes now. :thumbsup: