close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

let's go snipe hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Nov 8, 2004.

1. noway

noway

The best migratory birds for hunting in S.Florida are back. Snipes scouting this morning , revealed about 30 or so birds this morning. This is one of the best hunting bird ( next to doves) and more common, than quails. If you don't mind getting slightly muddy and wet then this is the bird for you.

The tools you will need are #6 shot, 12ga or 20ga ( bigger is better ) and either tall mud boots or hip waders. You will need alot of energy dragging your rear-end thru the wet marsh, shooting at every angle possible. This bird is a real challenge to hunt. BUT is active thru out the day. Some of the best areas are in the semi-wet marsh, where hogs laid down and rutt'd around in. These smal over turned dirt/mud attracts bugs which the Snipes eats off. You walk these areas with SG mounted and slowly approach them in hopes of spotting the snipes or just being surprise when they shriek and take off the ground. You only have about 2secs to get a shot off before their out of range.

One common joke around these parts, " If a snipe has a options A, B or C to escape... He always takes option D".

AS he his unpredictable. ;f

They cook up pretty much the same as doves but don't tastes as good. I made a mistake last year and didn't realize that snipes feathers, sales pretty good on ebay or fly ties.

2. noway

noway

here's a picture

3. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 6 of .44

Heh, I saw a couple of those early this year when I didn't have my shotgun. Not like it would have mattered, because I couldn't for the life of me figure out how in the world I am supposed to HIT one of those! Small, high-speed target with alot of cover to hide in. I could see the entertainment value in hunting them though.

My personal favorite is tied between ruffed grouse and duck. Grouse are fun because I don't have to worry about the potential for a swim. And they ALWAYS surprise me when they take off. Some of them let me walk up and shake hands, others flush out of range. Ducks are fun just because I like being down on the water, over decoys, with a friend manning the calls. Good times either way.

Good luck and good shooting. You have my respect for being able to tag such hard targets!

4. jeager

jeager

snipehunts are no longer
    allowed as standard program fare
    in the boy scouts of america.
    J
    M

5. noway

noway

snipes are real a blast to hunt. Much more action then let's say a quail flushing or dove. These 2 snipes taken required alot of patience and alot more shells than the 3 shown. I actual load a hot hi-velocity 1.25oz of #7.5 to drop them. You are shooting while ankle to knee deep in mud/water , no swing from the hips, tired from all of the walking thru the bogs and slough.

6. Delta-9

Delta-9 ( Jon )

LOL - I went on one of those. It was the father - son camping trip. One of the older kids (my frineds brother) said we are gonna go on a snipe hunt. So we went out in the woods, got scared (it was dark out), returned 10 minutes later. 45 minutes later the older kid came back to camp with the snipe that he alledgely "caught" in a brown paper bag. He never did open up the bag and show it to us, (wonder why).

He really had us going, but we were young naive kids.