Let The Circus Begin

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by CatsMeow, Feb 8, 2010.

1. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

2. edtf

edtf

Bro That was what I always say during the campaign period. :rofl:

Kulang nalang mag back flips and somersaults yung mga candidates :whistling:

3. ans3288

ans3288

:juggle:
    i agree, let the circus begin!

watching from the sidelines, relax enjoy the show!
    :popcorn:

4. Wp.22

Wp.22

+10000000 at pilitin wag mah highblood sa mga antics nila

5. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

Just as expected.
    http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=548288&publicationSubCategoryId=63

Opening salvos fired
    (The Philippine Star) Updated February 10, 2010 12:00 AM

Sen. Jamby Madrigal with a vendor in Quiapo, Manila. Edd Gumban
    | Zoom MANILA, Philippines - Campaign posters went up and jingles blared at election rallies and motorcades all over the country yesterday as the country’s richest politician and the son of its democracy icon fired the opening salvos in the tight race to succeed President Arroyo.

Sen. Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III, son of former President Corazon Aquino and former Sen. Benigno Aquino Jr., and his main rival Sen. Manny Villar are promising a fresh start and clean government for the Philippines after nine years of tumultuous rule dotted with coup attempts and corruption allegations.

Aquino, campaigning in Concepcion Tarlac, took potshots at Villar.

“We all know our opponent has the money. And there are those who say that the forces of darkness will come together,” he said in his speech. “The question is, will the force of light be overpowered?”

Aquino had an early head start in popularity thanks to his family name, but recent opinion polls put the two major candidates in a statistical dead heat, with analysts suggesting Villar’s lavish campaign spending has allowed him to catch up.

Villar’s Nacionalista Party, which kicked off the 90-day campaign in Calamba, Laguna yesterday, downplayed the attacks by Aquino and the Liberal Party.

“I am spending my own money,” said Villar, who rose from poverty to make his fortune in real estate before entering politics.

Villar, 60, narrowly avoided censure by his colleagues in the Senate for his alleged role in the rerouting of a highway so that it passes close to his real estate developments. He said the charges are trumped up.

Aquino, 50, has anchored his campaign on fighting corruption and restoring the credibility of the judiciary and Congress, which he says have been seriously eroded by Arroyo. But he is also struggling to step out from the shadow of his mother Cory.

Elections in the Philippines are always colorful and typically marked by fraud and violence, but voters are hoping to turn over a new leaf after the scandal-plagued administration of Arroyo.

More than 50 million voters will choose a president, vice president, nearly 300 lawmakers in the two-chamber Congress, and more than 17,600 local government officials in the first nationwide automated polls on May 10.

Yesterday, candidates pressed hands with vendors, housewives, laborers and teenagers as they hopped from town to town just a few hours away from Metro Manila, visiting markets, parks and churches on the first of 90 days of campaigning.

Some candidates heard Mass at churches, with one transforming his rally into a prayer gathering, re-enacting the Lenten tradition of Jesus Christ washing the feet of his disciples to illustrate his desire to be a public servant.

Historically, popular personalities from political clans, the media, sports and show business dominate the elections in the Philippines, but some analysts are seeing some positive changes.

"In this election, I see a 50-50 ratio on personalities and platforms or issues as the political race heats up among the leading presidential candidates," said Ramon Casiple, executive director of Institute for Political and Electoral Reforms. – AP

6. ahtsay

ahtsay

I have last song syndrome of Villar's commercial :ack: Parang ayaw ko na manood ng TV.....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

Hmmmm...here's a map of the C5 extension project. You be the judge.

[​IMG]

8. z_e_n

z_e_n

Heard over the news that villar said his company wasn't even paid for right of way for the C5 extension. I'll gladly give a portion of my property for right of way anytime if my real estate value would jump more than 20 times!

What ever happened to the saying..... the nearest distance between 2 points is a straight line?

9. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

You know, there is a certain merit to the oft-mentioned proposition that only those with an income tax return should be allowed to vote. Looking at the opening antics:upeyes: of the candidates, I don't think they're directed against people who know better... I don't need a "Transformers truck" or a big flag, or a stage with blaring music, to tell me whom to vote for...

It's gonna be a long four months...

10. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

And we now have a rotating brownout... here in our big island of Mindanao... with all the hydro-electric power plants... and El Nino is yet on the on-set...

What does this got to do with the circus? Speculatively, are we being conditioned... :) Just read between the lines.

11. Allegra

Allegra

you mean failure of elections?
    well , watch the military
    Kung meron man plano , I have a feeling sila ang gagamitin

12. edtf

edtf

The new C5 fiasco is unfolding QC style :) - There is a camela homes located at sauyo rd. which incidentally would be hit by a major road called republic hiway and there are more subdivisions on the drawing board

13. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

It's a no brainer as to where those ads are directed...

I do agree that the weight of your vote be directly proportional to the amount of tax you pay... Since it is our taxes which runs the gov, it is only fitting that we the taxpayers have a say on who runs the gov...

Just my 2 bukos...

Just experienced a brownout here in Butuan while replying to this thread... :rant:

14. Allegra

Allegra

I'll take Villar over Noynoy though
    Sakin,I dont think Villar is running for president to make money
    he's already a billionaire and he doesnt need to be a public official to make another billion
    I think it's his ego

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  15. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

The only thing to believe in the news nowadays is the date.

16. edtf

edtf

FG had the billions but wanted more, more and more..............

17. Allegra

Allegra

but thats the diff
    Villar can make another billion outside of govt , he's still very young
    Heck , if he justr concentrtates sa C&P and crowne royal , he can steal back the market share from Ayala he lost
    Just imagine if he ruins his rep because of corruption , sino pa bibili nang bahay at lupa sa kumpanya nya
    Pure specualtin on my part hehe but I bet I'm right

18. edtf

edtf

forget reputation if you have 10-15 billion or even more for being president!! greed is like a void that can never be filled. I'm not saying this of Villar - I'm just playing around with the idea - probably just sick and tired of the unending greed shown by people in power.

19. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

When asked on his reason for running for president. Villar answered that it was his dream to lead the nation and he would spend millions of his own money to level the playing field and to achieve it.

Sounds a fair enough reason to me.

20. Allegra

Allegra

could be the money
    Pero i'm betting it's his ego and the challenge
    Mga mentality nang self made billionaires kasi , it's not about the money
    It's about being numero uno
    Plus, Wala naman ostentatious displays of wealth ang asawa at mga anak niya