close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Let the Beeeotwitch Slappin' Begin !

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Squaw Man Wolfer, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31682.html

Dems trade unfriendly fire
    By: Tim Grieve
    January 19, 2010 07:41 PM EST

The Democratic Party collapsed into a circular firing squad while waiting for election returns from Massachusetts Tuesday, with everyone from Martha Coakley's pollster to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi taking shots at other Democrats.

The not-so-implicit premise: Democrats were anticipating losing the seat Ted Kennedy held for more than four decades. And they did.

While Democratic Senate insiders and some White House officials are blaming their own party’s nominee for a lackluster campaign that let Republican Scott Brown frame the race, Pelosi preemptively suggested Tuesday that her Senate counterparts shared part of the blame.

"We're always in touch with our members," Pelosi said at an afternoon press conference. "In the House, we don't have surprises when it comes to elections."

Pelosi’s dig at her Senate colleagues was harsh — but no more so than much of the back-and-forth that played out in a sort of pre-mortem for the Coakley campaign at other levels of the party.

POLITICO reported Tuesday morning that Democratic insiders in Washington — including officials at the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel — were putting some of the blame on Coakley for putting Kennedy’s seat at risk.

By mid-day, Coakley’s crew was pushing back — hard.

A Coakley adviser took the White House and the Democratic National Committee to task for “leaking” and said that, “If Martha is guilty of taking the race for granted, so is the White House and the DNC."

In a memo — provided to POLITICO while Massachusetts residents were still voting — the Coakley campaign all but conceded defeat, arguing that “National Dems Failed to Aid Coakley Until Too Late.”

In bullet points, the memo specifically rebutted claims from Washington that the campaign had been slow to report shifts in the mood of the electorate, insisting that the campaign had “noted concerns about ‘apathy’ and failure of national Democrats to contribute early in December” and further had “requested national Democratic help” late in 2009.

The “DNC and other Dem organizations did not engage until the week before the election, much too late to aid Coakley operation,” the memo continued.

A senior Democratic Party official punched back in an e-mail to POLITICO’s Ben Smith.

“This memo is a pack full of lies and fantasies — The DNC and the DSCC did everything they were asked and have been involved in the race for several weeks, not just the last one,” the official wrote.

“The campaign failed to recognize this threat, failed to keep Coakley on the campaign trail, failed to create a negative narrative about Brown, failed to stay on the air in December while he was running a brilliant campaign. It's wishful thinking from a pollster, candidate and campaign team that were caught napping and are going to allow one of the worst debacles in American political history to happen on their watch that they are at the eleventh hour are going to blame others.”

The official’s brutal closing assessment: “The candidate in this race and the campaign have been involved in the worst case of political malpractice in memory, and they aren't going to be able to spin themselves out of this with a memo full of lies.”

A Coakley adviser told POLITICO’s Jonathan Martin that the White House shared much of the blame for being caught flat-footed and claimed that the Democratic nominee held a wide, 20-point lead over Brown as late as Dec. 19 — only to see it disappear as Senate Democrats voted for health care reform, controversy erupted over Democrat Ben Nelson’s deals with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, and a man with explosives in his underwear tried to take down an airplane on Christmas Day.

A Democratic Party official countered that only one thing really changed between Dec. 19 and the arrival of worse polling news on Jan. 5: “The Brown campaign went on air and aggressively defined their candidate as well as the Democratic candidate, while the Democratic candidate was literally on a vacation. During that period, the Coakley campaign did no further polling, advertising, or ID'ing of supporters despite having a significant fundraising advantage.”

Hill sources told POLITICO Monday that Emanuel was privately pinning some of the blame on Democratic pollster Celinda Lake. Sources said that Emanuel, the architect of President Barack Obama’s big-bang theory, charged Lake with failing to see the warning signs in Massachusetts until it was too late.

Lake didn’t comment Monday, but she unloaded to the Huffington Post’s Ryan Grim Tuesday, calling the criticism a not very “useful” attempt to “protect” a White House that’s not “comfortable” with the tone it’s going to take to win elections in 2010.

"There's a lot of blame to go around, but the point of the matter is there's a wave. And that wave, it hit Virginia; it hit New Jersey; it hit Massachusetts," she said.

Lake blamed Democratic “institutions” for not giving the Coakley campaign more money to conduct tracking polls and push a “populist economic message.”

At the White House Tuesday, press secretary Robert Gibbs was asked if a loss in Massachusetts would be a sign that voters are uncomfortable with Obama’s agenda.

"I think there's a tremendous amount of upset and anger in this country about where we are, economically. That's not a surprise,” he said.

Does that mean that the administration is out of touch with Americans? "I think, according to any reasonable measure, the answer to that is, of course not,” Gibbs said.

But in a sign of the party’s very public disarray, Democratic Sen. Evan Bayh of Indiana felt free to take the opposite view in an interview with ABC’s Jonathan Karl Tuesday.

Bayh said that “moderates and independents even in a state as Democratic as Massachusetts just aren’t buying” the Democrats’ message and “just don’t believe the answers we are currently proposing are solving their problems.”

“There’s going to be a tendency on the part of our people to be in denial about all this,” Bayh told ABC, adding, “if you lose Massachusetts and that’s not a wake-up call, there’s no hope of waking up.”

Patrick O’Connor, Jonathan Martin and Ben Smith contributed to this report.

© 2010 Capitol News Company, LLC

2. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

Sounds like the 'liberal lions' are eating their young...

I suppose that it's too much to hope for that the Demos will take this defeat as a message from the people.

Go Brown!

Ronaldo

3. lawandorder

lawandorder

They have not seen anything yet!

4. Misty02

Misty02

While I’m not sad at all to see a Democrat loose I find it ridiculous that members of their own party would throw stones.

It doesn’t apply just to politics, whatever happened to having a goal, planning and working toward that goal? I find it extremely funny (not the ha ha type) how others would jump on board at the end of the game to criticize how someone has played. If it is important to you that they win you should provide whatever assistance is necessary to make a difference while there is a chance to affect the results. I guess it is a lot easier to sit back, do nothing and then point fingers at everything someone else did wrong.

Heck, if I want my team to win I’ll help in any way I can, even if I get absolutely no credit for doing so. Pointing fingers after the fact is just in bad taste and demoralizing to all, even the ones doing the finger pointing.

If I had been the one to loose my only comment to those now throwing stones would be “…and where were you with your helpful and insightful guidance and assistance when it could have made a difference between winning and loosing?”

Still, there are times I’m glad some don’t know how to play well with others. :supergrin:

5. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

When have you witnessed democrats acting graciously in victory or defeat?

They are incapable of it.

6. RioKid

RioKid

Their little sand castle is crumbling; the winds of "change" are shifting, I "hope".:rofl:

7. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

Funny, I, like Scott Brown, realize this is the peoples' seat and not Kennedy's seat. I think the writer needs to get his facts straight.

8. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

poor teddy, must be rollin in his grave...:rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I love it.:supergrin:

This is so big and has the democrats so shaken they are even admitting that they run dirty campaigns,
    "failed to create a negative narrative about Brown".

Good thing I'm not a betting man, because I would have lost the farm. No way would I ever believe the people of Massachusetts would go against their puppet masters after all these years.

In your face obama, Pelosi, and the rest of you leftist dirt bags.
    How do you like this "change".:supergrin:

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Coakley CROAKS! :)

11. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

I saw it this way. With Teddy, the voters knew that he brought years and years of power, influence, notoriety, history, and experience to the job. Nobody that he ever ran against could come even close to bringing home the bacon for Mass as he could.

Now that he is gone, it's time to start over. The Democrats running the campaign assumed that people had been voting for Ted the Democrat for the last 50 years, when instead they were voting for Ted, the senator who got us stuff, instead. Whomever won this election would be the junior Senator from Mass. Just one of a 100.

12. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

"A case of hand grenades for all parties"......:supergrin:

13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Let the implosion of the democratic party begin.

14. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

Just a small taste of whats to come this fall. Get ready to ride the "Teaparty Express". I can hardly wait just for the entertainment value :supergrin:

Tom

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Nooo. Only for the DEMONCRATIC party. :supergrin::supergrin::rofl:

16. robertoh

robertoh

We got Change,and I Hope this is just the beginning.:supergrin:

17. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

Fatso might be causing those earthquakes.:rofl:

18. RichardinNC

RichardinNC

The Dems still don't get it. They thought it was a coronation instead of an election.:cool:

19. TacticalBling

TacticalBling

You said it yourself, Misty...It's obvious there's no true teamwork, no ideal, just lip service from a bunch of people looking out for themselves. Hypocrites.

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

An organized party hasn't existed since the years of hte "Contract with America." Once the Republicans lost focus on that, they lost control. The Dem's have peaked already. They didn't have the teamwork necessary to get this done having to back a far-left agenda. TOOOOOO BADDDDDDD!

I give them credit - they did try and rally around Obama. They stayed tight-knit for a whole year. But at teh cost of losing seats in areas that clearly don't vote that far left. Infighting is the only natural progression from here.