Let’s shutdown outdoor trails but not “Essential” places

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Resqu2, Apr 6, 2020.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

If you cut a chain. Adding a padlock hidden might be a good idea. Plus private spot.

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

Yep, my second home, the Va Creeper Trail. No reason to close my trail at all.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

So far it doesn't seem like the wardens or police are patrolling the woods around here looking for rogue corona-virus carriers.
    I may take the atv for ride this afternoon on the trails around me and do some shooting at the gravel pit. I've got a 27-2 that I got from Gunbroker a couple months ago that I haven't shot..and I'm getting antsy about it. Miles and miles of snowmobile trails and logging roads around me...but maybe still a little to muddy to use them without rutting them up.

4. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

Yeah...our parks are closed too. Including the tennis courts, which is incredibly stupid. They dropped the nets, but left them there.

But someone put a few of the nets back up, and I got to hit a little yesterday. Don't know how they did that, someone would need a basic hand-tool to do that.....so not sure on that one.

Flags likes this.
  5. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

I'm actually going to buck the common opinion here and say I think the states closing the parks is a good thing. Here's our situation, the governor of Colorado closed most state owned parks, designated camping areas, and trail heads. The national forest leaders in the state followed suit. The governor also discourages hunting and fishing. However, the division of wildlife on their website specifically states hunting and fishing is NOT closed and encourages hunters/angles to maintain distance. So basically the congregated areas, the bathrooms, huts, cabins, stores, trailheads, etc. are closed. AWESOME! The issue in Colorado is Denver. I live in the mountains outside of Denver, rural, can shoot guns in my yard, and the highway leading to the mountains by our house looks like the Friday before 4th of July weekend. It's the urban areas in the state that a rampant with the virus. They need to stay at home. Denverites have ruined Colorado. It's their righteous attitude to load up their Rav4's and Subura's on take over our mountain landscapes. Not a care in the world for all the small towns along the way, the parking lots, the trailheads. Clog the highways with your underpowered SUV towing your REI toys like you own the place. It's out of staters and out of countryer's that closed our ski slopes - they brought the virus to our state. Keep your Subaru and ebike in your suburban garage. I'm glad the governor is encouraging them to sit at home...for once.

barryinpa and Trebore like this.
  6. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

They closed county parks in St Louis. I’ve always been walking 2-3 times a week, and yes more people were out, but come on!

The city has work crews out, “essential businesses are open” and I can’t walk in the park?

Yes, family or friends were walking side by side, but so were the Sheriffs I saw.

FullClip likes this.
  7. Mattmangt

Mattmangt

People are stupid! 80 plus cars crammed into a 35 space trail head parking lot in my neighborhood last week.
    Damage to the trailhead signs, grafitti sprayed on boulders, hikers getting knocked down by bikers and all kinds of stupid sh!t going on.
    It was repeated in trails and beaches all over the county so the county said enough is enough and closed them.

It doesn't prevent us locals from walking our dogs or taking hikes and so on but it discourages 100s of people coming in from elsewhere, cramming in and ruining things for everyone while also spreading around a nasty ilness.

Mountain10mm and Trebore like this.
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Here they have shut down parts of the parks, like basketball and baseball, but the trails are still open. We go on them pretty often.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

We had that here - displaced hoodrats filling up the parks because they couldn't hang out wherever those POSs hung out before. That's when they shut down the parks, but the open trails are a little more work than the hoodrats are willing to put in - they aren't like level ground trails you find in state parks or something. Most of them were created by the local mountain bikers.

10. pugman

pugman

They thought of closing a park here then realized the first gate is located 90% of the way into the park with lots of parking for side trails outside the gated areas.

And then you could walk the trails into the gated area without knowing its closed.

Then some genius though of putting up a big sign or even building a new gate.

Then common sense kicked in

I've seen groups there..a circle of chairs 20 feet across 6 or more feet from each other. Those who get it don't need to be penalized for those who don't...but then again this is what we are coming to.

11. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

that is dumb, not gonna find more wide open country than big bend national park....I live 250miles east of there

12. UncleDave

UncleDave

Our local parks and trails are still open. People are encouraged to get fresh air and exercise, but maintain the 6-foot rule. Trails are way busier than they ever have been before this crisis, but there is still plenty of room for everyone. Fringe benefit, people are getting outside and exercising more. I consider that a good thing.

For centuries people have understood the benefits of fresh air to respiratory health (unless you have extreme allergies to all things natural). Forcing people to stay inside breathing stale air, dust, and each others' germs for weeks on end hardly seems healthy. Remaining sedentary is not good for the heart, either. So in our zeal to protect everyone from the 0.01% chance they might catch this virus, let's force them to do things that are certainly detrimental to their health? Of course; politicians have to be seen "doing something" to protect us all from ourselves, why should this be any different?

13. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

CAA902FE-852B-476F-B482-7DAD12C8C417.jpeg

UncleDave and FullClip like this.
  14. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

15. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

I had still been hiking my favorite, Tom's Thumb trail, on the northern end of the McDowell Mts.

It is still as full as if no snowbirds have gone home yet (suspect they have not). Mostly 2-3 people groups, so everyone can avoid getting close by walking single file and someone stepping to the side of the trail. But on the weekend groups of 5-9 people are out there making distancing more difficult.

And the 20 something year olds (don't know why it is mostly young ladies that do it) don't seem to have a clue and hike down the narrow trail through the rocks side by side oblivious to everyone else. That makes it impossible to keep 6' apart.

So I've switched to less popular trails and skip weekend hikes for now.

nursetim likes this.
  16. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

kids tend to stick their fingers in their noses, mouths, and rub their eyes. A bunch of kids on a play system would be asking for virus transmission if one of them had it.

nursetim likes this.
  17. nursetim

nursetim

Not just kids. :whistling: :couch: :eat:

FullClip, OGW and G26-Has-my-6 like this.
  18. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

7FCD5228-5B2D-42EA-8492-9C50FDB273F6.png

FullClip likes this.