less than 28days

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jul 31, 2007.

1. noway

noway

I will be back in the field. Not looking forward for the mosqitoes and heat but oh well,,,,, I'll get by ;)

I've setup game cams last week in between thunderstorm and have a few places cleared for ambushing a deer. Bladetips are sharpen, string waxed, and arrows checked for straighteness.

Hope to get some thing this year.

2. suckersrus

suckersrus

11 days until archery moose season.

3. Travispitt

Travispitt

gosh the season always creeps up on me. I better start shooting my bow

4. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

9/8 for Georgia.

I am ready.

Have a couple bucks that I'd like to shoot on train cam.

Here is one that skirted by my stand on the last day of last year - I let him walk.

He may not be so luck this year!

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

6. noway

noway

2 more weekend and the hunt is on ;)

7. noway

noway

sat was hunt is on.... for me ;)

Saw about 6-8 or maybe more deers upon entering my favorite part of my hunting zone at 6:00AM. They scattered like a bunch of grackles ;(

from 6:23 to 9:00AM I saw absolutely nothing but one lazy coon wandering around and 2 turkeys afar going to a grazing area. The mosquitoes, surprising was very low and not bad, but the SUN was coming up hi and fast with no breeze. IT was HOT but not as HOT as a few season back overall it was not bad.

At 09:44AM, I heards some rustling of grass. The sun had by at this time dired any residual moisture off the grass. The sound was too hard for it to be a bird and to soft to be human, and I figured it was heavy animal, so I waited............and during the whole time, no lie "I think I never breathed" ;)

Since the sound was behind me coming upon my dugout palmetto ambush site, that I created. I was scared to death of moving or looking over my shoulder. Just about at this time, 2 young does dart out around my top right shoulder . I was kneeling down, off angle and looking to my left and was prepared to shooting something coming around my left.

So.....

I had a problem. 1> 2 young does standing no more than 10yards away. 2>Both alerted looking right at me. Heads up on both 3> I couldn't move,swing my arms or body with out the deer seeing it or hearing me 4> The deers where traveling thru a cluster of skinny Pines (6-10" dia ) and stacked very close , so I had to act quick or the shot oppurtunity would vanish.

As soon as lead deer got behind some big brushes blocking her view, I had to wait for deer in tow to do the same, she 1st brought her head down , so I shifted my feets, then she moved some more into the upcoming brushing. This gave me some breathing distance and cover so I could draw. So now I was able to get my ass up off the ground and raise up some what, next I drew to full draw with the targeted deer head & neck behind cover, the 1st deer was 100% hidden and I release what I thought would have been a deer vension making arrow. Right before the arrow reach the deer she raised here head and dropped her back.

She heard it or me of the release or the arrow in flight. Distance by this time was about 17 yards. Man i was pisss :sad: The arrow slid right over the her back by about 2".

I swear to god, this deer heard the arrow at the last minute she had the same sense like that of my cat when I throw amagazine in the air at him. nd he jumps before it get their. Where as this deer ducked the arrow.

The deer never figure out it was me and that the shot came from my position, the same 2 deer that inspected me about 70secs ago. The young doe even study the areas of where the arrow landed at for about 10secs before running up and catching up with the lead doe about 12yards further up.

I then waited till the 2 does where further up, since I had cover on the ground, I quickly but quitely, cover the ground using the ground plants as obstacles, I was able to sneek up within another 25yards of the 2 deer, but noway made second mistake, by being impatient.

I mis judge where I thought the deer where. They set me up. I figure the deer where grazing off kinda fast and that both where still further up together , cause the smaller deer-intow rear end was in plain view about 20-25yards away.

WIll the bigger of the 2 had waited back and let doe-in-tow exceed her positions, I guess she was thesmart one ;) . They when I came around this last ground obstacle, she alered, snorted raised tail and , bam she was off.... doe-in-tow did the same.

Either way I had about 3 minutes of heart stopping action for the 7 hours that I hunted.

;)

8. GeorgiaGlockMan

Noway - great story. Thanks, you had my heart pumping.

Better luck next time.

What kind of bow are you using?

9.5 days for me. Sept 8th cannot get here fast enough. I got a fool proof plan to get a couple of does in the freezer early this year. It won't be pretty scenery in the 10 yr old pines where I will be on opening day, but have a couple of fatties patterned pretty well.

Good luck to the 2007 deer hunters may you realize your dreams!

9. noway

noway

60" 60# super kodiak Bear Recurve, FastFlight string, 31" arrows weighing in at 9.7grain per inch, tipped with Magnus or Stinger BHs , fletch RH helical with 5" feathers.

I'm going out next sunday, but with the liter 45# Grizzly recurve;) I hope no more deer duck the sting "per se". I'm also hoping something bigger comes around. That deer last week was 80-90lb tops if that :supergrin:

Good luck on your GA hunt. I'm up in Savannah next month for some scouting and property searching.