GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Here's a hypothetical... Let's say our government banned all semi-auto rifles and pistols with a capacity of more than six rounds Now let's say our government knows who owns these firearms and pass a law requiring LEO agencies across the country to go door to door to confiscate them from otherwise law abiding American citizens. Do you think LEO's would follow orders and confiscate them?

This started in the Gun Control forum. Since it is seeking answers from LE, I moved it to CT.

RussP

If you are here to harass, demean, insult, talk trash about cops, you'd better leave your forwarding address with someone.

We are not going to put up with any more of it.

·
rip "Bud"
9,049 Posts
Here's a hypothetical... Let's say our government banned all semi-auto rifles and pistols with a capacity of more than six rounds Now let's say our government knows who owns these firearms and pass a law requiring LEO agencies across the country to go door to door to confiscate them from otherwise law abiding American citizens. Do you think LEO's would follow orders and confiscate them?
Count on it. Look how easy it was to shut us down over an epidemic.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
They won't go door to door, they'll wait for a neighbor to report a complaint and/or use red flag laws. Individual targets with media hype of how dangerous the individual could be. Hoping after so many arrests, the majority people will start complying. I predict they'll turn utilities off on those who are stubborn holdouts. They don't want to face an armed town or even a neighborhood.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't think it will be LEOs who go door-to-door. Quite a few years ago, there was a book advertised on Shotgun News, written by a Turner, who said soldiers from the UN would go door-to-door to collect guns. With the push to subject us to world rule with the UN as the police force, it could happen. ( Once Trump is gone) I hope that we would never be subjected to world rule but with the way things are moving, who knows.
Look at one of the Justices of the SCOUS. She was dean of an ivy league university and she dropped a required course of US Constitutional Law and replaced it with a required international law course

·
Lost in transit
6,477 Posts
They are just going to kill them by attrition. High costs. Registration. High taxes. Then the chance your kids or their kids turn them in is high.

You have to hide in the shadows with the hicaps. Can never use them or bring them outside. Not to mention no more parts and ammo will be ridiculously high.

They will red flag those who buy more than a 100 rounds because it will be tracked now with licenses and registration.

Make it so expensive to own and shoot as well as allowing firearms and ammo manufacturers to be sued out of existence and over regulating gun stores to the point only huge chains they can control will be able to afford to be in business. Gun ranges will start to disappear.

First ban hicaps. Then start banning semis then military calibers. All that will be left will be 22 and 380 style calibers.

Patriot act 2 will allow them to red flag anyone spouting off about revolution online. Then they grab you on your way to work with a federal warrant and search your home and business at their leisure in safety while you are locked up.

This will be an attrition war not a confiscation war.

·
NRA Life Member
64,110 Posts
You, through your elected representatives, would be using the democratic process to make the law and you hired the police to enforce the law, also through your elected representatives. If you don't want the police to enforce the laws that you made and hired them to enforce, you are going to have to come up with a better solution than "the police should ignore the laws they don't agree with."

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
2020 was a revelation for me. American citizens, as a whole, are watered down sheep and will do as told by their .gov masters no matter what.

Cops won’t have a ton of doors to knock on, because we have more than enough good citizens who will be turning them in...as they were told to do. I’ll be much too busy cataloging all the surrendered guns flowing into the PD.

Let us all chant, “For the greater good.”

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
it would be greatly mixed....it would go between the ones that would refuse and willingly end up fired because of it like me..and the ones that would do it because the job feeds/clothes/puta a roof over the heads of their families....its the same in many aspects you could say this of LE and even the Military...there is a difference between doing what your commander told you...and obeying the constitution. Or I should say there can be..

·
Registered
411 Posts
Cops have no trouble interpreting gun control laws that limit citizens’ rights but defer to constitutional scholars to interpret ‘shall not be infringed’ that limits govt power.

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,543 Posts
This retired fed wouldn’t have, oath of office.

·
JAFO
4,405 Posts
So if a ban became law, you're asking if law enforcement officers would enforce the law.

If a LEO did not enforce the law, he would no longer be a LEO and the question would be moot.
And if they did enforce the ‘law’ it would be contrary to the Constitution and they would be violating the oath. I’m never going to violate anyone’s civil rights under any circumstances.

Orders must be lawful.

·
Registered
16,122 Posts
Of course they will follow their lawful orders and take away your guns. Why wouldn't they?

They work for a government entity that takes its direction from elected officials who legally pass laws to restrict what the citizens can and cannot do.

None of these guys are capable, nor legally equipped, to interpret the US Constitution and decide which laws to enforce and which not to enforce.

Not following an "illegal order" is not the same as not enforcing an unconstitutional law.

They all have families to feed and will do exactly as they are ordered, as long as the laws are in place to support their actions.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Outside of bravado, I don't know anyone working who would ignore a violation of law if there was a safety issue.

Of course, I know plenty of folks who will dump a small bag of weed out in the storm sewer and cut a person loose because "why ruin someone over $20 of pot?"

I'm sure the later will happen episodically with firearms depending on the situation, but I wouldn't expect it to be the norm, nor policy, nor enough to obviate or effectively nullify the law.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts