close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Leonard Junior?!?!?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DScottHewitt, Feb 2, 2010.

1. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

POSTED ON Monday, February 01, 2010 AT 11:45PM

Teen shot by UG police brandishing toy gun
    Orange barrel tip painted over
    By MELISSA SÁNCHEZ
    Yakima Herald-Republic
    This Week Authorities say the 16-year-old who was shot by Union Gap officers Sunday was pointing a toy gun at them.

Two officers mistook a weapon in the boy's hands and shot multiple rounds at him outside his home, said Union Gap police Sgt. Monty McNearney.

The teenager, who was treated at a local hospital with a hip injury, made his first court appearance Monday for possible second-degree assault and firearms charges. He walked with seeming ease into court, where a judge agreed to transfer him to a secure mental health facility. Bail was set at $50,000.

Police said Monday that the boy was not holding a real firearm when he was shot by officers.

"After the fact of it having been pointed at officers, subsequently it was discovered that apparently it was an Airsoft type of gun, that the end of the barrel, they typically have an orange cover that would indicate it's not a real gun," McNearney said. "(This one) was painted over.

"The officers were confronted with what at the time they believed was a real gun."

As standard for any shooting, the officers involved have been placed on administrative leave while the Yakima Police Department investigates whether procedure was followed correctly, authorities said. Both officers are male and have been on the force between three and seven years.

Police have not released the officers' names.

The Yakima Herald-Republic is withholding the teenager's name because he is a minor and has not been charged.

Union Gap police went to his house in the 3800 block of South Second Street at 10:53 a.m. Sunday after a report of an armed man making threats, authorities say. The teenager's father said in an interview that he was told by detectives that his son made the call himself.

When they arrived at the single-story rental, McNearney said, officers found the teenager standing in his yard pointing what looked like a handgun at them.

McNearney said he didn't know whether words were exchanged before officers opened fire.

"My understanding is that everything happened very quickly, almost immediately upon the officers arriving," he said.

Multiple rounds were fired, McNearney said. He could not say how many. Neighbors said they heard a dozen shots.

Later, relatives said one bullet apparently grazed the teenager's hip.

The teenager's father was inside when it happened. He said he heard a pounding and thought it was his son banging on a window. He said he opened the door to see what was happening.

"I saw the police out there and they were shouting at me to return inside," said the teenager's father after Monday's court hearing. "I looked outside the window and saw (my son) was laying on the ground.

"It was crazy, something a father doesn't want to see."

After the shooting, officers handcuffed the teenager's father and took him to the police station for questioning. He was released after an interview, authorities confirmed.

The father said his family is trying to sort out what happened. They spoke with the teenager briefly after Monday's hearing, before he was transferred to a hospital in Spokane.

They don't understand why the officers didn't know his son was holding a toy gun. The family is considering filing an excessive force suit against the Union Gap Police Department, the father added.

Yakima police Lt. Mike Merryman said his department may wrap up its investigation within a week.

He struggled to remember anything like Sunday's incident happening before.

"I can't recall an instance when someone pulls a gun on an officer and it's a toy gun," Merryman said. "It's extremely, extremely rare."

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2010/02/01/teen-shot-by-ug-police-brandishing-toy-gun

================================================

Play stupid games.....

2. silentpoet

silentpoet

Father ought to be charged for a negligent discharge, the one he had 17 years ago.

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Huh?:dunno:

4. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

"Contributing to the stupidity of a minor"?!?!?

5. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

I think the two need more range time.