close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LEO round chambering question ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Eric2340, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

A question for you LEOs out there more specifically than those of us who are just CCW carriers -

When you chamber your weapon before duty, one would assume you obviously clear it at the end of your shift once you come off duty? (????)

** If this is the case, on your next shift do you then chamber a fresh round, or if not how many times do you then re-chamber the same round if one does so? **

I have NO idea - why I ask. I am fully aware of the issue of possible bullet setback from repeated chambering. I was just curious what the LE position for the most part is on this, knowing there are mixed opinions between private concealed carriers.......

Thanks!

Eric

DocPoison and packinaglock like this.
  2. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Not LEO but worked alongside many in my life and can say that I know of no LEO that chambers and unchambers at the start and end of their shift. Most simply carry home and likely put their firearm in a storage location while downsizing their carry gun or carry until bed and leave it accessible in case of need.

The only time mine are unloaded is after draining a mag at a range, or for cleaning and maintenance purposes. ALL guns should be considered loaded, and in my case they most certainly are....

3. jethro21

jethro21

Always loaded unless cleaning. Don't know anyone who clears their weapon after every shift, can't see the logic.

Given that sometimes we have to go into service quickly as soon as we get to work (no briefing), I could see someone potentially forget to load their gun using that practice.

4. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

This is my practice also. SJ 40

1L26, dvm402 and janice6 like this.
  5. TxDoubleAgent

TxDoubleAgent

Not LEO but guessing they follow the same firearms safety rules.

#1 ALL guns are always loaded.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

Most of the LEOs I've known, load their gun after qualification and don't take it out of the holster again until the next qualification.
    Some take their belt home and some put it in their locker at work. Most of them wouldn't know what you were talking about if you asked about bullet setback.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I never unload unless to switch out ammo or range.
    If I have to administrative Lee unload I will use that chambered round as a range round and top off My Magazine with a fresh one

8. Sgt127

Sgt127

I carry a 1911 again after a many year hiatus (interrupted by Glocks).

At the end of the day, gunbelt, with holstered gun, goes into the vault in the trunk of my car.

I knew one Officer that cleared and unloaded his duty gun every day. I finally talked him out of that practice. When cops carried revolvers, it might have been more common. There also weren't many gun safes back then.

janice6 likes this.
  9. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

It is rare that an officer clears the chamber of his firearm at the end of the shift unless the officer is cleaning it.

Usually it goes into his locker or another holster ( off duty/ regular holster) as opposed to the duty belt security holsters we typically have.

I know one or two who unload because they have kids and don't secure it as I would recommend but unload it for safety sake. I think it's stupid and increases the risk of a unintended discharge.

sharpdoc and Phelen_Kell like this.
  10. pgg00

pgg00

When i get home my whole duty belt goes in one of the safes. The gun stays in the holster loaded. When i get ready to go a simple press check is all that is done

11. Caver 60

Caver 60

Not LEO.

But the only time I unchamber, is when I go someplace i can't legally carry and have to unload and lock it up in the lockbox secured in my vehicle. Then I will replace the round after after two or three times of this. Other wise range time and cleaning as others have said.

12. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Eric, we did that when I was a Marine Military Policeman. We had to check in our 1911A1 at the end of our shift. But as a individual you do not have too. Of course the wife was concerned when I stuck a "cocked and locked" 1911 in the sock drawer. (BTW the sock drawer is where I keep my EDC when it is not holstered)

Be safe my friend.

SRT Shaft likes this.
  13. banger

banger

Outside of cleaning... Why would you ever unload the weapon.

A pistol without ammunition is simply a.......decoration.

14. Eric2340

So back to the meat of the second part of my question, if you guys DID clear the chamber at the end of each shift, how often to you change that round that had been chambered?

Thanks -

15. Eric2340

To all -

I'm really kind of surprised to hear this not a common practice in the LE community, but again what do I know, I'm just a CCW'er that sells car parts for a living. :) LOL

Anywho, that is part of WHY I asked - to learn. :) I am VERY well aware that one does NOT have to clear the chamber every time the weapon is stored, but some people choose too when not carrying it. I am a firm believer of not chambering a round until the gun goes IN my holster, and then clearing it once it goes back into the safe. Sorry if that does not work for anyone else, but it does for me.

Anyway, I was guessing (and I was wrong apparently) that LEOs might be doing this, possibly more than anyone else (again, I was wrong) to see how often the changed out that chambered round. Mainly to avoid setback (this was something I was VERY careful about when I carried a .40) but also to know have a round in the chamber with a mangled case rim on it to impede extraction also. :(

With most rounds I don't worry about setback as much as I did with the .40, but I'm still careful about it, but I keep a closer eye on the rim case thing.

The easy answer is to obviously carry a revolver, but I'm sure there are fewer and fewer of us doing that now, so again why I asked - for the many of those like myself carrying a semi-auto.

Thanks -

16. Phelen_Kell

Phelen_Kell

Not LEO. My brother is so I asked him.
    He wrote their policy that their duty weapons are to remain loaded at all times except for cleaning. There will be no unchambering at end of shift nor rechambering at beginning of shift. If you're afraid of your gun, get another job.
    He had a scared former officer that would do it and saw the horrific bullet setback. That officer did it with his off duty weapon as well. They're issued Glock 31s so he's very aware of bullet setback issues with that round.
    Also any weapons approved for off duty carry must be carried in a holster that covers the trigger and a round must be chambered. He had to get rid of some people's bad habits

17. Nunya Business

Nunya Business

When I worked armed security I simply left my gun loaded as I do with my carry gun now

phlorentz and Patchman like this.
  18. Eric2340

Again I'm really surprised to learn this, but I also understand why, I guess my position is just coming from a non-LEO back ground in my firearms training (????), but I can understand their position (LE) also.

Please, no one get me WRONG about this, I am NOT afraid of a chambered round in a weapon, my position is that once that weapon is out of control (out of my holster / out of my hand) or in storage (in my safe) I want it clear incase someone were to pick it up and not have enough sense to check the chamber first. :( Yes I know there are plenty who won't agree and who will also say "if it's in your safe it should not be an issue" but I don't care. I know about Mr. Murphy, and the best intentions, and also how things can go to hell in a hand basket too when no one meant for them too either. :( I believe accidents are made, they don't just happen, and if my way is just one more little step to try to help stop that, then that works for ME, your mileage may vary...................

But again, were I a LEO and this was our policy or our storage practice standards, I would adhere to and again understand them fully also.

19. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Eric we never gave it a second thought. First its not our property. Once a year we'll burn off the duty rounds.

kountycop and 700Grizzly like this.
  20. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

It's not bullet setback that is the reason. The reason is two fold:

One, is safety. The more the gun is out of the holster and "handled" , the bigger chance of an unintended discharge. Studies have shown this

Two is why? If the gun is secured, still in a holster, a level two or three holster at that, why take it out ( it's a mechanical holster and does not draw moisture like a leather one) of the holster at all and just lock it up in your locker at the station house.

No need to unload. What is your purpose in doing so?

As far as changing out the ammo, we shoot off our carry ammo at requals twice a year. Some guys will shoot it off more often, but where I work, that's the standard for most.