Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a AR, SCAR or similar semi auto rifle in 7.62 for duty use. I'm going to wait a few months until the current panic buying runs out and manufacturers can catch up with demand. What manufacturers have an individual officer purchase program and give discounts to verified officers? In the past I have taken advantage of and appreciated similar programs from from Glock and Kel-tec.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Colt does for those who go through their armorer program.
That was my thought as well. Armorer certification is 3 years IIRC, and you can buy off their discount list during that time period after taking their course (if available in your area).

After the armorer course, I decided to build my own (purchased fully assembled and test-fired upper receiver, so no issues there) and it was pretty easy to piece together. Did the whole thing for around $750 waiting on sales from various suppliers and buying gently used add-ons from GT members, and that price INCLUDES a Primary Arms red dot optic and Insight M3X tac light.

Even with Colt or other LEO discounts, you won't otherwise find anything decent under $1000 and most of them start at $1200.

·
Inactive/Banned
3,554 Posts
7.62 is going to limit the field a bit.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
FN does not sell their SCAR through the LE discount, nor does Springfield.

If you are wedded to 7.62, you are going to have to go Colt or perhaps Les Baer, although the Baer set up as a match rifle. The last option is to pay full price.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Smith &Wesson has one. When I went through their armorer course, the instructor said they deal exclusively with Bud's Police Supply ($555 for the Sport*), but Atlantic Tactical had them at a better LEO price ($519 for the Sport).

*I used the Sport model because it is the lowest priced S&W AR. The Tactical was almost $1200 at Bud's. AT had it for $850 (IIRC). Both had long waiting lists.

Edit: just noticed you were looking in 7.62. Not sure what S&W offers in that cal.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
St. Cloud Proud
2,010 Posts
Smith &Wesson has one. When I went through their armorer course, the instructor said they deal exclusively with Bud's Police Supply ($555 for the Sport*), but Atlantic Tactical had them at a better LEO price ($519 for the Sport).

*I used the Sport model because it is the lowest priced S&W AR. The Tactical was almost $1200 at Bud's. AT had it for $850 (IIRC). Both had long waiting lists.

Edit: just noticed you were looking in 7.62. Not sure what S&W offers in that cal.

I hope that's just a range gun and not a duty gun :whistling:

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Just to clarify, FN doesn't sell their SCAR 17 on a LE discount. The SCAR 16 is available through the program, but at over $2,000, one could buy a nice AR, get optics, a bag, mags, and some other stuff for that price.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I hope that's just a range gun and not a duty gun :whistling:
I have the M&P15T for duty (issued). I bought the Sport as a fun gun. I used the Sport price as a comp because I knew the numbers.

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
LWRC has their M6 in 7.62 NATO. It is about $3,200 with a LE discount. A somewhat ridiculous amount of cash for a patrol rifle that is going to be used hard.

·
NRA Life Member
385 Posts
If you want a 7.62 platform, PTR offers an LE discount. I'm carrying a PTR91KC for my patrol rifle, 7.62X51. I'll never go back to 5.56. http://ptr91.com

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
.300 BLK can be found for $11/20, that is not bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts