LEGO my gun...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Elvis269, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Elvis269

Elvis269 alive and well

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35222830/ns/local_news-new_york_ny/?gt1=43001

A fourth grade New York boy faced the prospect of suspension after the principal at his South Beach school saw him playing with an action figure carrying a toy machine gun.

Patrick Timoney, a 9-year-old student at PS 52, and friends were playing with LEGOs during their lunch period when the principal took him into her office over the two-inch toy gun carried by a standard policeman figure.

Margie Feinberg, a spokeswoman for the Department of Education, told the Staten Island Advance that there is a no-tolerance policy for toy guns in schools.

Therefore the principal, Evelyn Matroianni, deemed the pinky-sized toy gun suspension-worthy. Matroianni told Laura Timoney, the boy’s mother, that she would check with a DOE security administrator.

But Ms. Timoney told the Advance that the DOE administrator said no other action was necessary after the toy gun is confiscated and returned to the parents at the end of the day.

According to Ms. Timoney, while another child had an action figure holding an ax, her son was the only one to be approached by the principal.

"It's crazy," Ms. Timoney told the Advance, "He's missing class time, all for silly toys. The boys are just trying to relax. If there's a real threat, why not call the Police Department?"

A conference about the matter was held among the principal, parents, and the child.

"The issue was resolved," Ms. Feinberg told the Advance. "The child will not be bringing the toy gun into school."

The DOE states that all imitation weapons are prohibited because they are regarded as harmful to the school community. The principal can evaluate if the weapon looks realistic before considering suspension.

2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

3. gordo993

gordo993

Stucking Fupid...
    These people have no common sense.

4. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I am not surprised.The schools long ago gave up education as their primary goal in favor of indoctrination.

5. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

That's a pretty big gun for a LEGO. The figures themselves are usually less than 2 inches tall.

6. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Wow, my friends and I used to bring our GI Joes to school when I was a kid, guess that would get you expelled in todays world.

7. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

"I SAID DROP IT MOTHER****ER!!! DON'T MAKE ME SHOOT YOU!"

[​IMG]

8. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

Just shows the unrelenting, biased anti-EVERYTHING attitude libtard teachers take.

This is about as close to saying the NRA is bad and gun owners are crazy as it gets....which out actually saying that, wouldn't want to have to take responsibility for anything they said now, that'd be silly.

9. Agonizer

Agonizer .

10. acpd541

acpd541

11. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

12. B Coyote

B Coyote

Well said.

bc

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I heard of schools expelling kids for pointing a chicken finger and saying bang; another one for having one of those bullet keychains; one elementary kid for having his boy scout swiss army knife that he uses for eating since it has a fork and spoon; and one for having a secured shotgun in his car which was parked OFF-CAMPUS. The last one was overturned and the kid was reinstated because the court correctly ruled that the school's jurisdiction didn't extend into the streets.

Zero tolerance = Zero sense

14. JBaird22

JBaird22

The idea behind zero tolerance is correct. You make no exceptions and it equals fairness. In a Utopian society it works because every thing that is a weapon is the same so you can treat every incident the same. The downside is when you throw into the mix that not everything is the same and common sense needs to be applied to situations. That is where zero tolerance fails... miserably. Schools, teachers and administrators, liberal or conservative, like most of society, lack a certain education about the real world that prevents them from making common sense decisions.

Real weapons are screw drivers wrapped in electrical tape to make them into a shank or real guns or knives.

15. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

16. Detectorist

Detectorist

yet another strike against OC. :crying:

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The idea behind zero tolerance is wrong. Nothing is black and white in the real world. Yes, a weapon is a weapon, but take for example the shotgun in the trunk of a car parked offsite, that was clearly overreaching and also, the town is a small rural town where everyone goes hunting and everyone has their gun in the car, including teenagers. That's the town culture and it's the norm.

Or... the little boy with the boy scout knife. He earned it in his scout class for a few camping and survival classes. He is so proud that he uses it as his utencils and being elementary aged, he never thought twice about it. Yes, it could be a weapon, but did it warrant expulsion?

Lastly, zero tolerance on drugs in school, yes, illegal drugs, no for legal prescriptions and OTCs. I've heard so many stories about kids who had an aspirin pill or some other readily available OTC that got expelled under the no drug policy since only the school nurse can have those things.

This blanket zero tolerance approach to we can stop "racism" is total bull****. That is nothing but assuming that if government doesn't tell us what to do, we will revert right back to Jim Crow and overt racism. That is insulting at best and if we can't trust our educators to not be racist without big brother laying down the law, then I venture that we can't trust our kids with them either. Fair enough?