close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Legality question

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by Juliet Lima, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Juliet Lima

Juliet Lima Hawaiian Guy

Hey all,
    I just had a question. I just bought a G19 (pick it up on 11 Apr), wondering if I could do this. I'm going to Phoenix to visit friends, can I buy a gun there in my name and have it mailed to my house in Cali? I'm guessing that is okay to do so far. Next question, can I then register it in Cali as soon as I get back to Cali and the gun gets here too? I'm guessing I will still be in the 30 day window for handguns. Does me buying a gun out of state and mailing it here, then registering it here bypass the 1 handgun every 30 days rule? The G36 will be so much cheaper in Phoenix than getting one here.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. I'm not willing to break any laws to get a gun at a discount.

-Jeff

2. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

Sounds nice, but you can't do that.

If you are a resident of CA (if you forgot, check your driver's license) then you won't be able to purchase it in AZ and "mail" it to CA. You'd have to prove residency in AZ to purchase the handgun. At least that's how CA views it.

However, there is a solution. What you can do is find a local FFL in your neck of the woods in CA. You purchase the gun in AZ through your FFL contact and have the gun transfered here. Then you still have to pay the CA DROS fee and the FFL will probably charge you a handling fee as well.

When you're all done with the bullship, you'll probably have spent more money that way, rather than just purchasing the gun from a CA dealer/FFL directly.

Why go to AZ spending tons of gas money just to save even $100.00 bucks on the gun. It's probably not worth the hassle, travel expense, fuel expense and lodging expense to buy the gun.

3. Juliet Lima

Juliet Lima Hawaiian Guy

I had a feeling this was going to be the answer.

I just moved to California from Phoenix, and still have my Arizona drivers license as well as my California one. I'm going back to Phoenix for a friends bachelor party. I'm gonna be there anyway, and have the ability to buy a gun there. I just wasn't sure if I could get it into California legally through the mail (because i'm flying).

Thanks for the reply.

4. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

Now wait,,,,,,,,,you said you have your AZ license. Can you still show residency in AZ? If so, buy it there, then somehow get it into CA and register is with CAL Dept. Of Justice as a new CA resident.

That would be legal. However, now that I'm thinking about it, if you already have your CA license, CA won't consider you to be a AZ resident. Somehow you might get caught in a lie and that would be bad.

Sorry.

5. Juliet Lima

Juliet Lima Hawaiian Guy

I am definitely now a California resident. The only reason I still have my AZ drivers license is because the CA DMV lady didn't ask for it, and I didn't volunteer it up to her. With that AZ license I can buy a gun in Arizona, but i'm worried about:

1. sending a gun through the mail
    2. eventually getting it registered in California
    3. breaking a law and being banned from buying/owning guns

on a side note: i'm a federal government employee and absolutely CANNOT risk doing anything illegal for the sake of saving a couple bucks.

6. painkiller

painkiller

Oh,well in that case maybe the BATFE,or DOJ can help with that dilema you have.:thumbsup:

7. camoram

camoram

Where in Cali are you? Most all FFL's will want $100 for a transfer, I have been going to a shop and have made friends with the owner, I asked him how much he would charge me, and he said $60. With more time I bet I could get it down. What ever you do do NOT buy from "The Gun Room" in Elk Grove CA. Just to give you an idea, they were going to charge me $32 for 1-10 round mag for my G22 :rofl:

8. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Given what you described; I would check and declare the gun (in a legal FAA container) in my luggage when I flew home.

I would then go to the California DOJ website and get the forms for registering your pistols when you move into the state. Fill out the forms and enclose your fees ($15 IIRC) and perhaps enclose a cover letter explaining that while you perhaps have lived in California a for XYZ months or years, you are only now importing this particular pistol from your other home in Arizona.

I am assuming you "live" :thumbsup: in both states, correct? :supergrin: Who is to say you can't own and keep guns in both states? (Do your parents or another relative still have a home/property there?)

California is so screwy, if I spend any significant amount of time living and working here, I am supposed to have a California Drivers license, vehicles registered with DMV etc, even it if I spent 60% of my time living in another state. So given that, who is California to tell me I can't bring back a California legal gun I obtained legally in another state of residence?

Point of fact, personally I do own property in two states, and have guns in both states, and have moved guns back and forth for both temporary and permanent purposes.

9. Juliet Lima

Juliet Lima Hawaiian Guy

Thanks everyone for your points of view and info. I think I"m really gonna try it. I'll let you guys know what happens.

JL

10. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

I like the advice that Cali-Glock gave you.

My second point is also that with all of this hassle, what gun exactly is it that you want to buy in AZ? Is it something you absolutely can't get here in CA????

If it's something that is relatively easily obtained here, how much money are you truely saving by buying it in AZ????

I think for all the hassle, travel expense and other stuff I originally mentioned, you might as well go find a gun dealer in CA and buy it here.

Please let us know. I'm really excited to know what this special gun is that you want in AZ.....

I'm like you, I wish I could go buy some more assault weapons like the other states, but CA won't let me.

11. Juliet Lima

Juliet Lima Hawaiian Guy

Nothing really special. I haven't even looked into the fact that this isn't even allowed in Calif. I guess I should find that out first. I was thinking of getting a Benelli M4 tactical shotgun. It runs $1495.

[​IMG]

I'm just kidding. I'm actually just looking to get a normal ole G36.

12. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Juliet Lima, I suggest that you do not try and buy ANY firearm from another state. Since you are now a California resident, you must abide by California laws. In addition to this, if you were to try and purchase a firearm in Arizona and you fill out the ATF 4473 form, you will be committing a federal crime by placing your Arizona address as being your place of residency, which in fact is not your current residence.

13. Juliet Lima

Juliet Lima Hawaiian Guy

I've knocked some sense back into myself after reading your post. I've scrapped the whole idea. It's just not worth it. Thanks Mekavaboy for smacking sense into me.