Leg pain from running.. stretching issues?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Feb 24, 2010.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Hey all,

I've been running in the campus rec center 3 days a week, and only run about 2 miles per visit. My legs are constantlysore. it feels a sharper kind of pair than just achy over tired muscles.. if I would have to imagine, id guess like i had ripped muscle or something.. it is mid height on my calfs( i do have slight shin soreness too)

I did just buy new running shoes last week, as my old ones were worn to pieces. Seemed to help cushion the impact of running, and helped a little bit.

Does it sound like I'm not stretching correctly/enough? it does take 15 mins to walk to the track, so I do arrive warmed up.

I have never been able to touch my feet..
    I'm just not "naturally flexible" if there is such a thing.. and at times, i've worked at it but never made it very far. Maybe I need to work on this?

Do you have a handful of goto stretches that will limber up everything?

or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I know somewhere there is a bodybuilding/workout forum, but I couldn't find it, and figured there wouldn't be many people there anyway..

what say all you marathon runners and pros?

:dunno:

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

how long have you been at running?

3. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Sorry can't give you specific advice on the pain. But I would warn you not to get seriously injured.

To help on the flexibility you can get better which might help the pain issue. Try yoga. I have started it somewhat recently and can tell a difference in my flexibility, it's not as easy as it looks.

4. flyerI

flyerI

I'm certainly no marathon runner but have started running about a mile or a little more a couple times a week along with my workouts. I am 52 and haven't run since college so you can imagine the soreness. I usually walk a lap or two prior to running and a half mile after i run. My mile is 10-11 minutes to give you an idea of speed. Laps are 1/16 mile. Then I get in the whirlpool for 5-10 min afterwards and then swim a few laps as more of a cool down than anything else. If I skip the whirlpool I am sore the next day and have some discomfort in two days when I start again. If you are running on a treadmill you might want to try the track. The treadmill really hurts my calves, knees, and shins.

5. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Hard to diagnose without seeing you. If there is a runners store in your area (NOT a big box store, a runners store. I would look under "triathlete training/supply" etc.)

Ask them to watch your stride. Most will have a treadmill in the store to watch your stride and recommend what TYPE of running shoes you need.

Walking will warm you up, but you need some good stretches. Some I like are:

1. Walking lunges, just to get the blood flowing.
    2. Downward dog (from yoga) to stretch the calves (push heels toward the ground)
    3. Quad stretch (keep your knees together)
    4. Hamstring stretch. Keep your back straight and bend at the waist. A lot of people reach for their toes, but I find keeping your back straight gives you a deeper stretch.
    5. I would also take a belt or rope and put it on the pad of your foot and pull your toes back toward your shin.

Remember, stretching AFTER your run is just as important. If it's cold and you are running a couple of miles then walking home, you're going to cool down and get stiff if you aren't careful.

If it doesn't subside, get it checked out.

<--- not a pro: have run a couple of half-marathons, and a couple of duathlons.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. geofri

on and off over the past 4 years.. but more specifically, Ive been running for about a month (beforehand I hadn't run for maybe 2-3 months).

7. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Buy a Lazy boy recliner and a case of beer.
    Call me in the morning.

8. hatidua

hatidua

-how much do you weigh (over or under 150#)?

9. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Skip the beer and get a bottle of Anejo. Thank me tomorrow.

10. rahrah12

rahrah12

are you running on a treadmil?

11. geofri

:supergrin:

12. geofri

no, indoor rubber track.. once the weather is nice, i think i'm going to take it to the dirt.. i hate running indoors(round and round a circle, in stale air..)

I weigh about 175, and am 6'. Ive put on some decent layer of winter blubber over the past school year:thumbsup:

13. geofri

Thanks! ill google all those moves, and give them a try!

14. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

That reminds me of a joke.
    Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do that.
    Doctor: Don’t do that.

I jogged long distances for 13 years and developed similar pain. I stopped running, but the pain in my shins did not completely disappear for five years.

I suggest going beyond the regular runner’s stretches. If you are just doing those, you’re not stretching all of your muscles. A good yoga book will offer additional stretches that will put your body in shape.

One stretch that really helped me is the stretch squat. I learned this from my wife. She comes from one of those countries where the people “sit” on their haunches for very long periods. Squat down like a baseball catcher, but put your feet completely flat on the floor. If you can’t do it at first, then lean against a wall. You should feel it in the front of your ankles and calves. It took me several months to master that one. A good squat stretch will have your thighs parallel to the floor. That stretch did so much good for my shins and back.

I think running is one of the worst exercises. The pounding is hard on your body, even if you run on grass. Your legs barely get off the ground, so it is inefficient. Unless you’re running backwards like basketball players, you are not exercising your hamstrings.

There are so many good alternatives that running is unnecessary. The substitutes I use for running are walking up steep hills, walking very fast up and down stairs, swimming, bike riding, and just plain walking. The steep hills, staircases, and swimming will rev up your heart just as much as running, but you won’t have that hard impact.

15. geofri

:upeyes: thats what my mom said....

:supergrin:

but really, i have been considering it.. maybe ill youtube some demo videos..

16. geofri

:rofl:
    smart doctor.

This pain has had me thinking about taking a break from running and trying the bicycle machines and or swimming..

ill have to try that squat stretch

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  17. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Yoga has to be experienced to be believed. I've run half marathons, done duathlons, played club level soccer, wrestled in HS and studied and taught brazilian jiu-jitsu. Me and cardio are friends. ;)

Two things that blindsided me and kicked my butt:

1. Yoga
    2. "Spin" class