close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Leg of Lamb, bone in--recipies?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by MrsKitty, Apr 12, 2004.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I picked up a leg of lamb on sale. I fixed one a few years ago and must've goofed because it came out nasty:(

I am looking for recipies either for the oven or grill.

Anybody know any good ones?

2. moeman

moeman

my suggestion is to:

1. trim all of the outer fat.

2. score the outside w/ 1/4" deep criss-crosses-- this will give more surface area for the spices and juices later on.

3. poke a small tipped knife into the leg in a bunch of places. after each poke, insert a small clove (or a cut clove sliver) of garlic and one blade of fresh rosemary.

4. rub salt and pepper all over the outside.

5. Place in a roasting pan,cut a lemon into thin slices and place on top of the leg. At the end throw away the lemon.

6. Cook: in a pre-heated oven at 450 for 20 minutes then cook at 325 for 20 minutes per pound.

7. Basting: use 1 1/2 cups of red wine, a little fresh rosemary and one lemon squeezed in, basting every 20 minutes, use a little at first then after 60 minutes baste w/ the drippings from the meat and the wine mixture that has run into the pan.

8. Check doneness. When done, let it sit 20 minutes before carving and baste the cut pieces with the juices/wine mixture.

9. Enjoy!

3. Penman

Penman Goauche User

I like to mix up a paste of olive oil, Italian seasoning, and granulated garlic. Brush this over the whole leg, salt liberally, and roast. Save the bone and trimmings for Scotch broth.

4. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

I just made one for Easter.

Trim all visible fat and make several incisions in the meat.
    Slice a couple of garlic cloves and insert slices into incisions.
    Rub entire leg with good quality whole grain or dijon mustard and chopped fresh thyme and rosemary. Grated lemon zest is optional.
    Place in 500 degree oven for 10 minutes; reduce to 375 and cook until thermometer reads about 135. Let rest 20 minutes.

5. noway

noway

Leg of Lamb , bone-in

Good luck. Leg of lamb is one of the hardest meats to cook real good. I myself like lamb chops. Much easier and simpler.

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa