close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lefties shooting right-handed AR's

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by J. Parker, Jan 10, 2011.

1. J. Parker

J. Parker

Are there any lefties shooting right-handed AR's? Any problems to think about?

~Thanks, John

2. Captains1911

Captains1911

Well, I'm a rightie and have shot a buddies leftie AR several times, no problem at all. IMO leftie ARs are a gimmick.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat

Im a lefty and have been shooting right handed since I picked up a firearm over 25+ years ago.

4. MisterPX

MisterPX Guest

Not a lefty, but shoot left handed about 25% of the time. No issues, except when you're rollover prone and the brass lands on your neck. ;)

5. Hedo1

Hedo1

I'm a leftie and own and shoot right hand AR's. No issues.

They're set up backwards as far as I'm concerned :) but nothing you don't get used to.

6. BBJones

BBJones

I am RH but shoot long guns LH (left eye dominant and like to keep both eyes open) including AR's. No problems what-so-ever. You may want to get an ambi-mag release (Troy industries is my preference), and ambi-charging handle (I don't use one so no recommendations, but might in future). I prefer ambi-safteys so I would use one no matter if I was LH or RH.

I would not recommend anyone getting a LH AR. There is no point and you limit yourself in parts.

7. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

Yeah no problems for me either. Just practice the operation of it and you should be fine. I'd say it's about as easy for a lefty to operate as it is a righty.

8. Jon_R

Jon_R

Lefty shooting normal ARs for a while.

The only thing I change on them is I like the colt safety and put the lever on the right hand side so I can run it with my left thumb. The colt safety is cut so you can put it on either side.

I might try an ambi charging handle to see if I like it otherwise the rest is just standard setup.

9. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

I shoot a right handed Colt left handed and the only problem I've encountered was the hot brass hitting me in the face or going down the back of my shirt. I solved that problem by buying a brass deflector from Brownells. It was cheap and fits onto the flat top. Since then no issues. Everything else I just practiced and trained so it's not an issue.

10. raven11

raven11

I'm a lefty and shoot right handed AR's with no problem

11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I'm a righty, but i've shot M16s and M4's left handed when necessary. Except in some very extreme shooting positions, nothing to worry about. That case deflector is there for a reason.

12. vafish

vafish

My son is left handed, he has not problems at all shooting AR15's and AK47's left handed.

13. KK40384

KK40384

I've noticed only one issue with a lefty (a friend of mine) shooting my AR this weekend. When he was shooting with the stock fully collapsed with a hat on, it would occasionally catch spent brass and smack him in the forehead. Happened once or twice a mag. Once he took his hat off he was good to go.

14. southpaw45

southpaw45

Im a lefty and I shoot a right handed ARs all the time. Never had any problems and never caught any brass in the face. It works so good for me that I thought they were designed for us southpaws. The only think I changed was to install an ambu saftey and charging handle latch..

15. CAcop

CAcop

No problems for me. Ambi selector is nice but not mandatory. Ambi mag relase would be good for tac reloads. I suppose ambi charging handle would be nice too.

As it is with work the only thing they allow us lefties is an ambi selector and sometimes those aren't available so I just use a right handed gun.

16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

As long as the upper receiver has the brass deflector "bump" (highlighted in green, below), then you'll be good-to-go. Some older ARs (Colt SP-1s and other retro models) and thick-walled-upper-receiver varmint-style ARs don't have the brass deflector; if those are shot lefty, then the shooter may get some hot brass in the face.

[​IMG]

Add-on brass deflectors are available, or you can use a brass catcher that covers the ejection port and traps the empty cases in a bag or box.

17. AFPD118

AFPD118 NRA Memeber CLM

Lefty i have shoot righty ARs sense my Army days, no problems. Both my Stags are right handed, hard to sell lefty guns, and not sure i would like one anyway :)

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

I've taught several people, and dozens of soldiers to shoot left handed.

Its a non issue, as long as you've got a brass deflector.

19. drizzle

drizzle

Anyone have a link to a LH charging handle?

20. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM