Lefthanded shooter

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TexGlocker, Jan 16, 2010.

1. TexGlocker

TexGlocker

I am left handed and was wondering what other left handed shooters would recommend. Would you recommend buying the extended slide release and extend mag release? I am trying to decide between a glock 19 and xd9. :help:

2. BOSS302

BOSS302 Pain is tempora

I use my middle finger to release the magazine, and sling-shot method for releasing the slide.

3. Workin

Workin

Same techniques here.. Except I use my index finger for mag release.. Too bad there's not lef handed glocks lol

4. Apothecurious

Apothecurious Pharmacist

Left shooter here as well.

I use my middle finger for the mag release and my index for the slide release. The only modification I made to my gun was to use the extended slide release. It made it much easier to use than with the stock flat one. Other than that I see no reason to mod anything else.

As a left-handed shooter I think its pretty important to learn how to shoot righthanded guns as they are pretty much the norm.

5. cantuckee

cantuckee

have you looked at the M&P, ambi everything

6. BOSS302

BOSS302 Pain is tempora

I look at left-handed specific weapons as a hinderance in most situations. We live in a RH world, and as such, 9/10 weapons are designed for right handed shooters. I would like to have the muscle memory to be able to pick up a RH weapon and use it proficiently.

7. kgain673

kgain673

there is no slide release on the older glocks, it's only a slide lock.

8. dorkweed

dorkweed

I'm ambidextrous, but shoot left handed because I'm left eye dominant. I use my index finger for both the mag release and the slide lock. No problems here.

Mr. Boss302, I hear you about a right handed world. I grew up shooting "right handed" long guns (shotgun and rifle); but you don't know how nice it is to shoot a gun the acually made for a lefty. My lefty Benelli SBE that I use for waterfowl and upland hunting improved my shooting tremendously. It's almost part of me now!!!

9. BOSS302

BOSS302 Pain is tempora

You got me there. I've got a LH 870, and I would not want to hunt or shoot skeet without it. It's nice not having all that crap ejected into your face.

I don't have any problems with ARs or other rifles though.

10. TH237

TH237

I am assuming you are calling the slide stop a slide release. If you dont mind me asking, where did you see one like this?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  11. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Neither is necessary for a lefty to manipulate a glock as fast or faster than a righthander. One of the reason I became interested in glocks in the first place. An extended slide stop is fine as long as you don't hit it when you don't want to. Many (particularly novices) find that an extended mag release causes them to drop magazines when they don't mean to. Good luck whatever you choose.

12. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

Watch the video in my sig. Anyone can tell you that the Glock can be run quickly by a lefty... It's tougher to actually *DO* it.

The extended mag catch may or may not be needed. I run one. They're cheap. Buy one, and leave it out if you don't like it. Righty or lefty, everyone should sand down the front corners of the mag release just a bit, so they aren't razor sharp.

For a lefty, the extended slide stop should be mandatory:

1. As the gun goes empty, depress the mag release with your strong hand - I use the first knuckle on my ring finger rolled up the grip, others use their trigger finger.
    2. While drawing and feeding a fresh magazine to the gun, move your trigger finger up over the slide release and press it against the slide. Trigger finger's first knuckle resting slightly against the top/rear of the slide release.
    3. When you seat the magazine, you will bump the gun upward into the knuckle of your trigger finger. Seating the magazine and running the slide forward are now nearly simultaneous... and there's no need to beat the tar out of the gun to get the slide to run forward every single time.

(I'm shooting an M&P in competition now, and loving the increased consistency from the truly left-handed controls.)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  13. tbyron

tbyron

I'm a left handed shooter with a G19. I've spent some time practicing right handed, and have become comfortable shooting both ways.

For me, somwone will likely disagree, it's easier to reach the magazine release left handed. I'll, more times than not, use my index finger to release the magazine since I have to take it off the trigger anyway.

I usually don't use the slide stop/release when reloading. I'll do it manually with my support hand. This is usually the case if I'm shooting left or right handed.

With regards to the XD9, I've shot the XD and XDM versions. While they are great guns, I would take my Glock over it anyday. I considered it when I was looking to purchase a handgun, and it just didn't feel as great in my hand as the G19. But your experience may be different.

Hope this helps with you decision.

14. Reswob

Reswob

My uncle (who is a lefty) has an extended slide release on his G19. Not sure what brand, it is larger then the GLOCK ext. release. I have shot his gun left handed a couple of times, and the larger slide release is MUCH easier to hit with your index finger. The stock mag release is easy enough to hit with your middle finger w/o needing a larger one.

15. AZson

AZson

Lefty here also, I had a extended on my G27 until it started snagging on my holster. Took a drumel tool to it and rounded it off.

16. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Precisely. Neither is necessary for a trained shooter. The glock OEM extended slide stop is more likely to be beneficial than the mag release, but might be something to look at for the OP. Inexpensive.

17. wiskeyVI

wiskeyVI

Good info here. I'm looking at a shoulder surgery this year and will have to carry off hand. This thread is right on time.

18. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

This is what I do. I tried working the mag release on an XD and it was HARD to work. With a little practice, it's second nature.

19. fodder1

fodder1 Just a Member

This is exactly how I do it. Normally, the process of seating a new mag will force pressure from my index finger onto the slide lock, releasing it. This creates a very fast mag change.