close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Left thumb

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 40blaster, Sep 21, 2003.

1. 40blaster

40blaster

Just wondering how others shoot. Do you hold your left thumb against the gun or do you let it float free, pointing at the target? I have noticed I shoot quicker with my thumb against the gun but more accurately if I let my thumb float away from the gun. So, I shoot the plates with my thumb against the gun and the paper stages with it floating. Any thoughts?

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

All right Fred, you're thinking and you know what happens when you think about your shooting! ;f

I let my thumbs float with the stock gun, touch the frame (actually the scope mount) with the U/L.

3. GJM89

GJM89

Oh my goodness, thinking about your shooting is as bad as practicing before a match, Hmmmmmmm, U/L gun, left thumb on Carver Mount right thumb on top of left, Stock gun , left thumb on frame pointing at target right thumb on top of left.:cool: :cool: :cool:

4. 40blaster

40blaster

So, FG. You use different thumb positions but didn't say why.
    By the way, did you notice how heavy the steel poppers were set at Statesville? I wonder if it's a red shirted, concerted effort, to weed out us low PF shooters? We need a callibration section in the rules because one red shirt shot a popper and it didn't fall so he gave my competitor a hit. HMMMMM. I thought steel had to fall to count. Period.

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Actually I didn't notice Fred, I was dealing with a reluctant U/L gun. There has been some question on power factor and plates, they're supposed to fall with a low hit from factory 9mm, 115 gr if I remember correctly. Poppers are a little more ambiguous. I use slow 147s and I can't say I've had any problems with things falling. 147s at around 880 fps seems to work well.

On the thumbs thing, I keep my thumbs clear of the slide on the stock gun so as to avoid a case of magic thumb, you know dragging the slide. With the U/L I have the scope mount to keep them clear of the slide so I can keep them tight.

6. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

;P case of the magic thumb. I seem to have one of those.;f During the off season I changed my grip and had the tendency to let the magic happen.;e

Pharaoh

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I just pick up that little plastic dude, point and pull. ;f ;f ;f My scores look like it don't they.

Seriously, on my stock gun I place my right thumb against the receiver pointing towards the target and my left thumb over my right thumb pointing towards the target. On my U/L gun I do the same except my right thumb is resting on the leg of the "Carver" mount. Since I don't have an "A" Class win----YET you may not want to copy my advice but it was the way I was taught and its comfortable. I don't think my scores are a result of my grip and I feel a big score change a comming.;Y ;Y ;Y

8. EMillen

EMillen Millennium Member

I was practicing recently with a good coach watching me.
    Right handed, I always placed my left thumb over my right when I obtained my 2 handed grip. She noticed that everytime the timer went off, I would move my left thumb forward & down as I raised the gun. Hmmm... Why not start with it that way? Duh. Two thumbs pointing forward, pressure down (not into the side of the frame). Immediate feedback and improvement.
    It's always good to "recalibrate" the poppers during the match. What was good on Friday night will change after a few shooters have shot the course and change alot by Sunday. But, I had no problem with the poppers at Statesville (Sat. PM, factory loads).

9. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

I have posted about this so many times ...

I'll just say this:

Keep your darn thumbs off the gun!!! Point them straight at the target.