Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been shooting Glocks in competition for 4 plus years and enoyed it a lot. My last comp gun was a customized 17 by zev and it was great. I enjoyed beating guys with STI, Infinities and other fancy guns. But, i got bored with it.

So, i got an STI Apeiro in 9mm. Wow, what a difference from the 17. Size, feel, safety, trigger. Had it for abput 4 months now so i figured to do some reflections. Obviously everything below is subjective and just my opinion.

Accuracy

Much better than glock. Much. Where i imagine a hole on target, thats where one will be. Outstanding. Btw i reload, and i did not change the set up at all. Same bullets as before. I really like the easy of adjustable rear sight. My glock has TTI sights and i love those.

Speed

My times got worse with the STI until i got more practice so its coming back. But still feel i can shoot the glock faster. Even though sti is much heaver, the perceived splits seem faster and more accurate. I need to find a way to measure with a timer for more objective data. I definitely have longer time to first shot. Whether its the safety or something else, i was faster from holster with 17. I think i was just a lot more comfortable it.

Maintenance

17 wins this one easily. I dislike cleaning guns and STI is a pain to do. Plus i had liitle bit of pride knowing the glock was almost never clean but ran like a champ. The complexity of 2011 is a turn off and miss the glock simplicity.

Mags

Initially i missed the cheap reliable, rust free mags that glocks use. But now, i find quicker reloads with sti. But at $60 each, and wondering if it will work or not, another + in glock column

Looks

I love the Zev look but Apeiro is just gorgeous. While i was proud of my glocks holster wear, i find Sti scratches to hurt a bit more. Oh well, its a tool. Ppl definitely notice this gun on my hip.

Price

With all the dough i put into 17, the sti is not outrageously more expensive. Another + in GLOCK column but not by much.

Conclusion

I dont miss the glock as much as i thought i would. Not because STI is so much better, but its a new challenge for me to learn and get better. I know this is apples v oranges comparison but one i have been thinking about and reading about for years. I continue to identify myself as glock fan boy for sure. If i aproched this analysis from a practical perspective, glock would be a clear winner. But my heart is with the STI for now. Maybe the novely will wear off..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to add this:

Trigger

With lightweight ultimate Zev trigger kit, and when shooting a stage, i dont notice a real difference between two guns. A difference is more noticable during slow, focused fire. This one is a draw.

·
Just sayin'
4,642 Posts
Great write up. The STI looks mighty nice. But the Glock is something I wouldn't mind banging around without a worry of getting a scratch.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Glad your happy. I went the opposite direction and owned 20 different hand guns before ever buying a Glock. Now Glocks are 90% of my collection and I have no regrets either.

·
Premium Member
22,868 Posts
Nice write up. It shows we all perceive things differently. I actually shoot both an STI and GLOCK in competition, moving back and forth between the two. However, I use the GLOCK for production division, and the STI for Limited / Limited-10 and now three gun.

The one area I would greatly differ with you, and of course it's our own experiences, is the accuracy perspective. I know if I have to take a head shot at 18 yards over a no shoot (like I did the weekend before last at a two gun match), give me my STI any day of the week. (I had to reshoot the stage because they forgot to record the time, and I nailed it with both runs). The accuracy difference was so great, for me, that I switched from using my G34 in 3-gun to my STI, even though I give up 2-3 rounds (my STI being a .40).

Another aspect about the STI that in your example is not relative, is when dealing with major power factor. I tried shooting a G35 in Limited major, and the recoil just wore me out, where the big heavy STI is a non issue.

Appreciate the well done comparison. :thumbsup: It's always good to see how others experience things, even if it's different than your own.

By the way, that STI Apeiro is stunning. No a lot of STI 2011 fans on this board, but it's certainly my favorite range platform. Best of luck with it. Perhaps once you have the same time into it that you did with that GLOCK, you can revisit the comparison.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You know you should not mix alchopowder and gunohol.

You have been shooting a Glock and out-shooting the guys with expensive guns but you are bored with that.

So you replaced the Glock with something more expensive and more accurate.

Got so I don't know what to believe.

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice write up. It shows we all perceive things differently. I actually shoot both an STI and GLOCK in competition, moving back and forth between the two. However, I use the GLOCK for production division, and the STI for Limited / Limited-10 and now three gun.

The one area I would greatly differ with you, and of course it's our own experiences, is the accuracy perspective. I know if I have to take a head shot at 18 yards over a no shoot (like I did the weekend before last at a two gun match), give me my STI any day of the week. (I had to reshoot the stage because they forgot to record the time, and I nailed it with both runs). The accuracy difference was so great, for me, that I switched from using my G34 in 3-gun to my STI, even though I give up 2-3 rounds (my STI being a .40).

Another aspect about the STI that in your example is not relative, is when dealing with major power factor. I tried shooting a G35 in Limited major, and the recoil just wore me out, where the big heavy STI is a non issue.

Appreciate the well done comparison. :thumbsup: It's always good to see how others experience things, even if it's different than your own.

By the way, that STI Apeiro is stunning. No a lot of STI 2011 fans on this board, but it's certainly my favorite range platform. Best of luck with it. Perhaps once you have the same time into it that you did with that GLOCK, you can revisit the comparison.

:cheers:
BuckyP, we actually agree on the accuracy. My post was confusing but i find the STI to be much more accurate than glock. That Schumann barrel is awesome. I dont find any benefit of that island barrel set up however but that is probably me blinking. But looks cool!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great write up. I have an STI spartan in 9mm I used to shoot in matches. Great gun. Now I shoot my glocks, CZ's SIG's and am really into HK's at the moment. Most important is that you are having fun. When you guys say "accuracy" do you mean it's easier to shoot the STI accurately? If you benched both guns I would think the accuracy would be pretty similar out to 25 yards or so, no? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
20,076 Posts
If i aproched this analysis from a practical perspective, glock would be a clear winner. But my heart is with the STI for now. Maybe the novely will wear off..
I bought my first 1911(a Springfield Armory OEM) in 1987. I bought my first Glock (Gen 2, G21) in 1994. Since then, I have traded back and forth on which one is my favorite a number of times. I now own five Glocks and three 1911s. Every time I think I have a clear preference, I'll take a Glock and a 1911 to the range at the same time and realize they both shoot great groups.
It's one of life's few dilemmas that I actually enjoy.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
All this thread did was make me want to buy another gun. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.