Left-handed Glock 19?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by srg, Jul 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. srg

srg

What can I do to make my new G19 more left-handed? Can the magazine release and the slide lock be made left-handed?

Thanks;

srg

2. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Nope.

GLOCK is beginning to make some models available with an ambi mag catch as an option.

3. 40 Lefty

40 Lefty

I shoot IDPA with a G34. I find that I can use my trigger finger to release the magazine. The extended slide stop/release lets me seat a magazine with my right hand palm near the wrist, then I use the middle finger of the right hand to release the slide by reaching across the back of my left hand.

It took some practice, but it is much faster than a sling shot slide release and is close to 100% reliable. With enough practice it should be 100%. You may find the index finger falls on the release better. We are all built differently.

I do not believe that you need the extended magazine release. It may help, but it ground my middle left finger practically raw. I had to radius the forward bottom corner with an Xacto.

It would be very difficult to modify a Glock for a left handed slide release. The prototype parts would be expensive and extensive testing would be required to prove reliability.

Trust me, I have thought about this long and hard. It is not easy.

4. srg

srg

Thanks Lefty, I'll give it a try.

srg

5. VN350X10

VN350X10

Like the USMC DI said:

"That Rifle goes on your RIGHT shoulder MAGGOT"

:usmc: :drillsgt: :usmc:

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Have you ever seen a left handed revolver?

7. VN350X10

VN350X10

Sure have Danny, just about any Single action revolver is a left handed weapon. Sam Colt was left handed !
    There was an outfit a few years back that made RIGHT handed single actions. They were based in Texas I believe. The loading gate was on the opposite side & the cyl rotation was counter-clockwise.

If you don't believe me, just think of HOW a single action is loaded. If it's in your left hand, you don't remove it from the shooting hand to reload !

uncle albert

8. Habu

Habu

There's no reason you can't train yourself to operate the pistol efficiently with that left hand. I know, because I shoot with either hand. It's just a matter of muscle-memory.:thumbsup:

9. Seafarer12

Seafarer12

Yes I have. Charter arms makes a southpaw model.
    I just use my trigger finger to actuate the mag release or slide release.

10. David9966

David9966 Bumpstick

Talk to the folks at Caspian. I saw a southpaw 1911 they made once.:thumbsup:

11. VN350X10

VN350X10

If you could find one & pry it away from a collector, Randall Firearms made a true, mirror image, left hand 1911 in stainless. Even the mags are opposite.
    These command a rather hefty price on the collectors market, there are folks that collect Randall's, as there are MANY variants. Just not a whole lot of any one type was made.
    They were the first stainless 1911, & they worked because of Randall's expertiese in metalurgy. Their real product line is oil field drill bits.
    They discontinued firearms production in about 1986 or so.

uncle albert

12. mballai

mballai

Ambidextrous mag release from Cylinder and Slide(available from Brownells). Works great.
    Ideally someone would make a slide release that would be on the right side of the gun, but that hasn't happened. It's easier to just add some ladder tape to the top of the slide and give the slide a tug to chamber a new mag's rounds.