Lee's New Safety Prime

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Russ Not the Mod, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

The newest rendition of their safety prime is way better than the second version. I have had to pull the handle and stop what I'm doing to guide the primer in with both hands ever so gently and click it in place until now.

The new one is the cats meow. Definitely increased production time. I can zip right thru the resize, deprime and prime pretty much instantly. A great improvement IMHO.

I know some of y'all knock Lee stuff, but it works fine for my needs and productivity.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  2. Dave.1

Dave.1

I've got the triangle shaped one now. Works well for me and didn't require any shims like the round one, just proper alignment.

I had heard that there was a newer triangular generation made to work better with the new Auto Breech Lock, but I don't really know for sure since Lee seems to keep the same number for these products and just upgrade them. Is that what you have?

Dave

3. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I gave up with whichever one I bought 10 or so years ago with my LCT. I just use my fingers, but if I could find one set-up that actually worked - heck...even if it was just 75% of the time - I'd be down with it.

4. Dave.1

Dave.1

Here's a link to Lee Support that shows the newer version (2017) of the Safety Prime. Looks the same to me but this is part of what they say.
    http://leeprecision.net/support/ind.../safety-prime-use-on-the-auto-breech-lock-pro

"We changed the design of our Safety Prime in June 2017. The new design provides better contact between the Safety Prime trigger and the primer cup. We recommend using the new design with the Auto Breech Lock Pro. The previous Safety Prime versions may not work as reliably as the new design."

Dave

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Will it work with the LCT?
    Anyone know?

6. Dave.1

Dave.1

I haven't heard any complaints from LCT users. This info has come from threads on The High Road. They have a couple of Breech Lock Pro threads. One Technical,
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...nical-support-thread-no-bashing.835405/page-2

And one "Unboxing" which has drifted a bit.
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...pro-user-review-discussion-no-bashing.835426/

Both threads have slowed down, so I'm guessing problems with the system have too.
    Since the Safety Prime part numbers remain the same, I doubt they would be shipping different models with different machines. So, I'd figure they would work with the LCT.

Dave

7. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Thanks. I'll get on the "exchange" boat if I can find the old one w/parts.

8. jmorris

jmorris

From your first paragraph it looks like you are in the club too.

9. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

I haven't had any problems with my old round one on my turret. I haven't felt the need to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MO Fugga and Uncle Don like this.
  10. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

Yes. That's what I'm using it on. Amazon has it in stock now

11. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Me either, just lucky I guess, but the round ones just keep clicking along and I've been using them (4, one for each type) since 2006 when I got the LCT.

FlyfishermanMike likes this.
  12. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

My new one (white triangular version) just arrived yesterday. I did the kid-with-a-new-toy thing and installed it on my LCT and messed with it last night after work. I consider it a notable improvement. Being able to load a full box of primers from the tray is nice, but the new one just works better, too. I always considered the primer feed to be the weakest part of my LCT setup, because the old black round one would stick and require an extra jab or two to work between 10 and 20 percent of the time. The new one works smoothly. I have a sample size of one each, but I am happy with the change.

13. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Would you kindly clear something up for me, please? Can you use the same attachment you had with the round one - the one it hangs/swings on?

Thanks.

14. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

While i haven't tried the round one on the breech lock, it probably would work, but not as well as the one designed for it. That one would have the right height and also has "rails" on it that help guide it to the primer arm.

I use the round ones without any problem on the LCT but just use the one made for it on the Breech Lock Auto. I'll give it a try next batch and if you don't already have an answer, I'll let you know.

15. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Thanks.

16. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Nope, it comes with a new hanger, also white, and feeders for large and small primers. On the LTC, it is just removing one bolt, switching the hangers, and replacing the bolt.

17. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I sure hope so. I could swear I read in the description when I ordered them (should be here tomorrow) that you needed an extra part to set it on the LTC.

Thanks.

18. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

I'm still using the old round one. I like to live dangerously I guess. (I only use CCI primers though).

FlyfishermanMike likes this.
  19. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Maybe you are thinking about the riser for the powder dispenser. They mention that in all the descriptions. But if you already have the old version, you are bound to already have the riser, too. Install was easy. Just be aware that the thick washer that goes below the hanger on the black one doesn't go with the white one. You'll be fine.

20. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Thanks.