close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lee quick trim dies and power trimmer

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Russ P, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Russ P

Russ P

I ordered the Lee Classic Turret Press yesterday and I was wondering what the consensus on this case trimmer was. My immediate needs are for 7.62 x 39. I have new Winchester cases from a horse trade and some once fired PPU brass.

Taking a few random measurements, the Winchester cases are pretty much all dead on. The once fired brass is all about .010 to .015 shorter. It seems as though all things considered I should trim them to all within .005 anyway.

I got the Lee Factory Crimp Die with my die set and it seems the crimp length should be fairly close to get uniformity out of my reloads.

I know there are better case trimmers out there to get within .001 but do I need that? I just want an accurate load out of my Mini 30 for still hunting deer and sighting in rounds all the same. I will probably use the exact same loads for just shooting and plinking anyway.

My bullet of choice so far is the 123g Hornady SST and I got some 125g Sierra Pro Hunter Spitzers I will use up too.

What say ye?

Russ P

2. dkf

dkf

Have a deluxe quick trim and don't use it anymore. It held OAL well for around 400 .223 cases and then it started to go downhill fast. Stopped using it after around 800 cases because it was basically useless. It depending on floating spring steel blades to cut and chamfer the brass. It stopped doing anything to deburr the outside of the cases after about 500 cases, barely touched the ID burrs. Oh and it needs to be cleaned regularly and adding a drop of oil on the blades helps it cut better but makes more of a mess. In other words don't waste your time. I had high hopes when I first saw it but Lee missed the boat. I think I could probably get it to cut consistant if I remove the spring steel blades, machine the adapter and machine a new length adjustment collar but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

The regular lee case length pilots and cutting stud for the power drill works much better and will hold oal much better. Lee has offered those for years. Or spend the money on a Little Crow WFT trimmer.

happie2shoot likes this.

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

This,it's one decision I've not regretted. SJ 40

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

5. Russ P

Russ P

Aww shoot Slayer, I just ordered the other stuff yesterday. Not a lot of people commented so I just took the dive. I am hoping to keep my cutters sharp and maybe I'll be ok.

I saw a video of that set up yesterday and it looked good.

Russ P
    Central NY native

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.