Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
A smart business man. The Mustang and Caravan, both category creators.
I didn’t realize that he was at the helm when the Dodge Caravan came out. Cool.

I’m in negotiations right now to buy another one.

R.I.P. Lee Iococca

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
A true icon in industry doesn't come along very often but when they do their innovation and results far surpass the time they spent at the helm.

RIP Mr. Iacocca.

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
I think the UAW hated him.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
exerpts from this article:https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1989-10-07-8902030384-story.html

"In fact, Iacocca was certain he didn't want one (air bags) in his or any car he made. In 1971, he and Henry Ford II (then the top executives at the Ford Motor Co.) met secretly with President Nixon to persuade him to kill a pending Department of Transportation regulation requiring air bags in every new car sold in the United States."

As disclosed a decade later in one of Nixon's Oval Office tapes, Iacocca argued the economic dangers of air bags, even bad-mouthing shoulder harnesses and headrests as "complete wastes of money." The regulations were quashed.

then he did a 180, and bragged about being first to put air bags in all of Chrysler's cars!

Four years later, Iacocca made a U-turn. Announcing a year ago in June that Chrysler would install air bags in all its 1990 models, he said in a newspaper ad: "You can teach an old dog new tricks... You won't hear any more beefs about air bags from me."

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
exerpts from this article:https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1989-10-07-8902030384-story.html

"In fact, Iacocca was certain he didn't want one (air bags) in his or any car he made. In 1971, he and Henry Ford II (then the top executives at the Ford Motor Co.) met secretly with President Nixon to persuade him to kill a pending Department of Transportation regulation requiring air bags in every new car sold in the United States."

As disclosed a decade later in one of Nixon's Oval Office tapes, Iacocca argued the economic dangers of air bags, even bad-mouthing shoulder harnesses and headrests as "complete wastes of money." The regulations were quashed.

then he did a 180, and bragged about being first to put air bags in all of Chrysler's cars!

Four years later, Iacocca made a U-turn. Announcing a year ago in June that Chrysler would install air bags in all its 1990 models, he said in a newspaper ad: "You can teach an old dog new tricks... You won't hear any more beefs about air bags from me."

I think it was Churchill who said, “consistency is the bane of great minds”, or something to that effect. Pretty hard to find anyone who did anything impactful who didn’t change their mind once in a while, actually it is a critical trait in a great leader.

·
1911 lover
10,153 Posts
Rest in peace.. the mustang was a great thing to create.. i remember the K car drival about the k car is so high quality were sending bmw back across the ocean ...

Well nice try...

In 76 a friend in high school had a aspin... a bigger pile of crap was hard to find... maybe the pinto and pacer.. those were the dark days of american cars

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
When in college, my gf at the time and I participated in an hours-long market survey for some unnamed automotive company. EVERYONE reacted positively to the designs we were being shown. At the end, I told the discussion facilitator, "Tell your client to start buying wheelbarrows; they'll need them for all the money they're going to make."

The car was the Caravan.

He was indeed a visionary. And lest we forget, he spearheaded the 1984 restoration of the Statue of Liberty.

View: https://youtu.be/7rNHZh3Vu0Y

·
Navy Veteran
5,435 Posts
RIP Mr. Iacocca. As stated, responsible for the Ford Mustang, a big hit. He figured out what America wanted in the 60's. The K car and mini van. Henry Ford fired him from Ford because he was getting too much publicity. I read one of his books, a great read. After his business success, he was questioned about if he was interested in getting into politics. His reply was something like, "Hell no, I saw how government works when trying to get our Chrysler deal, they can't get anything done without a lot of nonsense."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts