Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a few buckets of .40S&W that our friend picked up at the police range. We want to shoot them through my dad's S&W 4006, but obviously, the cases are bulged too much at the bottom end. The 'Glock Hips' that the 40's seem to give won't allow the round to be chambered since my dad's 4006 is sporting a Barsto barrel which seems to have a tighter than average chamber.

He uses a Dillon XL650 with the Dillon carbide pistol dies, but the resizer does not go down far enough to get rid of this bulge. Is a Lee Full Length Sizing Die ALL we need in order to get this brass back in business so we can shoot it through his 4006?

This is all once fired brass.

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Two or three companies have equipment to get the brass back to new size. Do a goggle search on case rollers or I will enclose a link to a company that sell equipment for that operation. That is one reason so many people do not like Glocks and there sloppy chambers. http://www.magmaengr.com/products.php look part way down the page it is called a case master. Unless you have a lot of brass not really worth the cost of the equipment brass brings $ 1.38 a pound right now I just halled 110 pounds of brass fired in older 40 caliber Glocks and sold it. Seems like the new guns support the chamber better and they are not as bad as the older guns about stretching the web of the case. The unsupported chamber in 40 caliber is the reasons Glocks were nicknamed Ka Boom.

·
Registered
15,028 Posts
I would try the Lee Die. You can even grind a little of the concave steel away to get it to size lower on the case. Probably won't need to if you set it up low and tight agains the shellplate. The undersize doesn't go any lower it just is a smidge tighter.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I use the EGW undersize die and the Lee factory crimp die on my Dillon 550. I have no issues with my Glock-shot rounds chambering into my S&W 4046...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Does the EGW die go down as far as the Lee Full Length Sizing die?
The EGW die IS a lee die...simply sold/marketed by EGW & 1/1000 undersized. I presently have 4 of them and run all my range pickups through them before re-using. So far, seems to work as advertised...after running through the EGW's, the only cases that fail to gauge are those with extractor burrs on the rim.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
... Is a Lee Full Length Sizing Die ALL we need in order to get this brass back in business so we can shoot it through his 4006?
YES

Just be sure to size all the way down the case like its intended to be used.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool thanks guys, and Jumper for your emphatic response lol :D

I will add in the Lee Full Length Resizing Die.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it appears there is no "Lee Full Length Resizing Die" for pistol, only a "Lee Sizing Die". I must have been thinking rifle dies.

I still haven't found a definitive answer anywhere as to whether or not the EGW die goes down farther on the case than the Lee die. I realize that it makes the diameter of the case smaller than the Lee die, but what about the LENGTH of the case it resizes in comparison to the Lee die?

Can I still use my Dillon expander die since the cases will be 0.001" smaller due to the EGW die? Will this throw everything out of whack or can I use the same dies I have been using?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,028 Posts
Even the Dillon Dies you have are supposed to be "full length sizing dies". Lees just seem to go a little farther. The issue is that Dillon and Lee (to differing degrees) have a funnel shape to help guide the case into the die. So the deeper the funnel (to easy progressive reloading tasks) the farther into the die the resizing starts. So the Lee sizes a little farther down the case then the Dillon. Getting a U-Die as suggested is only going to size the case a little smaller. Technically it would not size any farther down as its just a standard Lee die sized .001 smaller. As a result of sizing smaller it may pull more of the bulge out then a normally lee die. Most of the people who buy the EGW dies are Dillon die owners who think they need something special because the Dillon dies are letting them down. I watch these EGW threads and I have yet to hear of a Lee die owner feeling the need for a EGW die. I would buy a standard lee sizing die and grind some of the metal funnel away before I started undersizing all my brass.

Edit, Your Dillon Powder/expander will re-expand the case so it accepts the bullet properly. Thats the nice thing about the Dillon Powder measure over some of the others.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am looking at a Lee 40s&w die. It is marked LEE-10/40-J3 out of Lee 4 die set 90965 for identification. The taper on the die is almost not existant, telling me that it will size all of the way down. The Dillon dies have a large taper, hence will not size to the base. All you need is a regular die, not an undersized, It doesn't seem from what you've said.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks Kazager,

I think I will give the Lee die a try then. Thanks for the input!
If you read the egw link it says it sizes all the way down. That is why I recommended it. You are better off with the egw die.

·
Registered
15,028 Posts
Tell you what if you want to know, send me some of your bulged brass. I will resize it and send it back. They you just load it and see if it works fine. My 10mm bulges brass worse then any of the .40 range pick ups I have. I don't reload .40 but I can tell after I resize the .40 the bulge is gone. I don't have a tight barrel to drop them into but they look perfect. I did a marker test on some forty and they resize well below the bulge on my press.

Edit, Just noticed you are in Canada. Don't know anything about shipping to Canada. That might be expensive for just a padded letter?

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,193 Posts
EGW offers custom made, carbide sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. These dies also flair lower than some other sizing dies and size the case further down, which may prevent feed failures from cases bulged near the base as is typical of brass fired in Glock and other loose chambered guns.

The EGW dies are the same and made buy Lee. It is NOT a custom made die.
It is only a die that is out of specification by .001. It sizes further down than some OTHER dies like Dillon, not Lee dies. If you have a real tight chamber then it might be worth it. Other than that I see no need for one. Yes I have one and it does not do anything that a standard Lee die does. If you are using a Glock with an already loose chamber, all you are doing is over working the brass and shorting the case life.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Colorado4Wheel: Thanks very much for the offer, unfortunately I am pretty sure we aren't permitted to send any ammo components across the border, otherwise I would take you up on that offer :D

Unclebob: Perfect! That is EXACTLY what I was looking to find out. Since the Lee Sizing Die goes down just as far as the EGW die then I will most definitely buy the Lee as I can buy it here in Canada. The 0.001" undersizing is not important to me, and I agree with you that the less the brass is worked the better.

Thanks very much for all your help guys!!

·
Footlong Jr.
1,953 Posts
Another vote for a LFCD in the last stage, it always takes the bulge out of the skirt.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is the difference in how the LFCD takes the bulge out vs how to LRD does?

I would assume the LFCD is less drastic, and just takes out the bulge that would have been the result of mouth expanding, or bullet seating. Is this correct?

·
sci-fi nut
786 Posts
i've thousands of .40 rounds loaded on a dillon 650. and had some problems till i got the LFCD it resize the loaded round agian and really puts the squeeze on them, everybody should have one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.