Glock Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Lee CTP already and wanting a Dillon 550. Help me justify buying the 550 or just to keep reloading with the lee. I've loaded probably 10k rounds with the lee. So I'm still a beginner but know what's going on. If you would me with pros and cons. Help me decide which one I want.

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
There have been books written on this but Basically comes down to time, work & volume. The LCT is 3-4 pulls per round the 550B, one. So you are doing a lot less work. The LCT, running hard, you might be able to sustain 200rds/hr. The 550B running easy is 350+. Yes you are paying more but that is really what you save is time & work. Even if you go at the LCT rate, you are doing less work to get there.

·
NRA & Second Amendment Life Member
1,633 Posts
I have heard that the 550 is the flagship of Dillon's line of reloaders. I have two 550b's and a Square Deal B. I also use my single stage RCBS Rock Chucker for experimenting prior to cranking out rounds.

If you frequently load different calibers, I would suggest going with the 550. It's very easy to change calibers. If you only shoot one or two different pistol calibers, you might want to just go with the SDB.

But if you're happy with the Lee, and don't shoot a lot, I'd just stick with the Lee.

JMHO,
Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want the Dillon. Just don't want the lee to sit around and collect dust. And everything from Dillon I want I think is around $700. Thanks for the opinions guys. I shoot 9mm and 45 acp in USPSA. Other guns are 357, 308 and 223. Have the reloading equipment for them all with lee.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I went from a LCT to 550B a long time ago now. For me, it was worth it as I basically doubled my output for time spent.

I sold my Lee Classic Turret and all my Lee caliber kits to a newcomer to the pastime who was thrilled to get it.

I went all Dillon for my various calibers and again don't regret it, all top quality stuff. The Dillon warranty and CS is worth the price of admission alone.

You will know when it is time for the upgrade, when you feel you are spending too much time loading.

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
For gun games, I don't see any other path than a progressive. That is 600-1000rds a month if you shoot a match weekly as I try to. That is waaaaay too many handle pulls.:ack:

·
Wood butcher
2,456 Posts
Go ahead and get the press you want, but keep the LCT. The 550 gives you more output in less time. For me, the progressive is for higher output handgun calibers. I use the CT for everything else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a firm believer in buying once. The 550b and it's no BS guarantee was worth every penny I spent on it. Going to add a second Dillon soon just because I'm too lazy to change from small primer to large primer. One will be small and the other large.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the input. And also for not bashing my lee CTP. I just bought it thinking I'd test the waters before investing all that money. But after a year and a half I have the itch for what everyone says is the best. A Dillon. I have put the inline fab auto eject on my lee and it helps with a step but still nothing like Dillon. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Going to add a second Dillon soon just because I'm too lazy to change from small primer to large primer. One will be small and the other large
That's one reason I like pairs of them myself. However, the 550 is the easiest of all Dillon's to swap primer size on.

This and the tube are all it takes.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
A lot of great advice here, and I will try not repeat it too much.

I started on a 550B added a 650, then sold the 550 to add a second 650. I still miss that 550B, I should have kept it. Its a good solid little press.

As Fred said it comes down to time and effort. If your short on time, like I am, a better press makes sense.

The other thing I will add is your enjoyment counts. I reload because I enjoy it. It keeps me involved in the hobby when the weather is not so good. How much you enjoy reloading on the press you have and how much more pleasure you get from a new press only you can decide, but its worth something.

I would consider keeping what you have and adding the Dillon if you can, in what ever caliber you shoot the most. See how it goes. You can always expand if it makes you happier. Keep the Lee as long as you have room for it, sell it to someone starting out if it feels right.

I don't think you will regret the purchase, you really won't loose much if at all if you buy it and end up selling it.

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
Certainly keep the LCT, you'll find a use for it. I have my first ss press, it is used in my reloading classes. I have a 550 & a 650 & a ss press. All get used at some point. I did have two 550B, but sold one to get the 650. I like both but the 650 is the way to go with a case feeder for when you really need to make a bunch of ammo in a short period of time or a little ammo in a really short period of time.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Certainly keep the LCT, you'll find a use for it. I have my first ss press, it is used in my reloading classes. I have a 550 & a 650 & a ss press. All get used at some point. I did have two 550B, but sold one to get the 650. I like both but the 650 is the way to go with a case feeder for when you really need to make a bunch of ammo in a short period of time.
I agree Fred, the 650 is best if you want to really crank out some volume. Thats why I moved to 2 of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.