close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lee Classic Turret Press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Russ Not the Mod, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

If someone thinking about getting into reloading hesitates a year because of the extra price of the Dillon 550c (I don't see a 550b listed on their website), they could buy a Lee LCT now at the cheaper price and in that year the press will pay for itself. They will have gained experience, and wasted no money, and then can decide if they want a Dillon. My Lee LCT is already paid off in the past 6 months, compared to the price I would have spent on factory ammo :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    SJ 40 likes this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

Yes I think the newest version is now the C. You are correct, it is mostly a $$ issue. My point though is buying twice is never economical. Though you can find a use for a LCT even with a progressive, just buy the damn thing & pay once. Many happily buy 2k-3k rds of say 9mm, but stress over spending that $400-$600 for a press setup. I fail to get it but then I have learned the hard way.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    ithaca_deerslayer likes this.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

If you buy a case of factory ammo, there is no unknowns. You pay the price, shoot the ammo, and pretty good odds that it all fires nicely and you are happy.

If you have a wife, and you spread the cost of the factory ammo around during the course of the year, she gets used to a case here or there, and she doesn't add up the cost.

But now if you are talking about reloading, it suddenly gets more difficult. Not only is the guy a newbie and unsure, himself, but the wife has doubts and wonders where it is going to go. Not in her walk-in closet, and not in the corner of the basement that she has been eying for a treadmill.

And what, exactly, does a reloader cost, the wife cynically asks the husband? The higher that number, the more difficult it is for either of them to believe it is justified.

Heck, my own brother bought a Hornady reloader setup and dies for 3 or 4 calibers, about 20 years ago. I didn't even find out he has it, until recently. He hasn't been reloading at all. We've hunted together and he never brought it up as a subject. He bought that with his 1st wife around. I remember her getting mad when he bought a new compound bow, without telling her. He now is with his 2nd wife.

My point being, that initial price to get into something can be important. And there's probably a lot of guys who for whatever reason turn their fancy new reloader into a dust collector. Just as their wife's treadmill may end up sitting beside it competing for dust :)

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

After seeing Fred's recommendation time and time again for a Dillon 550, I think this video does a good job making it look nice. But I wouldn't have understood what it is showing me, but can now because of my experience with my LCT.

Looks pretty nice, in operation, at 7:00 to 7:25 :)

And here's the LCT in action

5. fredj338

fredj338

Then there are bigger issues in your life than ammo cost. Always keeping in mind that good equip will resell for 80% of new. So use it for a year, sell it, if you shot enough you easily make the 20%. If you can afford to shoot factory ammo, you can afford the best reloading gear made. Guns are cheap, ammo is expensive. Again, I wouldn't reload if I only shot 1000rds a year, of anything really. You are just moving $$ around spreading the cost of ammo over a year vs say a one time purchase of good reloading gear. Put $50 a month away, you are into a 550C in a year or you have 3k empty cases left for me to reload.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    ithaca_deerslayer and dudel like this.
  6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Exactly. I'm just trying to explain the psychology of the process :)

7. fredj338

fredj338

I don't count my wife's shoes & she stays out of my reloading room. It has worked for almost 30yrs. Ya gotta pick your battles. You want to reload, make the wife buy her own ammo. SHoes, ammo, shoes, ammo, she'll see the savings part pretty quick.

dudel and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  8. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

A guy is working on the motor of his bass boat. The newly married wife comes out and sits down on the steps watching him work on the motor. After a couple of minutes she says you know now that we are married I think you should get rid of that boat, and the motorcycle,your guns, and your drinking friends. Without looking up the husband says now you sound like my X wife. You never told me you were married before. The husband slowly turns around and looks his wife straight in the eyes and say. I wasn't.

9. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

He is not very fast on that Dillon, too much wasted motion.

That said I may get a LTC for down here in Florida and
    leave the 550 in Idaho.

I started loading on a Lee Loader in 1966 and now feel
    that reloading if a necessary evil, mostly, so is casting.

It cuts into my computer time here on GT.

Since I retired I have become one LAZZZY SOB.

Every night is Friday night and everyday is Saturday.

Got my first Dillon in 1983.

fredj338, dudel and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  10. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

There is nothing wrong with pulling on your handle.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

That's defined by the end user not me. People can come up with that on their own. And it can change as that user has more or less free time.

WeeWilly and Uncle Don like this.
  12. fredj338

fredj338

My mom told me I would go blind, but they can fix that theses days.

13. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

So did my mom, I told her I was just going to
    pull till I needed glasses, got my first set at 13.

Uncle Don likes this.
  14. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Yes, but wouldn't you need someone to lead you to the Dr. Office so you don't bump into things. :)

happie2shoot likes this.
  15. dkf

dkf

It won't be the end of the world if you end up with an LCT and a 550 or LCT and 650 on your bench. Anyone whom is into really loading usually has multiple presses anyway, some more than others. When you have to move a press to take a shower........you have enough of them.

hardpan and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  16. acpd541

acpd541

17. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

18. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

That looks pretty nifty.

I probably won't get one, but I think it is a great idea.

Early on in my process I had a few problems feeding/seating the primer, until I got used to the feel of it. But as a result I developed a technique of when removing the completed cartridge from the LCT that I do a quick visual check to see new the new primer is there. And as I set into a 50 count block tray, I set for a split second on a flat metal surface, then place in the tray. If it is a high primer, the cartridge will not set flat.

If I were to ditch that whole "one at a time" quality control check for primers, the ejector system would be the way to go :)

19. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod Not the mod

I did some reloading yesterday and had a heckuva time with the primer feed. I think I was trying too hard. When I just flicked the primer with the feeder towards the end they popped right in there like nothing.

I got the Auto Drum Powder Measure with mine and that thing is within .1 grain either way. Last week when I did some loading, I had to measure up on an electronic scale because my long charging die was way too long for thee 762 x 39. I got the short one from Amazon Friday and put it to work yesterday. I metered out 10 -15 loads to check everything out and was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy.

I also found out if you putz around for awhile and jiggle stuff around without loading anything, the powder gets denser and throw a heavier charge for the first load. I'm glad I checked although it was only .5 over the load.

Russ P

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  20. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

Leave the handle down on a charged case.