close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lee Classic Turret Press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Russ Not the Mod, Mar 2, 2017.

1. tom mac

tom mac

Us old farts need reps anyway to keep muscle mass :)

BTW, yes tho I have a LCT , I also run a Pro1000 ( don't ever buy one ) so I do know the advantage of the single pull per round... For me it's still the amount of rounds needed before the upgrade... time I have since I retired 8yrs ago at 54.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Certainly YOUNGER!:baby:

3. fredj338

fredj338

I used to think that a progressive was all about round count, which is true, but at 60, I appreciate pulling the handle less & less.

4. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod Not the mod

Thanks for the heads up Willy. I just ordered it from them. That's the best price with the most value I have seen anywhere. I ordered the rifle kit, but ordered the 38/357 carbide dies for an extra $12. They're normally $40 or so. I had the rifle dies I needed already from a wheel and deal with my local LGS.

Russ P

WeeWilly likes this.
  5. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

The one I had worked without the use of a washer.

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

May have been a revision level thing. On mine, without the washer, the Safety Prime "Pez dispenser" didn't line up with the primer arm and it would spit a primer as likely as set it in the cup. After the washer it fed the primers into the cups flawlessly.

7. unclebob

I think it has to do a lot with the + or- tolerance’s in the manufacture of a product.

8. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I can't remember where I got it, but I have a "handgun" index rod. The twist is half way up instead of near the bottom. Outside of having to go the bottom for priming, the rest goes quite a bit faster. Doesn't take many to save time over a box of ammo. Never going to be a progressive, but not bad for "non-progressive" rounds.

9. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I've had a Lee turret press for so long I don't know what year I bought it, maybe 30 years ago, maybe more.

If I had to replace it I would get the Lee Classic turret press. But, I batch process so the progressive mechanism is meaningless to me.

10. unclebob

And you can do that on a progressive press also.

fredj338 likes this.
  11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

My first and so far only press. I'm finding it a little slow these days and would like to upgrade to a Dillon 550B but I'm not reloading enough to justify it lately.

It's a great first machine.

12. fredj338

fredj338

And this is why I don't see the point of a turret today. A decent progressive gives you options. Go fast, go slow, batch load as a ss press or inverted turret or full on progressive. Why I am a big fan of the simplistic 550B/C. Easy to do options on & when you want/need it, it will spit out 450rds per hour pretty easily.
    Cost diff between a LCT & 550B/C, about $300 or a case & a half of 9mm. Just not a big deal when you consider what it does & how much time & effort it saves you, JMO.

13. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

It's clear that some don't see the point in a CT and favor another choice for various reasons. Not everyone likes the same thing and as can be seen, many are happy with theirs for their own reasons. That shouldn't be a problem for anyone else.

Personally, I wouldn't want a 550 and favor something else but that doesn't mean it's not a great choice for others. I haven't and won't try and talk anyone in or out of anything.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    happie2shoot likes this.
  14. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Computer froze, duplicate post

15. fredj338

fredj338

Don, I don't think anyone is trying to talk anyone into or out of anything. Just giving salient points to help guys advance their hobby. Many think the progressive is all about speed/volume & it is but there is more to it than that & many havn't considered the other aspects.
    I am not attacking Lee products, I wouldn't buy a turret of any brand today, just noting there are other choices that may be a better fit in the long haul. Unlike the govt I like to look 10yrs + down the road if possible. Buying 2 or 3 times is never a bargain. Cost always seems to drive many & it shouldn't when you stack the cost vs the time vs factory ammo that many are happy to pay for.

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

The unescapable benefit is and always will be cost on a Classic Turret. You can get into the complete Classic Turret for about half the cost of a 550. I realize this is not the complete cost of getting started in reloading but you will save about $200 with your initial purchase if you use a Classic Turret. For me the bigger benefit is not the original purchase savings. Thats a moot point over a period of years. For me I like having a reasonably fast press that I can load all sorts of calibers on that I don't shoot that often. .380/357/38/ even rifle. The cost of getting started is just a 3 Die set from LEE or anyone else. Lee just comes with the shell holder so I mention them first. I don't buy the 4 die set because I much prefer the normal crimp die over the FCD. I even use my LCT for neck sizing me 308 Precision Rifle. I neck size and prime it all at the same time. It's just a handy press. I put a roller handle on my Classic Turret as well. Very comfortable. So when you factor in the cheap conversion price and that I don't have to use a SS for anything related to pistol it has a place of pride on my bench. Seriously.

17. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

While I agree with the rest of your post - this stood out to me. Where did you get that? Didn't know it was available.

18. ksdhd21

ksdhd21

I have reloaded 15k+ rounds on my lee classic turret. With the inline fabrication auto eject I love it. Might not speed up that much but helps eliminating one step. If I was to buy again I would consider lee because dillons start up cost is almost 3x the lee CTP. But again, I own both. So to each his own.

Uncle Don likes this.
  19. unclebob

Another way of looking at it you loaded 15,000rds. So let's say you can load 250 rds. an hour on the lee press. So that's 60 hours you spent reloading those rounds. On my Dillon 650 I can average 750 rds. an hour, so those 15,000 would take me 20 hours. So that's 40 hours I could be doing something else. Also 45000 less pulls on the handle. So in the last 20 years loading 200,000 on a 650. Is it worth the 3 times the price? Hell yes.

fredj338 likes this.
  20. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod Not the mod

Sometimes its the journey and not the destination. Maybe he likes to hang around the reloading bench and have some chill time.

More pulls on the handle can lead to better health thru upper body conditioning.

Russ P

happie2shoot likes this.