close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lee Classic Turret Press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Russ P, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Russ P

Russ P

Have any of y'all used this press and had good results? The price seems right to get into it to see if I want to follow thru.

Mostly for 762 x 39 and maybe 38 sp. for the wife.

Russ P

2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I think the LCT press may be one of the best values in reloading equipment.

I had one for years, not the press you would select for high volume operations, but a gem for moderate to low volume use (I averaged about 150 rd/hour, all in). Caliber changes take about 30 seconds when you have multiple die plates.

I only loaded handgun on it, so I can't speak to its longevity sizing rifle cases regularly.

3. dudel

dudel

I had one and hated it. To me, it's not a smooth press. Very jerky as it rotates the turret. Did not handle a Dillon powder dump well. That dump may not be appropriate for the LCT; but it's what I use because I get such good results with it and the powders I use). Priming on the LCT was a PITA (as on almost ALL Lee progressive presses). The nylon ratchet gave me fits if you don't cycle the press fully in each direction (which you may not want to do if you find a problem in mid stroke). It was my introduction to Lee customer services which for this press was abysmal. I have plenty of other Lee products (casting furnace, molds, FCD, carbide crimp dies, etc). I'm just not a fan of Lee progressive presses.

I was able to sell it after a few months and lost very little on it. If you just want to try reloading, I'd suggest just going to a 550b. If reloading isn't for you, resale will be easy, and you won't lose much if anything (the warranty stays with the Dillon press; not the owner).

refugeepj likes this.
  4. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

I had one when they first came out. Loaded thousands of rounds with it and never saw a problem. I sold it when I quit shooting and started chasing Bass Tournaments for about 20 years or so.

The only reason I didn't buy another one when I got back into shooting was I don't have room for that type setup. Now I use a Lee Hand Press. Slow, but I'm in no real hurry.

dwhite53 likes this.
  5. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I started with the LCT and never had any issues with it other than it takes 4 pulls of the handle to produce 1 round. Initially I wasn't shooting much so that wasn't a problem and LCT met my needs. Once I started reloading, I started shooting more and more and wanted something to produce more ammo more quickly. I bought a 650 and haven't regretted it.

IMO, the LCT was a low cost investment to get into reloading and I feel it was a good press to learn to reload....not as much going on at one time as a progressive press.

I only load 9mm and 380 so I can't comment on rifle reloading on the LCT.

6. jmorris

jmorris

+1

dbarry, dwhite53, tom mac and 3 others like this.
  7. F350

F350

I used one when I first started shooting competitively, I figured I loaded about 35,000 rounds of .38 spl from Jan to May the first year I shot the Bianchi Cup. Since I also shot .45 ACP in IPSC and didn't have a ton of money I could quickly change calibers.

I then started buying Dillon Square Deals for every caliber and ended up with them in .38, .357, .45 and 10mm. I was renting a 3 bedroom house and 1 was the reloading room, the reloading bench was in one corner, 8' on one wall and 10' on the other, plenty of room for everything.

Today with limited space I'm back to using the Lee, I load mostly rifle and hand advance the turret due to length of travel being shortened with the auto advance. I load 223, 22-250, 308, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 wsm, all seated in their own turret.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  8. Joebiker

Joebiker

Last year at 67 years old, I decided to start reloading. I read as much as I could. I did not know if I would like it or not. The Dillion was nice but I decided it was to much investment in something I was not sure I would enjoy.
    I bought a Lee Classic turret I really found It was the right press for me. I reload .223,.380, 9mm, .38 special, 10mm, .40 S&W and .45 Colt. So far. The Lee turret was an excellent learning tool for me.

Benchrst and Stevekozak like this.
  9. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

I have one and love it. As others have said, excellent value. I reload smallish quantities of .380, .38 Special and .40S&W. I added a Hornady case activated powder drop to my RCBS powder measure to speed things up a bit and a Lee precision safety primer feed. I use a Hornady LNL for large volume 9mm.

10. gunsup

gunsup Junior Member

I agree with WeeWilly. Excellent for what it was made. I love this press

Benchrst and Stevekozak like this.
  11. dkf

dkf

Mine has worked very well for me, load many calibers. Cheap and very fast caliber changeovers. Once I put a spacer under the arm and aligned the arm properly the priming system very rarely drops a primer. I'll agree with it being one of the best values out there. Its not for high quantities like some of the larger more expensive progressives but it is a very versatile well built press.

Taroman likes this.
  12. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I've had one for going on six years now and I like it. I load mostly rifle, 8mm and .308. It works well for the low volume I do.

It suits me quite well.

13. crockett

crockett

willie_pete, dudel and SJ 40 like this.
  14. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I've had mine since 2006. Last year, I had to change the ratchet so 10 years isn't bad for the first. It's used for all calibers except 9mm which is now done on a progressive. I can load a box of handgun in just short of 15 minutes and it's as solid today as the day I got it. It does between 5 & 7k a year.

I agree with Wee Willy about versatility. Caliber changes consist of a turret, shell holder and priming arm. You can auto index or batch load and it does anything from .32 ACP to the largest rifle.

Iceman8 likes this.
  15. dudel

dudel

And the primer feed works!

willie_pete and crockett like this.
  16. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

It is a good product.

dbarry likes this.
  17. Nthill93

Nthill93

I love mine. Just started reloading a few months ago I'm doing 45acp,10mm/40 and 38sp/357mag. Haven't done any rifle on it yet. I got the whole kit that came with the auto drum powder measure and safety prime system. I can do about a round a minute when I'm going super slow and cautious, when I want to crank them out I can do 2/min. Auto index works fine for me never had any trouble with the press.

18. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I echo what Crockett said ( other than the arrogant prick thing :supergrin: ), I have two T-7's sitting side by side with a total of 4 turrets.

wp

crockett likes this.
  19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

+2

It's great for what it is. Use the lee measure. They have a new one I would try over the disk. I have not tried it yet. But it's a good press.

20. refugeepj

refugeepj

had one years ago.
    out grew it in a hurry.
    bought a Dillon.
    spend a few extra bucks up front, save a lot over the years.
    buy once, for life.

dudel likes this.