Glock Talk banner

Lee Challenger

906 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Brown Hawk 
#1 ·
I picked up this 50th Anniversary kit from a co-worker. He was going to use it to load .223 varmint rounds and got off into other stuff.

So I got about 400 cases, 100 55 grain bullets, 40 Nosler 40 grain, and about 300 small rifle (Winchester) and 100 small pistol primers (CCI). Also a pound of Hodgdon BL-C(2) rifle powder

And NO, I am not going to be loading soon. I've been reading all the posts here, and a lot that are linked. Right now, I'm trying to find some information on the three die set that came with the press. The first removes the old primer and does nothing else. The other two I'm not totally sure about.

The second die seems to flare the case mouth, and I'm not sure about anything else. It has a stamp "LEE-223-F7", and there is no search on the Lee site that will pull up what it is and what it does. Seems like the primer can be put in on the upstroke iin this step or in the deprimer step.

The third die is open at both ends, and looking down through the top, there is a piece divided into four sections. The stamp on it is "LEE-223-I7" (or maybe 17.) Probably crimps the cartridge.

So the first question is if these dies are carbide, as the adjustment instructions are different for carbide dies. (No one at Lee's when I called.)

Second question is if I am correct in what I think that these three dies are doing.

Steps seem to be 1) deprime, 2) clean (not every time), 3) widen and prime, 4) add powder, 5) seat bullet and crimp. Each step to be done to multiple pieces of brass before going on to the next step. 1, 3, and 5 on the press, 2 in the tumbler, and 4 at the powder station.

I know I need to get a better scale, as well as a tumbler and other things, but right now I'm looking at the two books at brianenos.com - the Speer and the Lyman. Probably also his electronic scale. All that will come when I better understand the process.

Thanks,

Hawk

See less See more
#2 ·
Is this the die set you have http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=434975

Sounds like a Lee pacesetter 3-die set in 223

Each Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set includes the exclusive Lee Factory Crimp Die, Full Length Sizer Die and Bullet Seater Die. Each set is made from steel and includes the appropriate Shellholder, Powder Measure, load data, plastic storage box and a two year warranty. Adjustable crimp from slight taper to full roll

#3 ·
That is the set. I have the powder measure and the plastic box, but no load data for the set. And it is steel, not carbide.

I'm not sure what the adjustable crimp - slight taper to full roll means, but all the pieces seem to work together. Now that I know what the pieces are, I'll watch the Lee videos again and try to set things up correctly.

Thanks,

Hawk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.