Glock Talk banner

Lee auto disk powder measure

2343 Views 55 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  MikeB2
Anyone here using the Lee auto disk powder measure?

I have one that i was reviewing the data on and have a question.

Loading 9mm with Unique and the chart that comes with it shouws that the .57 disk should be approximated 5.2 grains, but upon measuring the throw, the scale (lee scale) indicated 4.4 grains.

When i use the .61, should be around 5.6 but scale shows the throw at 4.8.

ive zered the scale many times so i'm confident in its accuracy, and realize the data fr the disk Lee provides are approximates, but does everyone else experience such a great variance?
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
You can also drill as hole into the side of an auto disk and thread a set screw into it. You can then adjust the set screw to displace the amount of powder in that disk hole.
While a good idea, it defeats the purpose for me in that it would no longer be a fixed cavity. Apparently, that is more important to me than most others.

When I used to load a lot of shotgun on a MEC 9000G, I never once checked the powder or shot drop after verifying the first time.

Reactions: nitesit(+ an e)

· Long ago and far away...
50 Posts
Anyone here using the Lee auto disk powder measure?

I have one that i was reviewing the data on and have a question.

Loading 9mm with Unique and the chart that comes with it shouws that the .57 disk should be approximated 5.2 grains, but upon measuring the throw, the scale (lee scale) indicated 4.4 grains.

When i use the .61, should be around 5.6 but scale shows the throw at 4.8.

ive zered the scale many times so i'm confident in its accuracy, and realize the data fr the disk Lee provides are approximates, but does everyone else experience such a great variance?
I've had the same problem with the Lee ADPM; to be more precise, their disks. Called Lee and they were about as helpful as a screen door in a submarine (It's the powder manufacturer's fault. Call them.) I've found that when brewing up a new load I weigh the first six or seven loads and then about every tenth. What I weigh is always less than their documentation shows.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
one thing one thing I don't like about the auto disk, is for me it leaks out the sides a little bit where you're supposed to tighten down the screws. So far I like the auto drum
On all my Autodisk (both square hopper or round "Pro"), I had to sand down the support to close the gap between the disk and the drop to stop leakage. It is pretty simple to do and makes them pretty bullet proof. I guess the mold maker wanted too much to make tolerances a little tighter. Not a big deal though, for a tinkerer at heart.

· Registered
173 Posts
On all my Autodisk (both square hopper or round "Pro"), I had to sand down the support to close the gap between the disk and the drop to stop leakage. It is pretty simple to do and makes them pretty bullet proof. I guess the mold maker wanted too much to make tolerances a little tighter. Not a big deal though, for a tinkerer at heart.
I did the same and it works great even with my AA #9 loads.

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
Guess I've been lucky - have had one for decades and the most recent one about a year. Neither leak but I tend to use more Unique and Green Dot than anything fine. The eleastomer wiper takes up a few thousandths so figured that was the primary reason.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
Guess I've been lucky - have had one for decades and the most recent one about a year. Neither leak but I tend to use more Unique and Green Dot than anything fine. The eleastomer wiper takes up a few thousandths so figured that was the primary reason.
Yes, the coarser powders always did fine. It was the dust fine stuff that could leak if I didn't adjust the tolerance.

I certainly don't want to make it out as a big deal or technical deal. Typically took about 2-3 minutes with a piece of fine sand paper laid flat on the bench. Back and forth, check, back and forth, done for good.

· DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,230 Posts
If someone made (3D printed?) disks for the Lee Auto Disk with cavities sized between Lee's offerings (e.g., .47 and .48 where Lee offers .46 and .49), I'd be interested. I don't know why Lee doesn't do that themselves.
Just get the auto drum it will throw whatever you want. With out all the trouble of the disks.

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
Just get the auto drum it will throw whatever you want. With out all the trouble of the disks.
Nothing wrong with the Auto Drum - I just don't care for the "adjustable" feature when I'm so used to not ever having to deal with it. I'm spoiled at not having to "verify" when I use a particular disc number with a particular powder.

That said, I think the Auto Drum is probably best for very small or very large drops of powder as opposed to the Auto Disk. However, when working with handgun loads, I've never experienced any issue with finding the proper disk for moderate loads. Even with powder changes, a bit high or low doesn't make a difference unless trying to go full tilt. Different strokes.

· Registered
9,059 Posts
When I load Titegroup in 38 special brass, there is only one setting with the disks that is between min and max. It is the smallest hole. The auto drum allows me unrestricted variation in powder drops. I can understand not wanting to change what you have been doing for years, but to me, the auto drum is a far better way to go. I will not be using the disks any longer. If somebody wants them, send me a PM and I'll ship them to you.

24,300 Posts

· DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,230 Posts
You can get extra drums set them for what you want and there is a place on the drum where you can mark what that drum throughs. I’m working with as light as you can go loads and still work. No disk worked for me so I drilled and taped the disk that was bigger than what I wanted and dialed it in. But still had the problem of them leaking, spring hanging up etc. I had three of them. So I sold them and got the drum 110% better than the disk. Don’t think it was ever taken me more than two minutes to dial what I want in. I use it now when wanting to test different loads. Lot easier than dragging out the Charge Master letting it warm up, calibration then checking.

· Registered
548 Posts
Started reloading with nothing, Picked up a LCT kit that had all the hardware to get started. It came with the Pro disk which leaked badly. Someone on here started a thread about the Lee auto disk and I got one of those. Man what a difference, no leaks. Well until I got some Accurate No.5. The auto disk leaked with that. Tried lapping one of the drums with rubbing compound and jewelers rouge. That slowed it down, but still leaked too much. Then I remembered the auto disk. Did some sanding like WeeWilly and that helped. The hopper on the auto disk rotates to shut off the powder, a feature I never used. It's held down on one side by 1 screw and when tightened down the seal pushes up on the opposite side. Took the hopper off and pulled the free side down with some duck tape and then JB welded the sucker in place. Also placed a catch tray between the powder drop and expander die. Only get a few kernels of No5 in the tray now. Happy with how it works now.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.