Glock Talk banner

Lee auto disk powder measure

2340 55
Anyone here using the Lee auto disk powder measure?

I have one that i was reviewing the data on and have a question.

Loading 9mm with Unique and the chart that comes with it shouws that the .57 disk should be approximated 5.2 grains, but upon measuring the throw, the scale (lee scale) indicated 4.4 grains.

When i use the .61, should be around 5.6 but scale shows the throw at 4.8.

ive zered the scale many times so i'm confident in its accuracy, and realize the data fr the disk Lee provides are approximates, but does everyone else experience such a great variance?
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Registered
18,795 Posts
Willy, really struggling with this Lee scale. Having hard time same weight of one charge, just taking it off and putting it back on. Also the little lines to line up vernier style are killing my 53 year old eyes.
I understand. I played with it for quite a while and I will say, I did get to where I had confidence in the thing, but it was always a fussy arm wrestle. For $75, the Dillon Eliminator is really money well spent.

sciolist would say, "bah, its a bar tab!", I suspect a small one at that, even in Nampa... ;)

I don't even want to post what crockett would say. It would only come out asterisks anyway. :)

· Banned
10,105 Posts
I understand. I played with it for quite a while and I will say, I did get to where I had confidence in the thing, but it was always a fussy arm wrestle. For $75, the Dillon Eliminator is really money well spent.

sciolist would say, "bah, its a bar tab!", I suspect a small one at that, even in Nampa... ;)

I don't even want to post what crockett would say. It would only come out asterisks anyway. :)

I'm trying to be moderate and keep my big mouth shut for a change. Doesn't come natural. :)

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
Guess I'm the odd one out. I have a Auto Drum and use it only for 45-70. Don't really care for it as much because turning into the die is much harder than the Auto Disk. The other reason I've been using the Auto Disk is that it's a fixed cavity and it can't possibly come out of adjustment or drop more than that.

Been using it for decades and it's probably tough to learn new tricks. As to the scale, I'm still using the Lyman 500 that was given to me by a friend in the early 80s.

· DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,230 Posts
If you take out the key on the auto drum I don't see how it would ever change.

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
If you take out the key on the auto drum I don't see how it would ever change.
Probably wouldn't - but with the Auto Disk, I know. As mentioned, it's also easier to turn into the die. I do use the drums, but primarily for the Classic Cast Powder Measure.

· DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,230 Posts
Your welcome
Just let us know what you think of it compared to the other disk powder measure.

· Registered
8,328 Posts
I may try the drum...anyone find the Lee scale to be a PITA?
I took one look at the lee scale included with my press and got a digital. it aint a fancy one, it's what all the dope dealers use. it's accurate enough. I am not loading rounds where .1gr can mean I lose my fingers. I load cast lead, plinking rounds. .40 is low end, .357 sig middle of the road, 10MM I do load hot, but not dangerous hot. .223, low end of the scae.

the disks are pretty good, I used the double disk for rifle however. the dillon is much better, but pretty irrelevant to your question.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
I just reloaded 100 rounds of 380 ammo with 3 grains of AA2 on the ProAutoDisk and each charge was 3 with an occasional +.1
Very funny. I loaded 500 380's this afternoon. I only measured the first and last rounds, all were loaded on my 550B.

It was 3.7gr of AA #2 under a PD 95 gr FMJ/FP, CCI SP primers. I love #2 for normal pressure 380 practice loads. These were for reliability testing (and break in) of my newish Kahr CT380 (and practice draw from the holster for a 3 shot Mozambique), and maybe also practice racking that tiny slide with a recoil spring worthy of a bank vault.

PS - to make this rambling post relevant to the thread, I have never seen an appreciable difference in consistency of drops between powder drops of various brands, unless they leak, etc. Drop consistency is all about the powder, powders like #2 meter like water, powders like 800X don't meter well in any drop.

If you come on and tell me your $250 xyz brand drop meters 800X within .1 gr drop to drop, I will tell you to spend a little more on a scale, because the one you have is on the fritz. :)

· Registered
4,734 Posts
After fiddling with the Lee beam scale and two other digital scales, I settled on Dillon beam. I wouldn't have anything else now. I remember watching a youtube vid where guy placed a small cheap camera on his beam scale and projected the image to an old cheap tv on his work bench so he could read it. Looked like a simple setup.

· Registered
173 Posts
Guess I'm the odd one out. I have a Auto Drum and use it only for 45-70. Don't really care for it as much because turning into the die is much harder than the Auto Disk. The other reason I've been using the Auto Disk is that it's a fixed cavity and it can't possibly come out of adjustment or drop more than that.

Been using it for decades and it's probably tough to learn new tricks. As to the scale, I'm still using the Lyman 500 that was given to me by a friend in the early 80s.
I've also used the Auto Drum and changed back to the Lee Pro Auto Disk. On most of the calibers I reload I'll work up the loads using the Adjustable charge bar in the Auto Disk. Once I find the powder charge I like, I take a disk with a hole that's under the CC I have set on the adjustable charge bar and I'll file it out until I get the powder weight I want. It can be a bit tedious, but once it's done it's done. I also get less leakage with AA #9 using the Pro Auto Disk.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.