Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, figured there was going to be a first post, so it might as well be this! I just got (today in fact) my first Glock (G19). I have a CPL, and was wondering, can I leave my pistol in my moms car? I car pool with her, and was wondering if I can bring my pistol with us, and leave it in her car after she drops me off. Her work is maybe 15 minutes from mine. Can I just leave it in her glovebox?

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
117,525 Posts
Hello, figured there was going to be a first post, so it might as well be this! I just got (today in fact) my first Glock (G19). I have a CPL, and was wondering, can I leave my pistol in my moms car? I car pool with her, and was wondering if I can bring my pistol with us, and leave it in her car after she drops me off. Her work is maybe 15 minutes from mine. Can I just leave it in her glovebox?
Sure, if it's legal for her to possess a concealed handgun wherever she drives & parks. Make sure she approves.
But you risk having your gun stolen and possibly used in crimes. Laws vary from state to state, so YMMV.

You can buy various "safes" which lock up a pistol, hidden under a car seat or in a console.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Lol, it was my nick name in high school. Pretty much comes with the territory. I am big, tall, hairy, and can do the best Wookie yell EVA!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She doesn't yet have a CPL. She is going to get one within a couple weeks. The idea of locking it in a safe in the trunk is a good one. I am not too worried about any thefts. She parks in a lot that is under guard (it's actually the parking lot for Qwest Field).

·
BrownWaterNavy
95 Posts
better check your state law - so many different rules and you would feel sad if she gets in trouble transporting YOUR pistol

·
5th of November
1,528 Posts
...(it's actually the parking lot for Qwest Field).
I'm betting Qwest Field doesn't allow firearms on its property except for those carried by on-duty police officers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm betting Qwest Field doesn't allow firearms on its property except for those carried by on-duty police officers.
That is actually a good point that I didn't consider. I will have to look into more. Thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Also I believe in the state of Washington you are not allowed to carry a loaded handgun in a car without a CPL whether locked up or not. I will have to look it up because I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

·
Leonum A Ignis
3,381 Posts
Why not just carry it? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Welcome to GT! Be sure and ask all the ?'s you can. We got some very smart guys on here. Some of em may poke you in the eye with a stick, but for the most part there's lots of good info here. Just be sure and double check.

btw- good choice on a first gun.

·
Registered
30,307 Posts
It depends on your state laws.
First the person in possession of the gun must be able to lawfully be in possession of the gun.
Some states allow the driver to keep a loaded gun in their car without any kind of carry license. Some states don't.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Id say lock it in a case, and leave it in the trunk. In a locked case, out of reach of the driver, just store the ammo out side of the case with the firearm and you'd be safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TsTanField, thanks for the info, that is a BIG help! So, from reading that, she should be safe if I put it in the trunk of her car, and then lock a mag in the glove box. I was NOT going to keep it loaded. I just wanted to keep it in her car so that if I wanted to, I could carry after work if we went walking around Seattle or something.

H&K 4 Life, TRUST ME! I would LOVE to do that, and personally would feel safer at work if others did the same. But I would be fired faster than you can say Glock. It just pisses me off that they limit my ability to protect my co-workers should anyone come in here with intent to harm. Yeah, like a "Weapon Free Zone" is going to stop some mad man.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts