close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

leaving a cat for 3-5days maybe 6 days

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by noway, Sep 9, 2006.

1. noway

noway

Can a cat be left alone with enough water/food for 3-6days top? If so how do you do it? and what kinda of stress does this put on a animal?

My current job has me going out on business trips 1-6days at a time. i just picked up a SH cat that seems okay with me and his new enviroment but I'm worry about what todo if I have to travel which might be in about 7weeks or so.

2. yo_eddy

yo_eddy

My limit is 3-4 days. Beyond that, I get someone to come in every other day. With enough food and water, they are probably fine even longer, but the litter box becomes a problem. Depends on the cat, but a packed litter box can stress them out, and you may be in for some surprises when you get back.

3. Sapperstang

Sapperstang Paratrooper

We've left ours for up to four days with not probs. But for six you might want to have somebody come over. Or maybe get one of those self cleaning litter boxes?

4. noway

noway

Will I got 2 big litter boxes situated thru out the house, Could put out a third if needed and kitty litter for me is cheap.

I was wondering if the upto 6days of isolation would cause atitude or other emotional problems to arise ?

5. 9jeeps

9jeeps

I think you would be much better off with a porcelain Cat. They don't get lonely, I'm told. :upeyes:

Since you ask.....Anything more than overnight....not a good plan. Yes you can do it but......I would ask that you don't. FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.

As for you others who leave em for several days. Are cats wind up toys for your entertainment? Then why treat em like it?

:sad:

6. hankhan

hankhan Guest

Depends on the cat. Is this one of those attention hogging cats that loves to sit on your lap? or is an independent cat you rarely see?
    I've got both types and they have very different needs.

7. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Why not take kitty to a proper boarding place?

8. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

My first indoor cat Patches had my roomy to tend to her, she was beside herself in my absence, for only three days. She would run from the front picture window and to the back door every time a car came into the culdesac. The second time I left her after I moved I had someone came over to tend to her, she stopped grooming and was a bit of a nervous wreak when I got back! Cats are community animals once they bond to thier humans, you become thier family.

:hearts:

I strongly recomend you get someone to tend to your little one. I mean daily visits and play, brushing, talking to him/her, if they know the visitor that is. This is just my spin on caring for cats having had three, (currently two) indoor cats over the past 15 years. :thumbsup::cat: :cat:

9. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I always either get someone to come in and check food and water each day and scoop their box if I am gone........

Most times with vacation and I am driving my boys go with me.....yep. I have a stash of tranquilizers from the vet and the few times in the past 2 years they have gone with me. I stay at pet friendly hotels (Motel 6's usually) and we are good to go. I feel better having the boys with me.

Kitties get lonely and if they are the "only" cat they really need someone to come in and just pet and talk to them, and maybe play a little with them.

Have you thought about getting your kitty a kitten?? Would he tolerate that?? You'd probably have to get a 2nd box if you are away for 3 or 4 days. They do tend to get pretty poopy after a few days.

10. noway

noway

Will a second cat is out of the question, that's double the fun,double the food/water, double the amount of possible trouble and double the amount of stuff coming out of him in the box ;)

What I'm going todo is start leaving him "home alone" and widen the intervals. Next weekend will be idea since I'm hunting a new zone for deer season and will most likely campout, so my cat will be alone for 2 days.

The water/food issues are straighten out and a second and or third kitty box wouldn't be that much of a problem.

Noway I would take a cat with me on a trip. I personally don't see cats like a dog where you can just pack dem in the car/van and off you go. My cat cried the whole 30mins from the humane society to my home and I have to take him again to the vet, in the "cat taxi" container , and think god it's only 2 blocks away.

He should be fine alone for upto 4-5days and if I let a fly or two in, he would stay busy chasing them around ;) ( he seems to hate flying insect and enjoys trying , let me repeat, trying to catch them he also thinks he can catch ants and spiders also )

11. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I leave mine at home when we go away. She does not like the car or her carrier AT ALL, and does not care for being away from home either. I figure leaving her in her own home with her own things is the least stressful option for her.

My parents live close and don't mind checking on her and the house about every day or so. I set up the perpetual food/water dispensers and two clean litter boxes and she's good to go for awhile.

12. HarlDane

HarlDane

+1 I never understand when someone thinks a cage at the Kennel is better than the house the cat is used to.

13. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I'd be more uncomfortable about leaving her if my parents weren't there to check on things for us. But then, it's nice to have them keep an eye on the place anyway, to bring mail in and such too.