Leave Appliances Running When Leaving House?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jan 29, 2020.

1. No

61 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. Yes

67 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I never leave the house with the dishwasher, clothes washer or dryer in operation. If I take a whiz before leaving, I even make sure the water to the toilet has stopped flowing before I go out the door. (in warm weather I pee after I go out the door)
    If I am going to be away overnight I even shut off the breaker to the well pump just in case there is a problem and something springs a leak while I'm gone.
    A few years ago my oldest brother and his wife left the washing machine running while they went to church and a late breakfast. They came home and a connection to the washer had blown a gasket...ruined their hardwood floor and sub flooring in the kitchen and laundry room and made a mess in the cellar.
    Do you leave the household machines running when you aren't home??

2. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I do. You may have less insurance claims in your future than me, but I will turn the washing machine or dishwasher on and leave.

czsmithGT, -JCN- and HarlDane like this.

3. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

leave everything running, but will make sure toilet tank is filled and shutoff beforehand. If I'm gone for an extended amount of time of a few weeks I will shut the water inside the house, and turn hot water heater down.

4. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I installed water bugs which send a notification to my phone if there's a problem. so I dont have a problem leaving while the washer or dishwasher is running.

on a side note, my parents left for a trip and came back to find the kitchen soaked because a valve on the fridge in door dispenser broke (valve started leaking). After talking to the tech, apparently this is more common that one would think, especially if you don't have RO water to the fridge. And this was not a cheap fridge. It's one of those $9000 kitchenmaid built in fridges.

So now they turn off the water to the fridge when the travel.

-JCN-, mj9mm and FullClip like this.
  5. Tvov

Tvov

I will leave the dishwasher and clothes washer running when I leave for local errands, but not the clothes dryer. Potential for flooding is a pain, can be bad, but can be cleaned up....... but a house fire just wipes everything clean.

When we go out of town, everything is off. If we are gone for a week or more, I shut off the water heater.

6. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Yes. I’ll leave the washing machine running. But not the dryer. I am the dishwasher so if I leave, no dishes are getting washed.

7. xdmikey

xdmikey

Don't have a dishwasher and we run the washer & dryer in the evening.

My buddy who lives at Lake Fork turns off his water heater when he goes to weekend flea markets for work but it sure does suck when he comes home dirty on Sunday night!

8. mj9mm

mj9mm

depends on the appliance for sure. my Dishwasher is fairly new and in good shape, i trust it. never for my washing machine, it bangs the heck out of itself when the load is off balance, the dryer is trusted. if i am going to be gone for more than 12 hours, i shut things down. going to be gone for a weekend or more, i will close valves and shut off a few breakers. easier to not worry about things.

Intolerant and FullClip like this.
  9. Caver 60

Caver 60

Wife worries about it more than me. I do make sure the commode has stopped running if I'm leaving. I don't worry about the well. I would not start a load of clothes or dishes in the washer and then walk out the door for the rest of the day.

But heck a washer hose can burst while you're sleeping and flood the entire house before you wake up in the morning.

lazarus66, faceplant and Redeemed like this.
  10. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I often set my washing machine to start about two hours before I plan to get home. That way when I get home I can throw the stuff straight in the dryer.

Dishwasher has a four hour delay setting, and I'll do the same thing with it.

I work with a lady who actually stays in the room with the washing machine while the clothes are washing. THAT'S a new level of paranoid.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

NO WAY on the washer, dryer or dishwasher. Too many things can go wrong, the washer can go off-balance and there's no one home to stop it, could damage itself....the dryer can malfunction and its heater can stay on indefinitely, burn the whole place down...and the dishwasher can overfill and flood the whole house (so can the washer)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  12. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

All the time. Saying you don't leave the house with anything running is like saying you won't drive your car anywhere 'cuz it might break down. What's the point of having automatic devices such as a dishwasher, clothes washer/dryer if you aren't' going to let them do the work? Most of the appliances in my house are newer and I trust them.
    Do you turn your hot water heater and refrigerator off when you leave the house?

13. Jon_R

Jon_R

I don’t worry about it and will let them run while gone. The only significant issue I had was a pin size hole on the cold water line for the washer but it was the copper in the wall behind the washer. I don’t think running or not would have mattered. I thought it was a leak from the washer until i smashed the drywall and found it. Had to toss some wood vinyl flooring. FL house so concrete floor under that.

Caver 60 likes this.
  14. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

I don't leave them running.
    I'd rather put out a small fire or stop a small leak than come home and find the fire department got there too late.
    :drowning:

15. Pluto57

Pluto57

Not really the same thing. Unattended appliances can malfunction and cause damage. If one is home one can mitigate the damage. I let all the appliances do the work, but I prefer to let them do the work while I'm around. That being said, I have been known to leave the house with the dishwasher running. I don't leave the washer running, but that has as much to do with not wanting the wet clothes sitting for any length of time in the washer as it does worrying about a malfunction.

NoStress, PEC-Memphis and Caver 60 like this.
  16. Pluto57

Pluto57

Yep, that's why between laundry days, I shut the valve off.

FullClip likes this.
  17. Dave514

Dave514

Depends on what it is. I leave my fridge running. If I'm going to be gone for days I will go as far as unplugging a number of things and shutting off the water.

Incidentally, friends just had a toilet valve blow(the one coming through the wall) and it flooded their house and destroyed their finished basement. Nightmares do happen.

18. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

We never leave appliances running when we leave the house. tom. :cowboy:

19. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I placed ball shutoff valves on my washing machine so I could shut them off every time I finished, and used stainless hoses anyway. They can fail. I've seen claims where they failed. Too many other things can fail to list.
    For overnight trips, I turn off the water to the house and I turn the gas water heater valve to pilot. I still have hot water when I get home.
    I recommend unplugging small resistance appliances when not using them-toaster, toaster oven, electric heater, etc. My friend had a toaster start a fire around bed time, it was not being used at the time. She was going to bed, but the cat would not follow her upstairs. She went down to check and the fire was too far along to put out. She got a new kitchen out of it, but had smoke damage throughout the house and could not move back in for 6 months.

NoStress, Intolerant, Tvov and 2 others like this.
  20. RPK Clone

RPK Clone

Never. Other than the refrigerator, of course.
    We always make sure the toilet has stopped running before leaving also but I'm usually comfortable with that if I hear the flapper close.
    But I'm so paranoid that I cant even use a crockpot unless we're home.
    I envy those people that can put their stuff in the crockpot, go to work, and come home to a cooked meal.

I didn't worry so much about it before I had pets but I can't do it now with them in the house.

R*E, FullClip, Resqu2 and 2 others like this.