close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

(Leather) Crossbreed, Comp-Tac, etc.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ricklee4570, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

What are the long term effects on the leather on these holsters from sweat?

For continual use in hot weather, some have recommended the horsehide leather. What are the detrimental effects on cowhide in hot summer months?

2. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

Primarily, the possibility of stench.

Most leather holsters get softer/floppier/worse with use and perspiration, the Crossbreed/MTAC will soften and become more and more comfortable. Horsehide is much closer "grained" than cow, thus having a higher resistance to moisture.

I've MTAC's that have been worn through many hot Aridzona summers, and they are extremely comfortable....luckily, my perspiration hasn't made 'em stink.

3. vmann

vmann Controller

the sweat issue is the main reason i would go with a mtac vrs the crossbreed...the crossbreed doesnt have the extra leather piece to cover up the rivets, and i have seen well worn crossbreeds tha thave the rivets on the back rusted up...otherwise, i would think if your going to use a crossbreed, or mtac, you might be replacing it every few years if its a problem...

4. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Does anyone know if there is any product that should be used on the leather to protect it from absorbing the sweat?

5. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I got the CBST in horsehide, and I live in S. Florida. I've only had it for a couple of months, and admittedly I don't work outdoors. But, I'd recommend considering wearing an undershirt. It just makes things more comfortable regardless. But, it probably would help with the sweat issue, too.

6. Ducowti

Ducowti

Nothing permanent. You have to periodically reapply beeswax or similar wax to water-resist it. Notice I didn't say waterPROOF, as you can't waterproof leather. Usage will dictate how often you must re-treat.

7. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I notice that my leather watchband will develop a "smell" to it in the summer.

I just started to carry my Glock in an mtac and wondered if the leather would react the same when sweat started to play a role in the summer. I did a search and didnt find anything. I wondered if this was not a problem or just not something anyone ever discusses!

8. dagwag77

dagwag77

Been using the same crossbreed supertuck for about a year, granted we only have a few months of "hot" weather here in Boston, but I've never had a problem with the CBST, and giving it the sniff test night now doesn't smell funky - but I do wear a t-shirt undershirt every day though, sometimes under the cbst sometimes over, depending on wardrobe