Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little girl became really frustrated at learning to ride once we took the training wheels off. Encouragement only made it worse. And any attempt at instruction was met with tears. It didn’t help that her older brother attempted to give her pointers. He just made her mad and she would storm off and quit trying. After several days and later weeks, growing more frustrated with each attempt, she quit never to ride again. There was nothing I could do to encourage her and that was that.

Fast forward 15 years and my young woman is now a college junior. She thoroughly enjoys spin classes at the campus fitness center. When she was home over Christmas, she got a one month Y membership so she could do spin classes at home.

Now home due to the Corona virus, the Y is closed and she can’t do spin classes. She has done some light jogging to stay in shape though. This week, she asked if I would get a bike out of the storage because she wanted to learn to ride.

So, we went to our church parking lot today. And I said very little in terms of instruction or encouragement. And after 35 minutes of putting a foot down over and over, she finally got it figured out. And then she rode around the parking lot for 10 minutes. And just like that, my 21 year old daughter learned to ride a bike today.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Kids are the best teachers when it comes to bike riding.

·
Registered
14,396 Posts
When we were kids, our bikes were our freedom.....they took us all over, carried us through all sorts of adventures and home again, taught us to be mechanics, and readied us for adulthood by getting us to our jobs before we could drive....

They were a big part of our lives.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Outstanding, Dad.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wait till you try and teach her to drive a manual shift car. Two of my four kids refused to do it after one try.
Not going to happen. Taught her to drive on an automatic. Mom wouldn’t have anything to do with it. I’m lucky I’m still alive. She is not a “natural” to driving or biking. She is a natural to reading, writing, math, foreign language, and everything academics. I’ll take that as a compromise.

My son was a natural athlete. Everything came easy, with a little practice. He learned to drive a stick. No problem.

She is an academic. So, she took a long, long time to learn to ride a bike. No problem. I’m happy with both.

·
Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner
14,544 Posts
give em a bike and tell em "there it is"

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
What a lot of people fail to understand is that the faster you go, the greater the gyroscopic effect from the bicycle wheels.

In other words, once the wheels of a bicycle begin performing as gyroscopes, the bicycle becomes MUCH more stable and much less likely to will fall over.

Beginning riders are oftentimes too afraid to go fast enough to let the wheels help them stay up.

That explains why a lot of beginners learn so much more quickly when their dad runs alongside them and then give them a huge PUSH. At that moment their confidence increases by 1,000% without the dad or the kid understanding the physics that is being applied.

Try this experiment:
- Stand on a lazy susan while holding a bicycle wheel by the axles.
- Spin the bicycle wheel at a slow speed.
- Try to push the person holding the bicycle wheel to one side.
- No problem?
- Then spin the bicycle wheel at a fast speed.
- Try to push the person holding the bicycle wheel to one side.
- Hmmmmmmmm?!?! Not so easy?!?! Maybe even impossible?!?!?
- SCIENCE!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts